• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question from a friend!

Hey again everyone,

Have a friend in Australia that asked me a question yesterday whilst chatting on MSN and I couldn't give him an answer, so told him I'd find out.

He was given two "brother rabbits" by his parents as a present. He's wanted rabbits ever since I started talking about them, and he's been a really good daddy.

Except. They're not brothers. They're brother and sister, and He-man has fertilised She-rah (formerly Captain America)...oops.

He's quite keen on keeping the babies, and had a few questions for me. He's quite well off (24, just graduated law school, with awards, etc, and his parents have a lot of money) so money's not a problem. He's wondering if the family would be able to live as a pack, mostly. Of course they'd need to be neutered (He-man's already being done today), but...is it possible? Could they all live as a happy family together?

When coming up to having to neuter them, how should he separate them? What age? How long? What groups? Sons with dad and daughters with mom? Mom and dad together, brothers together, daughters together? etc...

Can anyone give me a breakdown of what the possibilities are for this group of rabbits?

Edited for sex mix up

Can't comment on the neutering sides of things but certainally dont keep the father in with mum and babies.
I've read in many books that the buck can turn on the babies and kill them, also a week - 2 weeks after the birth they will be mating again :roll:
Rachel

Fluffybunny said:
Can't comment on the neutering sides of things but certainally dont keep the father in with mum and babies.
I've read in many books that the buck can turn on the babies and kill them, also a week - 2 weeks after the birth they will be mating again :roll:
Rachel

the doe can become pregnant again within 4 hours of birth.

the first step is to have dad neutered now. Then the six weeks of hormones/fertility passes whilst the litter is being raised and intros will be much easier.

Yep, they can live as a group but will need to spend some time apart whilst neutering is done.

I think it was said it the other thread 8 weeks from mum and 10 weeks into seperate sexes so. If he does that they he can have the boys neutered when they reach 14-16 weeks (get testicles). You'd need to check with the vet how long after pregnancy to wait until the mum is spayed. Once she is done and has recovered you can match up her and dad (who was neutered awhile ago). The reintroduce the babies.

Atleast thats roughly the order I'd try things.

Tam

Well, He-man's booked in today for his neutering, so no more baby making for him!

I did ask my friend to give them more decent names, but then again, his guppies' names are Blub, Bubble, Zebra and Spike. *sigh*

I've copy-pasted everything into a word document, and will send it to him later, I'll just give it some more time to see if anyone else has any answers.

How much chance do you guys *really* think there is in the entire family living as a happy pack once everyone's been neutered?

my kits/rabbits now, have been have been separated from there mum for just over a months now and have been separated into sexes, the three boys live toether and a soon to be neutered. and the three does live toether, i am soon to get the mother spayed, which can happen after 10 weeks of giving birth. but they all live in close quarters, and show no signs of aggresion.

but my question is how is your friend going to house all these as one group, my all run together sort of, but having 10 odd rabbits all living in a shed and not be separated, i am not sure it could work because of the space, dont hold me to that though.

i just want all mine to run together but only time will tell......

I'm not sure what he's planning, but I think the main plan is to get a huge shed with a large run attached. They'd own the shed, I think. And I mean HUGE, from what he was saying.

You know...maybe I should try and marry him again (ex fiance :oops:)...bunnies and money...hmmmm

I've certainly heard of people having neutered litters kept together. So I don't see a problem with adding mum and dad too. I'd recommend having the girls neutered aswell (when they are old enough) to make sure there are as few hormones running around as possible.

Tam

i did not say you couldnt, just wondered what sort of housing you could house that many rabbits in altogether without fights breaking out.

I always advise everyone I come across to neuter their buns, so he's gotten the lecture already. ;)

He was being good and booked both in to go this week, but they bonked before it all happened...

Hi Maaike, I had two twin males UN natured (Pinkie n Perky) living together. Don’t ask how it just worked out. But I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone to even try! :lol:

I think a pack can live together but all must be neutered as females will fight or mate, and the males will either fight and kill each other or mate.

Back