• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Distressed rabbit and owner, please help!

MissB

Young Bun
Yesterday I took my rabbit to the vets for her first check up. (She is 7 months old).

I was really nervous because the last time I went to the vet was to take my dear Harley to be neutered and he didn't wake up.

This was a different vet who came highly recommended, however the trip was a bit of disaster!

Mabel had her VHD jab and I was told she was in very good health, but was a bit mucky around her bottom so the vet advised me on some diet changes and gave her a bit of a comb.

Then she actually CUT her with the comb!! I was dumbstruck!! She had to have emergency glue to seal the wound and a course of antibiotics.

I have spent the evening trying to give her a syringeful of the medicine but she is very distressed and has been sulking all day. Not her usual perky self at all. She even growled and looked like she'd bite me - something she would never have done before.

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with distressed rabbits or adminstering medication? I would greatly appreciate some friendly feedback from people who love their rabbits as much as I do.

Thanks
MissB and Mabel X

ow you poor thing, i would give her her medication and then leave her be, let her get over her stress, she will forget about it in a couple of days and you can fuss over her then... how the hell did she cut her wth a comb?

my girl growls at me all the time, she likes to let me know whos boss :D

Oh dear! That must have been a bit of a shock!

MAbel will be stressed to say the least, poor bun!

Right, first of all did they give you painkiller for you to administer?

Secondly, was it Baytril antibiotics? You could try giving it to her sprinkled over her food but make sure she eats it all or you could try hiding it in a bit of mushed fruit or you could add it to juice (ribena lite, unsweetened pineapple or apple juice). We're currently administering baytril with the same amount of apple juice and that seems to be going down fine.

Thirdly, do you have any Rescue Remedy to relieve stress (buns and yours)

Lastly, I know it's hard but try and leave her alone for a while as she will be traumatised by the vet visit.

I really don't know!! I was standing right in front of her and she was being held by a nurse and being combed very gently by the vet. Then she gasped when she saw an open wound.

We were all slightly gobsmacked and they were very upset about it. They were certainly more understanding than my last vet.

I've got to take her back Monday so they can check on her. I was thinking of getting her spayed but don't think I could take the pressure.

MissB

PS Mabel is downstairs having some quiet time. Lets hope she's feeling more like herself in the morning.

maybe someone near you could recommend another vet, or pm tamsin she may know of a recommended vets near you?

I agree how did the vet manage to do that ? was it one of those comb's with a built in Razor blade ?

I also agree that you should let her chill a bit, but keep a very close eye on her. feeding a bun via syringe can be quite a task. One of our tricks is that I hold the rabbit in my arms with its head over my shoulder (like you would to wind a baby) I use my head to limit the rabbits head movement Then my hubby stands behind me and inserts the syringe in the gap between the teeth and squirts.

you could also try and position yourself on the floor where she is lyeing and try and catch her off guard ( easy if there isnt much that needs to be given)

Try not to be too forcefull, but after a few attempts you will get the hang of it. With our 4 we have had to try different techniques each time ( they must warn eachother ;) ), but with more experience you will get the hang of it.

We dont really recommend you use the "trance" technique as its possible to choke the rabbit.

Hiya,

Rabbits do sometimes sulk after being to the vets and get grumpy. She's probably a little stressed too. As for the antibiotics you can try hiding them in something like a piece of apple. It taste abit icky so you might need to spread it over a couple of pieces. If that doesn't work then to do it directly with a syringe place a thick towel on your lap and sit her facing away from you. You need to pop the syring in her mouth sideways just behind the front teeth. There is a gap there. If you lean across her that should 'pin her down' so she doesn't wriggle too much.

Tam

Hi all,
Its not such a rare occurrence as you might think :wink: !

Over many years I have seen vets/staff do this accidentally on occasion & then have to repair it!

Trouble is rabbits skin is just soo fragile & very thin, so it does make it more susceptible to this kind of damage. Grooming can be a real worry if they have any knots or mats & it is safer to just clip it off than attempt pulling it with a comb, as even a slight bit of tension can cause a horrid rip. :roll:

It is a shock though! :shock:

Miss b i presume u are in bromley kent.I know it would be a bit of a trek but my vet caroline at the animal clinic is fantastic with rabbits we take all our rescue buns to her for treatments and for spayes and castrations, i would trust her with my life. She has had such a lot of experience with rabbits and has a specielist at the end of the phone. The vets is called the animal clinic and is on shooters hill rd blackheath. They do have a branch at catford as well, but she is the only vet i will allow to operate on my and the rescues rabbits. The phone number is 0208 3193033. Please say i have recomended u , she is worth the travel. val

I have found the best way to give medicine from a syringe is to kneel on the floor with the rabbit between your knees making sure they can't go backwards or twist to the side. You hold their head with one hand and lift the lips on one side, slip in the syringe and squirt it in. They will try to back away, but can't. This is easiest with the really small 1ml syringes. My Merlin HATES his baytril, but he can't get away. The only rabbit this hasn't worked on is Strawberry, my giant New Zealand, as his head is too big, and he is too strong :? I'm not quite sure what I will do if he ever needs much medicine :? But then he drinks gallons so I would put it in his water :)

Miss b i presume u are in bromley kent.

I use a vet in Thornton Heath (Nelsons) and they are fab. Never had a problem with them, they have helped me loads with all my animals and they are very compassionate! It might be a little far for you, but would be well worth it I think!

Vera[/code]

Thanks to all that have taken the time to reply.

Mabel seems a little happier this morning but still not her old self. I'll keep a close eye on her. Wish me luck with the medication this afternoon!! I think I'll try the between the knees plan!

I wll go back to the vet on Monday and see how I feel about it. They had been recommended to me because of their reputation with small animals including rabbits. I just can't beleive the bad luck I have.

Does anyone else know of a good vet in the Bromley area? The others seem a bit far to travel.

Ahhh poor mabel...... you could try squirting baytril onto pieces of brocolli as it seems to soak in a little....used to work with one of mine.....or mash up a little bit of banana and mix it in....this is what I am doing with some medication for mine at the moment and seems to be working.....

Hope mabel is feeling better soon.......

Thank you Alice - the mashed banana was the answer!! I didn't know they liked it but Mabel gulped it down.

She seems much happier know, she sat and had a cuddle yesterday and even did an on-the-spot hop!! I can tell she hasn't fully recovered because she hasn't been stretched out on her side relaxing since the VEE EE TEE!

Her new diet it working a treat though, apart from the banana, she has been having only hay and fresh grass and her poops are much healthier and a lot less smelly! So at least one good thing came of it.

Hope to post some photos later!! :rabbit2:

I hope that the vet doesn't charge you a consultation fee for going back, after all they've done this to her. I didn't realise that a follow up appointment at my vet's was so expensive... 13pounds just to look at her feet and say "Yeah, they look better" I could do that for free!
I hope your little girl feels better soon!

Went back to vets for check up today and all is well! Hooray!! :D

Mabel was very well behaved, although I'm sure that was due to pure fear! The vet was lovely and so gentle with her and she apologised for the trauma she'd caused.. and there was no charge!!

Mabel has returned to her old self, hopping onto my lap to be cuddled, so I think she has just about forgiven me!

Going to the vets is such a stressful time for me as I seem to be doomed with bad luck. Is it really necessary that I get her spayed? She is not showing any behaviour problems. Any advice would be gratefully received.
MissB

Yes it is, in my opinion.

Most texts will quote an unspeyed female rabbit to have an 80% chance to develop uterine cancer by age four. This is NOT nice.

I agree with Cheryl.......rabbit skin can be quite fragile, and in my experience, the plumper females have the most fragile skin! Take me for example :lol: :lol: :lol: <only joking!>

I have one bunny and there is no way I can ever comb her, as I only have to look at her and a little tear almost appears!! It can be so easy to do, and I personally would not blame a nurse for this happening. You will just have to be sure to tell them at the vets in future, in case they think they are doing you a good turn by 'tidying' her up!

I hope she gets better fast - it sounds as though your vet was quite concerned about her, which is a good thing :)

MissB said:
Went back to vets for check up today and all is well! Hooray!! :D

Mabel was very well behaved, although I'm sure that was due to pure fear! The vet was lovely and so gentle with her and she apologised for the trauma she'd caused.. and there was no charge!!

Mabel has returned to her old self, hopping onto my lap to be cuddled, so I think she has just about forgiven me!

Going to the vets is such a stressful time for me as I seem to be doomed with bad luck. Is it really necessary that I get her spayed? She is not showing any behaviour problems. Any advice would be gratefully received.
MissB
Good girl Mabel!!! Glad she's on the mend and its lovely how quick they forgive you for the horrid V.E.T. visits.... probably something to do with the food/treats we keep giving them. Regarding the spaying, you have to weigh up the pros and cons. All the literature recommends it. After your 2 bad experiences I can understand your reluctance. I'm sure I've read on here that its not such a major operation for a girly bun as a male bun. Happy reading!! :wink:

Back