• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Check ups?

The Fonz

Warren Scout
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering how often you guys take your bunns for check ups? I took Fonzie about a month after I got her, and although we've been to the vet since, it wasn't for a check up? Should a bunny MOT be a yearly thing? :?

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Ha ha guess it is, I meant to say when they have their jabs they have a proper check up then. Soz that was my fault.

Ooooooh! I was so worried! I've been sat here thinking to myself "Fonzie hasn't had a proper health check! What kind of person am I?!" lol!! :lol:

I do the same, once a year for their jabs and they get a check over then too. Unfortunately my buns tend to see the vet far more often than once a year so they get checked over a lot!!! Especially Pippa who is keeping Bayer (makers of Baytril) in profits!! :lol:

As long as buns are healthy then once a year is fine. As we are such diligent bunny mums we soon spot if something is amiss anyhow :)

Nicola

I find it usual to have a check up each time a bun is vaccinated - therefore, if they have myxi vac twice a year and then vhd once a year they get checked up three times - or in the case of the Hairy Mob - nearly once a month :shock:
I do recommend (as do a lot of vets) that any bun over the age of 5 gets proper check ups once a year - this should include blood tests - as they approach the age of 7 or 8 then I would do this twice a year - that's what we try to do here with our oldies :D Expensive I know but worth it.
A good health check would be ears, eyes, nose, teeth, claws, joints, chest, abdomen and bottom. We can check a lot of these things ourselves at home but a vet would know the feel of the abdomen and be able to listen to the chest properly. So I would say that the above health check should be done before each vaccination.

Once every 6 months when they go in for their jabs. Our vet doesn't like to give vaccinations to an unhealthy bunny, so they get a good prodding first.

Yep, the vet should check them out before giving jabs. If they are showing signs of illness they shouldn't get jabbed so their immune system doesn't get overloaded.

Tam

Mine get checked every couple of months - only because I'm such a wimp that I'm too frightened to clip their nails, so they go to the vet :oops: :oops:

They also get their 'weightwatchers' weigh in at the same time :?

Hi all!!

Thanks so much for all your replies! I'm always worrying about Fonzie! I think two check ups a year sounds like a good idea!

they have myxi vac twice a year

Fonzie only had one last year, and the vet said she'd need a booster for myxi and vhd every year after that. Is your bunn an outdoor bunn?

Mine get checked every couple of months - only because I'm such a wimp that I'm too frightened to clip their nails, so they go to the vet

I know how you feel! I bought some bunny nail clippers to spare Fonzie the stress of having to go to the vet every couple of months, but I took her to see the nurse so she could show me how to use the clippers properly and she just took Fonzie away in to the back and did it!!!! I was so mad! We told one of the vets and she got the nurse to come back and she was like "oh, you wanted a demonstration?", and I sat there and thought "No, I'm just sat here with some nail clippers because I thought it'd be amusing!" Then she man-handled Fonzie back out of her carrier and started blurting out this that and the other really quickly so I'm still none the wiser! We're going to see the actual vet this time!! :evil:

If they are showing signs of illness they shouldn't get jabbed so their immune system doesn't get overloaded

Yeah, the day Fonzie was due to have her second jab she had a real funny spell where she couldn't walk or focus on anything, so we rushed her to the vet and he kept her in. Luckily she was absolutely fine a couple of hours later, but he kept her over night and said he didn't want to give her the second vaccination for another few weeks just to be sure.

Thanks again for all your replies!! I can't help but worry!! :roll:

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Back