• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daily veggies

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what veggies are safe to feed my bunny everyday? He gets bored with just his dry food and hay.

Thanks

:bunny:

well what do you give now?

i give greens,kale,brocolli,celery,pepper, baby corn, and a small piece of friut ever other day.

well more or less.

well i feed my lot carrots apple broccolli and greens the guineas don't get so much apple as it is supposed to be bad for them!?!? the acid in it was supposed to burn their lips, that is what i read any way, they also get corn on the cob (The guineas)

sometimes i throw a bit of extras veg now and agian so they would see these as a 'treats' as i dont give those honey sticks and things like that as they are fatting!!!

I tend to give him celery, sprouts, mange tout, baby corn and carrots (if he`ll eat them, hes really fussy!)......so judging from your replies i seem to be on the right track. He has some apple and parsley every other day or so as a treat.

Thanks for all your help folks!!!

sweetie said:
He gets bored with just his dry food and hay.
Not sure what others think, but when I spoke to my vet about the best diet, he thought that hay, hay and more hay was best, and to view pellets and veg as supplements (i.e. no need to give much of either, just enough to provide access to nutrients etc not supplied by hay) rather than as fundamental parts of their diet.

It works for me at the moment, but I'd always thought of veg as being pretty fundamental rather than a supplement.

So if he is bored one alternative would be (if practical) to try different types of hay, readigrass etc with the odd veggie here and there as a treat?

Not sure what others think? Perhaps in practice you've got to have a bunny who loves his/her hay to follow my vet's advice?!

My guys get daily veg, but they are normally gone within 30 minutes to an hour... Pellets take about 20 minutes a day to eat. The other 22 hours and 40 minutes are hay and dried grass... :lol:

Veg and hay should be the main part of the diet, I wouldnt be keen on the idea of cutting down on veg.

Mine have a huge bowl of veg, different from week to week but they eat:

Carrot
Celery
Cucumber
Spring Greens
Romaine lettuce
Radish
Curly Kale
Spinich
Parsley
Mint
Corriander
Apple (not every day)
Banana and skins (treat)

Mine has a supply of hay all day along with his dried food, the veggies are given when we get back from work around the same time as we have our evening meal. The bun has got used to this now and knows when its tea time!

Sweetie said:
Mine has a supply of hay all day along with his dried food, the veggies are given when we get back from work around the same time as we have our evening meal. The bun has got used to this now and knows when its tea time!
Aye, and don't they get grumpy if you are late !!!! If he hasn't been fed by 9am (he gets his food in the morning) then he starts stomping on the bottom of his hutch. My neighbours must love me on a sunday when I am trying to lie in and the bun is going nuts :D

Anyway, back to food. I bought one of those stainless steel hanging rods that you can get to put fruit on for parrots. I have hung it from Ben's run and put his bits of fruit on that. Make his work for the sugar and stop him getting fat ! And he has fun with it at the same time :)

Back