• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

question

is it true all gray rabbits r often called blue rabbits? i heard that gray rabbits r very rare and that there called blue rabbits? is that right ? and i have 4 baby bunnies and the dad is it best to keep to female baby rabbit or 2 male rabbits with the male dad? oo n the male is neutered well the dad? thanx

I have claude a blue rex!!!!!
55a641facc2520e429ca9d92f4d81d7c.JPG

I think they are called blue rabbits....but not sure. Toby is Slate Blue, Silver and White. If you blow into there fur you can see the blue.

not all grey rabbit r called blue i have a chins which r grey and one called a opal which is like a blue but has a white belly and i bit of orange, she is found on my website under the name opal (easy name to think of lol as that is what her colour is called)
becky

It is confusing to most but usualy as said if it has a light belly and a small touch of brown on the back of the neck its a blue opal. If it is very pale in colour all over it may be a squirrel. These 2 colours are not found in the rex rabbit though. The rex in the photo would be called a poor blue[ no reflection on a super rabbit] The colour is usualy much darker. val :)

Hi Leanna :wave:

Good to hear from you :D wow, all 4 babies have made it :D well done to you for raising them :wink: :D you have done a brilliant job :wink: :D

The question regarding who to pair with who I think you need some expert advice and I am sure someone will come along soon :D

Just wanted to say 'a very well done to you bunny mommy' :wink: :D :thumb:

taylor v 109 said:
It is confusing to most but usualy as said if it has a light belly and a small touch of brown on the back of the neck its a blue opal. If it is very pale in colour all over it may be a squirrel. These 2 colours are not found in the rex rabbit though. The rex in the photo would be called a poor blue[ no reflection on a super rabbit] The colour is usualy much darker. val :)
Are you talking about claude???? a poor blue?

Gem said:
I think Claude's a really good example of a Blue Rex
Thank you gem!
Im glad to say so does his breeder, claude was pick of litter she wanted me to show him but i only wanted a pet,she always says she wishes she would of kept him!
Hes my special blue boy and he is gorgous!

taylor v 109 said:
u cant get opal,s in rexes just quite rare to find, i have a opal mini rex i do also have a squirral too (although it took a while to find out as some said no but others have said yes) but the squirral colour isnt standerised in the rexes. u can get self blue like claude, blue otters, and blue foxes
becky

Aww they are soo gorgeous Becky - what kind of colour is my Violet? Is she a normal blue?

Violetboyf.jpg

(old pic as my new ones are at home).

Caz

yep caz she is a self blue, which mean a normal blue(like claude but in the mini rex the bluse seem to be darker) so blue all over and if u blow in the the fur the blue colour reaches the skin where as a opal, has a slate under colour then a band or orange the the blue top the slate and orange sould be 50/50, chin has intermediate colour to be a pearl white with a blue slate under for show this should be one-third and a max of one-half to be pearl and toped with black. Eye circle, inside ears and under jowl pearl grey. Belly and underside to tail to be white. the squirral should be the same as the chin but it has a pale blue top instead of black.

becky
here is a choc otter a blue otter should have the same marking as him but instead of the choc colour has a blue colour like caz's violet
( as u have noticed now i can put up pics on the forum im getting carried away lol :lol: :lol: )

flapjack.jpg

missoxoqtee said:
i have 4 baby bunnies and the dad is it best to keep to female baby rabbit or 2 male rabbits with the male dad? oo n the male is neutered well the dad? thanx

Me being no expert and as much as I have really enjoyed seeing everyones blues :wink: :D which I have to say, I could ogle them all day :love: is there anyone who could answer Leanna's second question :?: who should she keep with the dad :?: his 2 sons or his 2 daughters :?: I have a sneaky feeling that the females would be best with dad as I have seen this combination but I am sure Leanna would appreciate some expert advice :wink:

As i said my comment on your blue was no reflection on your rabbit i was just attempting at a grade of colour in the lops the blue should be a lot darker. As for the squirrel and opal there not a recognised colour, i would be interrested in a look at the blue opal how did u get it , what were the parents colour? val

taylor v 109 said:
As i said my comment on your blue was no reflection on your rabbit i was just attempting at a grade of colour in the lops the blue should be a lot darker. As for the squirrel and opal there not a recognised colour, i would be interrested in a look at the blue opal how did u get it , what were the parents colour? val
do u mean my rabbits val???

Back