• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i be worried?

hi everyone,i'm hoping you can help

i'm a little concerned about my flower's behaviour!!she normally eats like a horse but over the last two days or so she just doesn't seem as interested in her food.i feed her a rabbit muesli type affair and she has always liked some bits of it better than others but at the moment she just doesn't seem to be eating the nugget parts (her normal least fave!!)

should i be concerned or am i over-reacting??

i panic about her you see!!she was in such a mess when i got her that i worry with even the slightest change in her!!

Was she on this mix when you got her? current wisdom is that pellets are better than the mixes to prevent the selective feeding that you describe. Molly is on the mix and is very selective so I'm gradually weaning her onto Science Selective pellets. Does Flower eat hay? I'd be concerned if she's not chowing down on that.

thanks for the reply

flower eats a lot of hay!!!lots and lots!!she has always been on the mix and quite fussy with it but im concerned about switching her down to just pellets (although the thought had crossed my mind when i got her.)

my concern is basically that she'll eat less seeing as the pellets are the bits that she doesn't like at the moment!!i know that sounds daft but i'm quite dense!! :oops:

how are you getting on with the switch?

The Science Selective pellets are not like the ones in the mix - Molly and the others love them - they must be the bunny equivalent of chocolate 'cos I really have to monitor their intake. I'm now at the mainly SS pellets stage with her and they're the first to go, followed by her fave bits of the mix with the crud getting left behind. So once she's finished this mix, it will be pellets only. And she eats ginormous amounts of hay.

The pellets in mix are different to the pellet foods. Alot of buns quite like the taste of SS :D

When I was changing Violet from a mix to Excell (another complete pellet) she picked out the excell pieces and ate it first every time until the swap was complete. I think it must taste better or they put a pro-feed ingredient in it as my lot seem addicted!

Caz

Changing on to a complete is nothing to worry about you do not have to take a long time over it , the problems accure when u are changing a mix for a mix, or from complete to a mix. The complete food is much blander and will not upset the tummy. Dont be put of by them not liking it to start with, as long as they continue to eat hay. val

thank you everyone for your advice,i am now going to change mrs fussy over to a pellet only food!!! :lol:

which have you guys found have worked well for you?obviously i know that each rabbit will like different things but i was looking to see if there was a general favourite and if it would be easy to get hold of?

at the moment she is fed on a mix i buy from pets at home which is the only pet shop near enough for me to get all the food etc and still get home on public transport :x

She's an adult? Then either Burgess Excell Lite, Supreme Science or Allen & Page Natural Rabbit Pellets. Of Burgess/Supreme my preference is for Supreme but I haven't tried the Allen & Page. You should be able to get your local petshop to order them in.

Tam

In the taste test of Excel, Science Selective or Allen & Page , the SS wins hands down with my 3. I think it must be the bunny rquivalent of chocolate as they go mad for it and its easier to get hold of than A & P. Also Brody had sloppy poos on Excel.

Back