• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My damn rabbit :(

jewels26301

Young Bun
We have a bunny shed for my 2 buns....

They have heaps to do and play with yet i noticed they (mainly her) have been eating the shed :?

Only a little marks so a never worried, well today theres a hole, she's biten right through the shed, its only tiny but a holes a hole, and she's bound to make it bigger..

How would i block the hole? to stop them getting out and lil rodents getting in?

Can't buy a new shed every 6mths

Juile

most rabbit chew there hutches, there teeth grow at an alarming rate, so they do this to keep them down, my suggestion would be to supply tree branches and chewing blocks to discourage chewing the shed...

jewels26301 said:
We have a bunny shed for my 2 buns....

They have heaps to do and play with yet i noticed they (mainly her) have been eating the shed :?
Juile

:lol: :lol: There's no accounting for taste is there :lol:

Soz not much help with the Carpentry blocking but I bet Adele knows a man who might know - calling David, Calling David :?: :?:

Hiya Julie yes this is a problem, naughty wabbits :no: :lol:

What we do these days is board inside the entire shed up to about three feet of height and then paint it with a rabbit safe paint!.
This means the bunnies cannot get to the wood to chew it, and you can keep your shed interior looking spic and span :D
We use metal carpet strips as runners along the batons of wood the bunnies can get to..bunnies may be able to chew through wood, but they have not managed to get through the metal as yet :twisted: :roll: :lol:

Fill the hole with some exterior mastik and pop a blaock of wood both inside and outside the shed over the hole..the bunnies will chew the baton instead..then replace it as necessary..make sure it is untreated wood though!.
We often place chew blocks inside hutches on prominant edges, so bunnies chew to their hearts content, but then we just replace he small blocks and not entire hutches or worse still sheds!! :roll: :lol:

Pop hay in tissue boxes and dot around the shed interior, this should distract bunnies from chewing, or hang hay in plant pots form shed roof, in front of hole area....hopefully bunnies will prefer this to wood, but then again :roll: :!: :lol:

jewels26301 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Its sods law isn't it - or should I say Rabbits law :lol:

Darcy has a cardboard house, cardboard castle, heaven knows how many toys but still he loves to chew my wicker chair, my coffee table, my throws and clothes and shoes!!! grrrrr :D xxxxx

Sorry I couldn't be helpful!! xx

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

perhaps they are practicing their carpentry skills :wink: :lol: or modifying their living quarters :lol: :lol:

Hope you manage to sort is out :D

Thank you for the replies

They have fiddle sticks in there, a wooden bridge, toys, cardboard box everything....

The hole is on one of the slates that runs across, i've blocked it for now but must sort it..

Thanks again....

I reckon you might need some exterior grade plywood over that hole ! I built my bunny hutch from pine and plywood and through experimentation by the bun I can definitely tell you that one leg has been chewed halfway through (the pine) and that the edge around the hole that leads into the run has hardly been touched (the plywood). It's flat and smooth and hardwood, so they can't get their teeth into it even if they get an edge. If I were you I would nail it to the bottom of all 4 walls inside that shed :D :D :D

PS - B&Q sell it relatively cheaply, and if you get one of their bigger stores they will even cut it to the size you need.

Back