• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Older bun spaying?

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
I have my two new buns arriving on Saturday Zippy and Scooby, they are both around four years old.

I have booked them in for neutering on Tuesday next week, but I am slightly worried about them having the op as they are older ladies. Will they need any extra care then a younger bun would need? I have cared for bunnies after neutering before, but as they were younger buns I don't know if they bounce back quicker and I have been worrying about them going under too. I have booked Tuesday and Wednesday off work to keep my eye on them. What precautions should I be taking with them?

I can't really offer any advice on that as don't know with the older buns. I just wanted to say good on you for taking in more bunnies. Wish I could do the same!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:D Cheers, I enjoy spending time with bunnies so much and I've got the room, so it was nice to help a desperate case.

Honey was spayed when she was 3 and had no problems at all, I kept her in the house overnight on newspaper and a towel for comfort and she went back into her hutch with her buddy the next day. The vet recommended that I kept her indoors overnight, plus I wanted to ensure that she had pooped since her op.

Excellent stuff, all mine are in doors anyway so hopefully I wont have any problems.
:)

hi theresa

send some pics when you get them for us, i am sure they will be fine, there not really that old....

good luck with them hon!!

eve x

Make sure you get plenty of details on what their favourite foods are so you know what to tempt them with to get them eating afterwards :)

Rescues often get older bunnies spayed, four isn't really that old for a rabbit more middle aged ;)

Tam

bunnylove said:
hi theresa

send some pics when you get them for us, i am sure they will be fine, there not really that old....

good luck with them hon!!

eve x

I will do I am so excited.

Tamsin said:
Make sure you get plenty of details on what their favourite foods are so you know what to tempt them with to get them eating afterwards :)

Rescues often get older bunnies spayed, four isn't really that old for a rabbit more middle aged ;)

Tam

Debbie is bringing them to my house so i will get the chance to find out what they like :) .

I spoke to her this morning and she seems very nice. I have put some rear guard on order too from the vet as one of them gets sticky bum, I don't know that much about it, but heard flystrike can be fatal so I am not taking any chances. Although Debbie has said she only gets it from dry food, so think I need to play around with their fodder a bit.

bet you are i always get really excited when one is coming, i got boeing on saturday and waiting on bertie.....

if you need any thing give me a shout, hope they settle in well, pending on how far they are coming from they can take a little while to settle in, get a bottle of infacol ready just in case!!!!!

Will do thanks Eve,

I am going to set them up in one of the spare bedrooms for a bit and close the door on them, my other buns can be a bit yampy and they are going to have a couple of stressfull day, being as they have moved house and having their op.

Violet was done at age 4 by the rescue centre and she was fine!

Just have some of their fave food ready - I leave some at the vets so it is there when they wake up!

Caz

Cheers Caz,

My Vets do insist on me bringing their food in with them, I haven't found out what they eat yet though :?

Ahh I am quite stupid, I didn't realise you could get bun painkillers, never needed them before.

Hiya

How exciting getting new buns!! I haven't had my older doe spayed but she has had 2 ops in the past year (one quite major - mammary gland removal) and she was nearly 5 when she had that done last May. I kept her indoors, nice and warm, had fave food and veggies + lots of hay (not on floor tho as u don't want anything sharp in wound!) and nice Vetbed to sleep on :D

She had her second op within 6 months last October (had an abcess on foot). She was 5 and a bit then, I was worried about her having 2 ops in such a short space of time cos of her age but again she came through well :)

I do hope ur old girls get on OK, I'm sure they will if they are fit and healthy :) Food and warmth is most important (as with us hey!!? :lol: )

Nicola

I had a 4 year old speyed a few months ago and she was fine. 4 isn't old, its just getting going:) It did her the world of good, I had held off because I was worried about her health, but I think alot of her problems were down to not having been speyed. She had dreadful phantom pregnancies with engorged mammary glands, and would get stiff and hop in an odd way, as well as frantic nest building and bad temper. The vet wouldn't accept that it was just hormones, he kept muttering about an infected digestive system and prescribing baytril, he said rabbits don't get extreme phantom pregnancies like dogs, but now she is a new rabbit, her coat is gorgeous, she does toe flicks all the time, has a new love in her life; still hates people though :roll: (You can't have everything)

what a positive response. I must admit I would push to do them even more at this age. Especially as we have had a few over the years with tummors.

Back