• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can bunnies get hiccups????

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i was just playing with kymber and when he had enough, he went to lay under the radiator (warm) and for about 30/1 minute his chest/belly began to pump like he was having hiccups, then starts exploring again.

weird ha ?

Do you mean hiccups - I thought an earcup was one of those trumpet things that deaf people used years ago :wink:

My dog gets hiccups so I guess that all animals are able to - as long as he is fine now I wouldn't worry.

lol Pam

sorry i cant spell, long time since i have been at school :oops: :oops:

rectified now and just realised the time, brain stopped working about a hour ago :shock: :shock:

That’s an interesting thought and i have no idea :) I don't think they do but I am not 100% sure. All the buns I have ever owned have never experienced hiccups from what I have seen. I know Toby’s cheeks flutter when his lays down sometimes - if anyone knows what that’s means let me know :)

Hutch looks like he has hiccups sometimes,
but it could be just hair balls (!?!?!?)

I had a bunny once with a nervous yawn.
It was quite comical. I miss Gavin :(

Darcy did something like hiccuping once. We were lying on the floor and he suddenly started doing it - I worried at first it was fur balls or something but luckily it wasnt. He didn't produce anything :!: :D and they stopped as quickly as they started. :D

I have an Angora who hiccups very loudly after drinking water too fast :? ....I pick him up and gently pat his back like winding a baby..it works every time, and Milton seems to be happier afterwards.
:D

Dudley did this the other day and I panicked :shock:

He stopped after a couple of minutes though. He does like scaring his mummy :roll:

All breathing things can hiccup, its just an involutary spasm of the diaphram.

It is very funny when they do it though - my dogs always doing it and when my horses do it it sounds like thunder! :lol:

ollie said:
It is very funny when they do it though - my dogs always doing it and when my horses do it it sounds like thunder! :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Flopsy bunny does this sometimes too. She doesn't make a hicuppy noise just jolts slightly for a while. I panicked the first time she did it. She mostly does it after food as she's the fastest eater in town!

Back