• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why no alpha alpha for adult buns?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i have jusy read on here that you cannot give alpha alpha to adult buns, i have heard of that, why? is that....

i give my buns alfalfa cubes which are hard and they love them

Isn't it too high in calcuim or something like that? :oops: I don't know where I read it so unsure of its correctness but can it cause kidney stones??

Clare :?:

on the pack of the cubes it say

crude protien 15% min
crude fat 1% min
crude fibre 30% max
moisture 14% max

it doesnt say any thing about calcuim

should i give these or not?

thanks

so thats a no then, how about as a treat? once a week, kymber loves them and as stopped chewing the house up as a result (well nearly) :lol: :lol:

and they are still ok for the babies yes?

A an occation treat its fine, as long as the bun hasn't got any problems with calcium. Just not as part of the staple diet.

Tam

Mine get them as a treat I thought that warning was mainly because in America many bunny owners were feeding alfalfa hay exclusively as the main hay source and the bunnies were getting obese and too much calcium etc.

Caz

Tamsin said:
A an occation treat its fine, as long as the bun hasn't got any problems with calcium. Just not as part of the staple diet.

Tam

how would i know if they had a problem with calcium?

bunnylove said:
Tamsin said:

Tam

how would i know if they had a problem with calcium?

Claude had a calcium prob his wee went very chalky and was straining when weeing,the vet thought he might have bladder crystals but i just changed his diet,and touch wood no probs since

Back