• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Newbie needs HELP!!

Barney

Young Bun
Hey Everyone, :wave:

Got home from work last night and my new little bunny has been scratching his ears and he now has a patch on each ear that looks like dry skin and a bit of a blad patch :shock: . Is this normal and if not is there anything I can do??

He is only 11 wks old and I have only had him a week, he is an indoor rabbit so hasn't come into contact with anything.

Thanks in advance!

as far as i know stress from being moved (to his new home) can cause stress mites, i would take him to the vet and get it checked out, and you can pass the expense on to the pet shop if thats where you got him because is only been a week.

bunnylove said:
as far as i know stress from being moved (to his new home) can cause stress mites, i would take him to the vet and get it checked out, and you can pass the expense on to the pet shop if thats where you got him because is only been a week.

Yeah I got him from a quite a good garden centre near where I live I did read about the mites but wasn't sure if he would needed to have come into contact with something.

Thanks again

Just got him an appointment in the vets so will hopefully get the problem sorted soon.

sorry I am probably being really dim - what are stress mites :oops:

Are they mites that only appear if you are stressed? Where do they go at other times?

Or does being stressed make a bun more susceptable to ordinary mites?

lol Pam

Stress mites aren't a type of mite rather the theory goes that most bunnies have a small population of mites that don't cause a problem but when they are stressed/under the weather the population explodes meaning treatment is needed. Some bunnies seem particular prone to this.

Tam

to be honest i dont know, i think they are just more subeptiable but dont quote me, all i know if that the can get mite when stressed and is treated with ivomec which is only a cople of quid for a three weeks course.

mine has mite when i got him he was dumped outside a pet shop with three 3 week old babies and wheni ook him to the vets they said i could be stress mites being dumped in a cardboard box outside a shop all night or bad quailty hay or stray that he was kept in.

its gone now though thank

Usually takes 2-3 injections of Ivermectin (sp?) 7-10 days apart. This costs me £11/injection but it is the only way as although medicated shampoos and oil soaks relieve the itching they don't seem to kill the mites!

Caz

P.S. Zeus is prone to them under stress :roll:

We took Barney to the vets and he had to have the injection, seems to have started to clear up already and its only been a day thankfully, He still seems a bit distressed by the fact that he had a needle I think??

He is booked in for next weekend for his second injection and the vet said hopefully that should be it. The price wasn't too bad at all only £3.95 for the injection at our vets.

Also the vet said it he would have caught it from the place we bought him! Which we aren't that happy about. But the main thing now he isn't there anymore.

Thanks again for all your help! :)

Barney said:
We took Barney to the vets and he had to have the injection, seems to have started to clear up already and its only been a day thankfully, He still seems a bit distressed by the fact that he had a needle I think??

He is booked in for next weekend for his second injection and the vet said hopefully that should be it. The price wasn't too bad at all only £3.95 for the injection at our vets.

Also the vet said it he would have caught it from the place we bought him! Which we aren't that happy about. But the main thing now he isn't there anymore.

yes as i said thet can get it from bad quality hay or straw, i guess it was ivomec they gave thim then, it only costs me £3.85 per jab and have a course of about 4 (normally clear it up) once a week.

bunnylove said:
yes as i said thet can get it from bad quality hay or straw, i guess it was ivomec they gave thim then, it only costs me £3.85 per jab and have a course of about 4 (normally clear it up) once a week.

Buns can actually get it from any type of hay or straw, good or bad quality. The number of injections the buns need depends on the severity of the mite problem and the reaction of the mites to the injection, some buns may only need 1 injection, others may need a course of more.

It is thought that all buns carry this mite, and when the host animal is under stress of some sort (could be illness, pain, trauma, change of environment etc.), the mites take advantage of the situation and multiply. All bedding should be disposed of as the mite can live whilst off the host for up to 21 days. All areas the bun has contact with should be disinfected thoroughly. Humans can also be affected and can catch it from the host, usually resulting in small 'pimple like' itchy bumps on hands and or arms.

I thought I'd add this as not all the readers here have had experience of buns with mite infestation, and not all reasons and remedies are the same :D

Barney said:

Did he say what it was Barney had in the end? Sounded a little like ringworm to me...

Back