• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help advise needed please...

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
my baby buns are 13 weeks old and do not eat the caephs. i have had there teeth checked and the vets said there fine.

i feed them on ss and have been slowly weening them off of excel standard. they eat bundles of have. i dont feed them veg but the vet suggested i start but because of there age im not so sure.

why do you think they dont and what do you think i should do now?

please help thanks

Maybe they are eating some but producing too many - it sounds as though you are doing the right things in trying to get them onto SS, and, of course, lots of hay. I would be tempted to collect any that you find and leave them in the food bowl.
I don't really know what else to suggest - maybe someone else who has experienced this will be along to help soon.

by the time i have found them they are squeashed to the bootm to the cage? even during the day they are producing them, i know because they are on concrete runs, so they dont eat the damp grass, and i find them in there runs,

should i stll be ab libing there pellets there 13 wks and not fully grown?

or feeding veg?

You can start introducing veg at about 12 weeks, so now's a good time to start, don't worry.

I know that not all younger rabbits know exactly what to do with their caecal poos, so maybe they're not quite catching all of it. But if you think they're not catching any of them, you're probably right, as you can see them all day long...

Hmmm...not much advise from me on that bit, just wanted to say that you can start introducing veg now...

I really don't know - I have only ever had one baby bun she was fed the same as my adult (didn't know any different then). Is there any way you could separate them for a while to see which one or all of them are doing this - maybe one is really greedy and bossy and is eating far more of the pellets than the others and is therefore producing more caecal pellets.
Are they definietly caecal pellets? Could they be that one bun is a bit loose, especially if you are changing their food at the moment.

Towsbuns said:
I really don't know - I have only ever had one baby bun she was fed the same as my adult (didn't know any different then). Is there any way you could separate them for a while to see which one or all of them are doing this - maybe one is really greedy and bossy and is eating far more of the pellets than the others and is therefore producing more caecal pellets.
Are they definietly caecal pellets? Could they be that one bun is a bit loose, especially if you are changing their food at the moment.

nope it is def. caecal as it looks like grapes but do watch them during the day and they all tunk in to the pellets, and dont really want to split them as i want bond them back when they are all done and there six, not that matters i have enoght hutches but would rather kep them togther for as long as i can.

Maaike_Butter said:
You can start introducing veg at about 12 weeks, so now's a good time to start, don't worry.

I know that not all younger rabbits know exactly what to do with their caecal poos, so maybe they're not quite catching all of it. But if you think they're not catching any of them, you're probably right, as you can see them all day long...

Hmmm...not much advise from me on that bit, just wanted to say that you can start introducing veg now...
#

i was told when i first started getting buns that you cant give veg until they are 5 months old?

bunnylove said:
Maaike_Butter said:

#

i was told when i first started getting buns that you cant give veg until they are 5 months old?
Miffy was on veg when i collected her at 7 weeks
claude i never introuduced to veg untill he was 6 months on advice from his breeder

My buns had veg from 12 weeks but only a little of one veg at a time to start with :)

I think everyone does it differently, Eve, but most of what I've heard is 12 weeks, and that's what my lecture notes say as well. 5 months is probably a bit excessive. It's up to your own judgement quite a lot, if you're not comfortable and think the bun's not ready, don't do it...in the end, you know the bunny better than anyone else does, you're mum!! lol

all six babies have been very interested since they were about three weeks old, i had to hand feed all brackens veg so they could not get to it.

on the odd occassion they would grab it from her mouth, but they did get a sharp telling off from her. :lol: :lol:

i think i may start them then

but what about the ceapha then, how much dried ss should i ab lib? :lol:
would probiotic sort it out, i cant see why they would need that though, as they have never been moved so that stress is not there, and the only food change was there dried food and it was very gradual.
what should i do?

bunnylove said:
i think i may start them then

but what about the ceapha then, how much dried ss should i ab lib? :lol:
would probiotic sort it out, i cant see why they would need that though, as they have never been moved so that stress is not there, and the only food change was there dried food and it was very gradual.
what should i do?

How long have they been on SS? I remember you saying that you had swapped them over but I cannot recall how long ago that was. If they haven't been on it long, I think if I was in your situation, and especially with the current concern over the coecal pellets, I would let them get used to that for another couple of weeks and then gradually introduce a little bit of veg for the babies and very gradually increase the amount and the type. SS contains a probiotic so unless they have poorly tums they shouldn't need any extra.

i have been gradually changing over for the last three weeks and have come to the point of only ss as of yesterday.

Brody had this problem before she went to Bunny Boot Camp. She was wormed there and encouraged to eat more hay. It worked. Personally, its bad enough having to eat your poos but if they've got wiggly things in them as well, well any self respecting rabbit would turn their nose up. I have been giving them SS as its easier to get hold of than Allen and Page plus they love it more. However, we now get the odd squashed sloppy poo so I'll have to get them back on the A & P. They don't like it as much as the SS but sorry buns, Mum knows best here.

Im like some others here - didnt know any better about when to give veg but started of with slow amounts and watched the poo for loose bits.... Both the girls were great for eating hay, Otis on the other hand has always been a law unto himself. When I mentioned to my vet that he seemed to leave the edible stuff a lot she said he was probably lazy ! I think she was right....he's just had to get used to getting his bott washed more. Hopefully your baby buns will learn better habits !

They don't need to be on ad lib anymore at 13 weeks. If I was in your shoes, I'd start giving SS twice a day (at 13 weeks, probably about 30g/day per bun), do that, then introduce veg when they're used to that...but that's just me.

Not with such good quality pellets such as SS and Excell. I didn't know it either, but my lecturer mentioned it during a lecture. I didn't agree (my girls were 12 weeks at the time and on ad lib Excell) so I asked him about it (mid lecture, so I was blushing), and he said they should be on rations. I don't know at what age they should be going off ad lib (will email him and ask I thnk) but...that's what he says!

His name is Ian Sayers if anyone can find any papers or anything by him. I think I spelled his name right...

Back