• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit skin graph........

Are you sure he is only 18 weeks old ?

I am not being funny it's just that he would have been 12 weeks when neutered that's a bit young surely !!!

Suzi Wong said:

I am not being funny it's just that he would have been 12 weeks when neutered that's a bit young surely !!!
Yes i thought that my male rabbits didnt have anything to remove at 12 weeks!!!

bluebunny said:
Suzi Wong said:

Yes i thought that my male rabbits didnt have anything to remove at 12 weeks!!!

i meant he was eighteen weeks when he was done, if think, he had dropped anyway, but to be honest as i said i have only has him for 6 weeks but the pet shop said they had him for eight weeks but i very much doubt he was that young when they got him, i dont think they really knew how old he was.

Hi

sorry but I am a wee bit confused about this (as with so many things in life :? :oops: )

How old is your bunny? (it is just you said at the start he was 18 weeks old)?
How long have you had this wee bun for?
When was he spayed?
Did you get him spayed or was it the place you got him from?
Is the piece you are talking about a matt or a dew lap?
Is it a build up of fur or is it a lump?
Have you tried to remove it at all?
Also I wondered what a chin graft was (youi said you meant to put that instead of skin graft)?

I just wanted to get his cleared up as it is difficult to know what to advise you to do without knowing everything? Sorry if I am appearing a bit dense here :wink:

I know you are getting Lotties bun tomorrow and are taking Bertie too - how many bunnies wil you have in total - can we see piccies :D :D (I love seeing everyones bunnies) Unfortunately mine have to remain anonymous because I can't get them onto the pc - so I just have to admire everyone else's.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom (not literally) of your bunnies problems soon and be able to help :D

Thanks

lol Pam

kimbun's mum said:
Hi

sorry but I am a wee bit confused about this (as with so many things in life :? :oops: )

How old is your bunny? (it is just you said at the start he was 18 weeks old)?
How long have you had this wee bun for?
When was he spayed?
Did you get him spayed or was it the place you got him from?
Is the piece you are talking about a matt or a dew lap?
Is it a build up of fur or is it a lump?
Have you tried to remove it at all?
Also I wondered what a chin graft was (youi said you meant to put that instead of skin graft)?

I just wanted to get his cleared up as it is difficult to know what to advise you to do without knowing everything? Sorry if I am appearing a bit dense here :wink:

I know you are getting Lotties bun tomorrow and are taking Bertie too - how many bunnies wil you have in total - can we see piccies :D :D (I love seeing everyones bunnies) Unfortunately mine have to remain anonymous because I can't get them onto the pc - so I just have to admire everyone else's.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom (not literally) of your bunnies problems soon and be able to help :D

Thanks

lol Pam
Glad you asked confusing me too!!!!

hi pam

i know its all abit confusing i am still getting over the :shock: myself.

i am not sure how old the buns is i think he is youngish but cant be sure (hes been done) so cant be that young. but when i got him they said no one would buy him cause he was to big that they had had him for approx 8 weeks, but if u dont know how aold he was when he went there, i cant work out anything else. i wold say hes not a year old.

i have had bun since last week in dec, and got him neutered in dec. Couple of days after i got him. he has matts and clumps of matted fur (lumps of matted fur)

the area is around the neck/chin, yes i cut a great lump (of hair) from under there and saw the size and he and got a little scared because i have never done this before and am not sure where the skin is and really dont want to do him a damage (i would rather pay someone else)

i can only repeat (skin graph) what the vet had said, but have spoken to a couple of friend today and he has to go back for his vhd two weeks so i will ask about the situation again, and get him booked to be groomed.

pictures of my bunns are on the general chat forum under (maaike, romy and tree for a quick glimps)

thanks evex

If you are nervous of cutting him with scissors you could try pulling the matt apart with your fingers. If you work at it a bit at a time you could substantially reduce it. He doesn't appear to have much of a dewlap, certainly not requiring surgery :shock:

When I got Strawberry his tail was a mass of matts. I got them all out by pulling them apart with my fingers. As long as you make the tension pull against the matt and not against his skin you won't hurt him, although he may not be very pleased about it :roll: You may need someone to hold him.

thanks louise i will give it a go, i have managed to do his tail but the chin area is quite bad lots of big knots.

Back