• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How Fluffy should my bunnies feet be??

louby

New Kit
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me on a matter I have with my bunnies feet.

He is a pedigree dwarf lop, mixed with a little cashmere, so slightly more fluffy that an average lop but not a true cashmere.

He is groomed on a regular basis, and is not going through a moult at the moment, but I have noticed he has very fluffy feet - I worry that they get too fluffy, as they are slightly matted - but don't really know how best to groom them.

He doesn't have any trouble walking, and is very happy in himself.. any ideas?

If he's not having any trouble, it's not a huge worry, but if it's matting it's probably a good idea to keep the fuzz slightly shorter sothat it doesn't matt. Be sure to use BLUNT tipped scissors, as rabbits have really thin skin and the smallest jab by pointy-ended scissors can make a nasty slice into the skin! It's best to have someone else holding the bun while you snip away at the fluff, or the other way round, of course!

I'm afraid that grooming feet wasn't something that I had thought of :oops: until it appeared that Pie was walking on platforms.

Being a total novice at feet grooming I got Lynda to help (well actually do it for me) and what she did was to snuggle Pie in and gently tease the grooming comb over his feet.

This was done very gently and it did take quite a while (Pie had raspberry breaks in between) and it was amazing the fuzz that came out of his feet. It is really a case of just gently combing the feetand the excess hair will come away - if you get to a matted bit then coax it free with the comb.

Good luck.

It might be an idea to get somone to help you hold your bunny while you do it for the first time.

lol Pam

Do you mean matted hair right at the bottom of the feet :!:

Rob has some thick / some matted hair on the bottom of his feet, and I used to try and keep this brushed etc, but lately he has been bothered by sore hocks, and the vet has said that this extra thick matted hair actually gives him some extra padding.

thank you all for helping

thank you everyone some very interesting comments that may help me with Fabric.

I have plucked his feet slightly before, but always worry about doing the right thing for him, so scissors and gentle coming seem a perfect idea. And I very much like the comments about "platforms" it certainly does appear a little like that.

I'm lucky as he is a perfectly behaved bunny and I can usually groom/pluck him myself, he lets me know when he needs a break, by wriggling slightly, but soon comes back when he's ready for more. However, I think (especially if scissors are involved) some extra assistance for passing treats and reassurance may be in order on his feet.

Thanks again everyone

L :D

Back