• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help needed

baby04

Warren Scout
Hi,

I have been told that my bunny Peter has an absess on the side of his face I am not happy about the treatment he has recieved or lack of treatment he has had a weeks worth of baytril and I was then told it causes more harm operating so they have left it and he has got nothing now and to go back in a months time. what is the normal treatment? I am sure they should be doing more but need to know that I am right before phoning back up to say what I think.

thanks
Tracey

When my Bunny had an absess they treated a week of Baytril and that didnt work so they oprated, if left untreated they spread and cause all sorts of damage.

I always though you had to be careful on the face in case it spreads to the jaw?

I wouldn't have thought it could just be left. Is there another vet you could see for a second opionion?

If antibiotics didn't clear it up, just leaving it for a month with no treatment isn't going to clear it up either. I'd find another vet. It sounds like your current vet isn't comfortable operating on bunnies.

Thats what I thought.
There is another vet that I can go to I think iI will make an appiontment with them as I'm not happy just leaving it.

thanks

Hi Tracey

How old is your bunny? Where abouts r u? I would def say get a second opinion, that's wot I did when my bunny had an abcess on her foot. I wasn't happy with the way my vet handled things so I went elsewhere!! She then got booked in for her op a few days after I saw the new vet (could have been that day but I was paranoid bout the op!). She came through it well and is now abcess free!! She had a course of Baytril for about 2 weeks after and the abcess was thoroughly cleaned while she was under. Fingers crossed it seems to be staying away!

As others have said abcesses on their face are more dangerous, especially if left untreated, because of the risk of it spreading to the jaw. Hope ur new vet is bunny friendly!! And that Peter gets better soon :) Let us know.

Nicola

It may be worth contacting the RWA to see if there is a recommended rabbit vet in your area, it is really surprising how a vet can differ. I had been taking my buns to my local vets for thei jabs for years and it is only now that I have taken them to a bunny savvy one that I can really see the difference - even in administering their jabs.

Hi,

Peter is 4.5 years old. I live in Swanage in Dorset nr Bournemouth.
He has an appointment for tomorrow at 9.40 so I'll see what they say.

Thanks everyone I had a feeling that it wasn't right. I'll let you know tomorrow

Tracey

Good luck Tracy with your little bunny - I know Abcesses can be really nasty and worrying for bunny mums but I'm glad you've found another Vet for a second opinion.

Fingers Crossed for tomorrow your little bunster.

I'd speak to the original vet and point out your concerns in case he causes another rabbit to suffer through this advice.

Hmm, doesn't sound like your vet's very rabbit savvy! Sure, Baytril's a good idea to try, coz no one wants to operate if they don't have to, but you can't just leave it a month.

I'd continue on the Baytril and find a new vet in the meantime...

Back