• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Speying tomorrow!

Argh, nervous bunny mommy here!

The girls are being speyed tomorrow! Eeek!

I've decided I don't want to assist at the op, although I will probably take on the post-op care. Not comfortable seeing them operated on. To be honest, I'm not comfortable seeing them under GA, but it takes bunnies a long time to wake up from being anaesthetised, so I'm not going to expect the other nurse to spend that much time on them...

Wish them luck! Also, any post-op tips would be very much appreciated! What I mean is things that your buns seemed to appreciate, etc, after they came home to you after being speyed!!!

Thanks everyone for listening to a worried mum's ramblings!

Maaike_Butter said:
I've decided I don't want to assist at the op,

Ewwwwww. That would be icky.

Good luck for tomorrow, you'll probably spend the day miserable, panicked and suffering from terrible guilty pangs, so take plenty of chocolate with you.

We'll be thinking of the girls tomorrow - it's always a nerve wracking time when they go for any op :? Just keep calm if you can in front of them or they will pick up your nervous vibes and that will get them nervous.
Sending loads of healing vibes to the girls and calming ones to you for tomorrow - let us know as soon as you can and don't forget to have loads of yummy herbs for them to eat :D

aaawww Maaike, your girlies will be just fine, wishing them lots of luck and nose rubs for when they come home.
Hope you have some Rescue Remedy in for yourself, sounds like you could do with a swig :wink:
Thinking of you, and keep us posted tomorrow about how thing go :D
love Adele, Harry and all the other rabbits

I was convinced I had some Rescue Remedy left but I can't find the bottle anywhere! Argh!!

Already have the herbs in the fridge, might take them with me incase I decide to work a full day tomorrow. I'm supposed to have the second half of the day off due to the Student Union AGM, but I'm not going, sooooo...we'll see.

Will post as soon as I get home! :D Pity is I have to work tomorrow evening (new part-time job)...not going if I'm worried about the girls, though!!!!!

Hope everything goes well tomorrow Maaike,
Blueberry was quiet for about 24 hrs after, and I kept her in for another 2 days much to her disgust!
I got in her fave veggies and herbs and had a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel as I didn't have a snugglesafe at the time - but she prefered to lay in her litter tray :roll:

Ah I hope all goes well tomorrow :) After Pip had her anaesthetic I just made sure she was nice and warm, eating and pooing nicely and just generally comfy. Kept waking up through night to check on her, but as I had her in my bedroom I could hear every move! :lol:

She was 5 when she had her mammary gland removed (quite big op) and she recovered very quickly and was soon munching away! So I'm sure ur youngsters will sail through :)

Good luck bunsters! (and good luck Maaike, u need it, I made myself ill last October with the worry! :()

Nicola

Good luck Maaike for tomorrow....we shall look forward to hearing how they are doing and I am sure they will be wonderful

I think I share that feeling Maaike!! Hope work understands ... :? My poor bun was constantly watched all evening and all night cos I was so paranoid bout something going wrong! And I kept checking her wound to make sure she wasn't getting at it - poor Pip didn't have a moments peace!! But I felt better for it!

Ooops Im a bit late never mind. Good luck for the girls for today. They will be fine. I don't blame you for not wanting to assist! Plenty of nice soft bedding for them both and lots of their fav veggies and they'll be happy. I always find a hot water bottle is handy to have on standby just incase they need it. Think the heat helps make them feel better, kinda like us girlies with our girlie things :D

Good Luck Binky and Xena!

Angela

Bit late here too - but good luck ! At least you'll be able to see them so quickly which is easier than waiting for a phone call. I never had any hassles post op with anyone, and Otis despite being the laziest Bun ever didnt even look at his stitches. One of the girls had subcutaneous stiches when she was spayed - the best thing ever but it doesn't seem to be done routinely unfortunately.

All the best x

Good luck for tomorrow! I remember when Fonzie was spayed I was such a wreck!! But I made sure I carpeted her cage out and made it all comfy for her for when she got back... she still wasn't my friend, though! :lol: I actually booked 8 days off work so I could look after her!! :shock: :lol:

Good luck! Let us know how they get on!

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Hiya Gal!

Awwwww good luck to your two lovely bunsters - don't get wearing the Vet Practice floor out girl :roll:

I'm sure they will both be fine - as per the many good replies here - when I had buffs spayed - she justed loved loads of TLC and she was very quiet for a day or so. Might be good to confine them to a small space so they don't run around too much and disturb stiches. I'm sure you know most of this already but good to keep a close check morning and evening on the wound as Buffs (little monkey) did manage to pull out her stitches within 48 hours but luckily the wound had already knitted together and wasn't angry or anything so she didn't need restitching :wink:

Sending Snuggles to the girlies.

When Darcy was getting neutured I felt so guilty and nervous. I went out and bought "How much do i love you" and "bunny my honey" and when I brought him home I read them to him while stroking him. I think he forgave me for the neuturing but not the reading him silly books.... :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back