• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch or shed??

Okay it's dilemma time!

I am going to be moving the bunnies outside in the better weather and have a dilemma about what is best.

I need somewhere for Pie, MAsh and Aggie - the boys sleep together and Aggie cuddles in too (if she is in the mood) but likes her own bed too :roll:

I have a choice of a shed that I could put all their bits and bobs in and that would allow their beds, climbing facilities (for Pie) etc or I can have a three tier hutch (two levels for the boys and one level for Aggie).

Both set ups would have a large 6-7 foot run attached.

What do you think?

lol PAm

I would go for the shed and either advertise on local notice boards or keep an eye on freeads for a couple of cheap hutches to go inside it for extra warmth.

hutch or a shed

I would most definately go for a shed. You can get 6 x 4 sheds at B & Q for less than £100 to which you can attatch a nice run, you can store all their bits like food and bedding in the roof on a large shed, you can put a couple of large shelves inside for them to get onto and hide under if you don't put a hutch inside. These sheves can be hinged to lift up for easy cleaning. I know a rescue which uses sheds instead of hutches, when I visited the other week she said that the only different thing she would have done now is to have put perspex sheeting over the bottom few feet of the shed to stop them chewing it. You can also make a mesh door to allow them to look out of the shed door, if you make it 2 parts you can climb in without them escaping.

You certainly won't get a decent hutch for that sort of money. At least with a shed if its wet its easier to clean out and to spend some time with your friends without getting wet and cold.

Janice

Animal Rescue and CAre

Well I have two hutches and a shed for my girls so I have everything!

Having experienced both, I would def say shed. It's really lovely to just sit in there with Princess, out of the rain and wind, and she loves jumping over me and having snuggles. It's harder with a hutch as you can't sit in them!! I have a snuggly cat bed for Princess and a covered litter tray with bedding in, so she can choose where to sleep. I also got the shed floor covered with lino, so much easier to clean and doesn't matter if there are any 'accidents'! I much prefer sweeping out the shed than trying to sweep all the corners of the hutches!

With the shed the buns will have more room and you can make some climbing space and put shelves up for buns to jump onto. I'm also trying to convince my Dad to help me put a cat flap in and build a run outside for her, once all his stuff is cleared from behind the shed!!

Nicola

Id say shed too,ive got a brand new 10 X 6 ft shed i bought in sept but never had the heart to move the buns out there,im going to put them in it in the summer,ive built shelfs and hidy holes in there for them

Thanks for all the advice - I have now ordered a shed. I looked at B&Q but their delivery was horrific and I doubt if Funtime Frankie would be up to the job of assembling it :roll:

I saw a wee add in the paper for a place not too far away that makes sheds and when I phoned the guy was really nice (although he did laugh when I said I needed it adapted for bunnies) and, even better, he is quite cheap.

So I am getting a shed with a run, a window which will be mesh but which can be covered over if it rains, a barn door, a little bunny flap door, and a couple of shelves :D . And it is even going to have a name plate too "The Lopsy Bunnies" - since all the buns are lops.

lets hope the buns approve - the big day is next Thursday.

lol Pam

Ah how lovely :) I love the name plate!! I'm sure the buns will def approve, Princess loves her shed and I'm sure she wouldn't want to go back to being in a hutch!!

Nicola

shed or hutch

You won't regret your decision, it's so more versatile and the buns will love it.

kimbun's mum said:
Thanks for all the advice - I have now ordered a shed. I looked at B&Q but their delivery was horrific and I doubt if Funtime Frankie would be up to the job of assembling it :roll:

I saw a wee add in the paper for a place not too far away that makes sheds and when I phoned the guy was really nice (although he did laugh when I said I needed it adapted for bunnies) and, even better, he is quite cheap.

So I am getting a shed with a run, a window which will be mesh but which can be covered over if it rains, a barn door, a little bunny flap door, and a couple of shelves :D . And it is even going to have a name plate too "The Lopsy Bunnies" - since all the buns are lops.

lets hope the buns approve - the big day is next Thursday.

lol Pam

Pam you won't regret it, my two love there's, you can view pics of it if you click on the link under my signature, and I think they are also on Lynda's site too. Look forward to pics soon.

How exciting Pam :D

Bet the bunnies are counting the number of sleeps till their posh palace arrives :wink:

Remember the piccies :)

Back