• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

stray or wild?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
how can you tell the difference, i would be quite afraid that i would not be able to tell the difference and just assume it was wild, as i did about 2 years ago, when i was in wales and they was a bunny with her young kits living under a tree..

other than lops, how would you know?

thanks

Wild bunnies tend to be smaller than domestic bunnies and nearly always agouti - looks light brown in summer, they have white underneath their tail, which when they run flashes a warning to other bunnies causing them to run.

I think the best indicator would be when you approach them, even the tamest wild rabbit will run when you get too close (unless ill with myxi) most strays will recognise humans and be more likely to let you approach.

I think from a distance colour would be the main thing as it isn't advantageous for wild bunnies to stick out from the crowd so different mutated colours tend to be the first picked off by predators. If you see an adult rabbit that isn't normal brown colour it is probably a stray.

rabbits.jpg

281x144_Wild_Rabbit.jpg

Caz

well thanks caz, the bunny with her kits were definitly agouti, i dont recall seeing her have a white tail though, but they did look as though they lived under the tree, people must have thought i was nuts, i watched them for about a hour even just waiting to catch a glimps..its one think see adult wild rabbits but its another seeing her with her young. glorious!!!!!!!!

I had to collect some freight from a storage centre near Heathrow last year (about a month after vans tried to ram-raid it but the police had been tipped off and got them - it was in the news).

Anyway there were loads of rabbit warrens there and I was so intent on watching all the young rabbits and their parents running around I nearly missed the fact my number had come up to collect my freight :oops: !

I also had the chance to do rabbit behaviour for my final year degree project but unfortunatley recent building works had disturbed the warren I was supposed to study so I did voles instead!

Caz

yer they looked excactly like the first picture. hows zeux?, we are all quite worried about him.

eve x

He is going to the vets tonight to start the new antibiotics so this week is going to be critical.

Thanks for your concern :)

Caz

Back