• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

when to stop!!!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi there

when do you stop taking in buns, i currently have 10 and one on the way, but cant stop myself taking in more... my husband says he dont care as long as i look after them, but people kinda look at you strange when you say "oh i have got another on its way!

i look after them to the best of my ability there cages are practically sterile, as most of my adults are very clean bun and the young ones are cleaned every day.

but my problem is knowing when to stop, or if i need to stop other than my kids there my life..... am i sad?

bunnylove xxx

No you're not sad! Its sounds like you're doing a brill job looking after your bunnies.

If you're happy with all the bunnies and there all happy with you why stop.

Keep up the good work :D

Betty

no you are not sad , you are a very caring person . only you will know when to stop , if you have the room , the love in your heart (which you do) and the time then i,d say go for it . you are giving some rabbits the chance of a loving happy home again as for some reason or another they have to be rehomed through circumstances that no one can control . I only have cheeky and although it may seem cruel just having one ,, he is great mates with my dog and they follow each other around the house . another rabbit would not be welcomed and the vet even confirmed that :roll: .
If people are questioning you then my advice is to do what you feel in your heart is right . if you have a gut feeling that you should not take anymore on then follow your instincts , if not then i,d say go for it .

good luck x

You'll know when to stop when your bank balance starts looking sorry for itself!

Rabbit's aren't cheap to keep with there acommadations, food, bedding, vaccinations, neuters etc.

Louise

Difficult one - personally, I have set my limit at 4 and I plan to stick to that. The time they need, let alone the expense of having them all vaccinated and trips to the vets, when necessary. I have been very lucky in that, apart from vaccinations, none of mine had needed regular trips to the vets - Hobo's treatment just before I lost him cost nearly £150 - and, I feel, the more you have the more you increase the risk of high vet bills. Obviously, I don't begrudge a penny of what I spent to try and save Hobo but I have to be realistic and that means limiting my numbers to four.

Same as my kids, I love them dearly but I have limited the number to 2 as both timewise and financially, that, we feel is our limit.

I stop at two because i regard neuturing costs, insurance and the best food, hay and vet treatment i can find as my absolute responsibility as an owner. BUT i cant wait until i qualify and stop being a student cos then my two limit will increase.

emilou said:
I stop at two because i regard neuturing costs, insurance and the best food, hay and vet treatment i can find as my absolute responsibility as an owner. BUT i cant wait until i qualify and stop being a student cos then my two limit will increase.

i must admit i am very lucky there, my husband works and earns great money, so money is not really an issue to me. the only thing i dont do is insurance i save money every month just in case.

Towsbuns said:
Difficult one - personally, I have set my limit at 4 and I plan to stick to that. The time they need, let alone the expense of having them all vaccinated and trips to the vets, when necessary. I have been very lucky in that, apart from vaccinations, none of mine had needed regular trips to the vets - Hobo's treatment just before I lost him cost nearly £150 - and, I feel, the more you have the more you increase the risk of high vet bills. Obviously, I don't begrudge a penny of what I spent to try and save Hobo but I have to be realistic and that means limiting my numbers to four.

Same as my kids, I love them dearly but I have limited the number to 2 as both timewise and financially, that, we feel is our limit.

not really worried about the vets bills as i say every month, just incase, but aggree with you on the kids, i have two and thats enough they are a fiancial drain on anyone, with there playstations zboxes and football traing and dance classes and the rest...... give me another bun any day..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats cool, i dont know what i'd do in ur position. I be tempted never to stop taking in animals. One thing ive always found not for myself but thought of other members of my family is that they limit themselves for situations like when they go on holiday and if they were to get ill and for a situation when they were unable to look after the animals they took in themselves.

emilou said:
Thats cool, i dont know what i'd do in ur position. I be tempted never to stop taking in animals. One thing ive always found not for myself but thought of other members of my family is that they limit themselves for situations like when they go on holiday and if they were to get ill and for a situation when they were unable to look after the animals they took in themselves.

i am relatively young.... :lol: :lol: so that should not be a prob (touching wood as i say this), and we are home pigeons, so the hols should not be a problem anyway,,,,, i have not been on holiday in four years, but was saying i might take the children away in the summer, so my o/h said he would stay behind and look after them 4 me....

There was a lady in the news recently, she didn't know when to stop. People knew she would take in their unwanted rabbits and guinea pigs, she couldn't say no and so she was dumped on. She ended up with 70 and a huge problem on her hands, the environmental health was called in.

You have to know your limits and be practical.

I wish i had more money then I could buy a bigger house with some land and have more bunnies.

At the moment I have to choose between a baby of my own (and i am broody!!) or another bunny :cry: I just don't have the space for both :cry:

Could keep more bunnies in the garden but don't have the heart as it's so cold all the time and my place is surrounded by foxes :shock:

bunnyhuggger said:
There was a lady in the news recently, she didn't know when to stop. People knew she would take in their unwanted rabbits and guinea pigs, she couldn't say no and so she was dumped on. She ended up with 70 and a huge problem on her hands, the environmental health was called in.

You have to know your limits and be practical.

i have told no one only my close friends and family and you lot, so i dont think anyone will be banging on my door...

linnyloo said:
I wish i had more money then I could buy a bigger house with some land and have more bunnies.

At the moment I have to choose between a baby of my own (and i am broody!!) or another bunny :cry: I just don't have the space for both :cry:

Could keep more bunnies in the garden but don't have the heart as it's so cold all the time and my place is surrounded by foxes :shock:

wild bunnys live in warrens under ground and to my knowledge there is no lights or central heating systems down there. :lol: :lol: honestly they do fine out there, mine live in hutches in a shed and they have warmer ears than the one and only house bun i have.

when to stop

At present I have 13 buns, all come to me from unwanted homes or my vets or the R.S.P.C.A I am able to have 18 and have the room for them and until recently did so. My reason for stopping at 18 was space. I have a summerhouse in the garden housing 11 hutches, all purposly built to fit and I have been lucky in that I have paired up all buns that have come to me.Over the past year tho I have had 8 die and have only taken in 5, therefore leaving me with spare hutches, and one buck recently bereaved. I am finding hard to resist the adverts on rabbit rehome at the moment, but the expense of having them all vaccinated and recent vets visits has made me think twice. My buns are all now getting to be 2,3,5 yrs old and problems are sure to arrise. I love them all to peices and would not turn anyone away if anyone came knocking, ??????
Lynne :wink:

You know when to stop when you stop enjoying your rabbits. I currently have around 30 and enjoy every minute looking after them but i did have 50 at one time and then i found the cleaning out, feeding etc was taking so long it became a chore rather than a pleasure plus i didn't have enough time for cuddles. So I cut back and now find 30 is a managable number for me but then i don't work so have plenty of time, everyone will have there own limit.

Yvonne

when to stop

Yvonne I've just read youre post and visited your photos and noticed the Bradford 2004 ones. Were you there this year ? I have been the past 5 years on the saturday as an interested member of the public. Our first bun was a neddie like ones you keep. They are so sweet. unfortunately I didn't know enough about buns back then and sold to us as a she ,turned out to be a he and only lived for a couple of years. 'Candy' was our first bun and will always be missed.He was so sweet. I have had a real variety of ones since then and I love them all. I work part time so have more time to spend with them than my daughter who he was bought for. I would never buy again either I know about the numberss awai ting homes in rescues.
Lynne :roll:

Hi, yes i was there this year as well just haven't got around to updating the pics yet, i took 91 so have to sort out the best ones :? no easy task lol

The nethies were my 1st breed as well and for along time i wouldn't even consider another breed especially a loppy ear one lol, but over time, stewarding at shows there friendly personalities won me over so i added mini lops and more recently german lops to my menagerie.

Still trying to keep numbers to around the 30 mark though so can be difficult sometimes.

Yvonne

I am having a probelm with stopping, two people have asked me to take in their bunnies, I thought I could then re-home them as they are not being cared for very well at the moment. My biggest fear is not being able to let them go and wanting to keep them. I think anyone who asks me to take in a bun I will say yes and it's going to get to the point where I have too many.

Back