• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teethless rabbits

Thanks for that information, thats a great help.

It has also highlighted to people that teeth problems do exist and that they can be easily treated.

Certainly from this rabbit I would agree that rabbits who have had their front teeth removed have a distinct advantage over rabbits with normal teeth for their owners.

Janice

Definitely! No chewed wires and if you happen to have a less than friendly rabbit no hard biting! It's like dogs really .. we had a Yorkie in who had had most of his teeth out. I took him home that night and he was a bit grumpy and tried to nip me but obv all he could do was give me a gummy mouth :lol: bless him, he was a sweetie, can't have been nice hardly having any teeth - and his tongue flopped out of his mouth!!

jrn1310 said:
Kymber can come and sit under my table on a nice sheepskin with Sweet Pea ... I know it isn't a very masculine name but thats what he came in being called :?

I have never had a 'proper' house rabbit before, but I am glad to say the problems everyone seems to be complaining about don't seem to be happening. My skirting is intact, my wires are not touched, he uses his litter tray ... what more can I ask?

well they would be if hes got no teeth :lol: :lol:, i no longer have a door stop thanks to kymber and had to buy two new phones as bracken done both, she doesnt like me using the phone, shes sticking up for daddy and saying i spend to much time on it :lol: :lol:

Sweet Pea is doing fine at the moment. However I have just had a thought, how short are we talking about cutting the hay down to? Is it an inch or are we talking longer?

Many thanks

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care

About an inch is probably ok, depends on the determination of the bun! Buns only use their front teeth to pick up and cut and the back teeth are used to grind. Also their lips are prehensile and help to manouver food items (such as hay) along, their tongues also help to 'fold' and move food items along as well.

Pie has no front teeth and manages fine.

I feed him his food first - as otherwise MAsh would have hoovered it all up. Pie is a slow eater but manages science selective no bother.

He also eats hay (without it being cut up) - he puts in the back of his mouth with his lips and just chomps away.

His veggies are grated or cut into tiny cubes.

Pie is almost 8 and has been without his front teeth for a few years.

lol Pam

no front teeth

one of my buns has no front teeth. She's a doe called Jessie and i saw her at my vets one day not long after they had been removed and she'd been spayed. She looked a mess and I felt so sorry for her.The local R.S.P.C.A had brought her in and she'd had a problem with her teeth so they were removed. She eats very well.I grate or slice carrotts and cabbage, chop up apple and some plant leaves have to be torn up so she can pick them up with her mouth.She seems to eat hay o.k. without me doing anything and loves dried food.She does have runny eyes some of the time which is connected but her partner Jasper licks them for her. I do have to brush her coat on the odd occasion and remove sticky poos from her behind occasionally too.She is no problem tho and her toothless grin is to die for !!!!!!
Lynne :p

jrn1310 said:
I am a fosterer for an animal rescue centre and I have just taken in a house rabbit who has previoulsy had his front teeth removed. Can anyone offer me any advice on looking after him or things I need to be aware of.

Hi there :wave:

We have a toothless rabbit called Ron and he is fab!

DSC00108.jpg

We have had no problems as such. He had all his front teeth removed before he came to us for the same reasons as Sweet Pea I think. He does have one growing back though so we have to keep an eye on it, and if it does cause concern, we may have to get it removed.

I think as long as he's on a good diet and is always chewing he should be fine, and we make sure there's always plenty of hay for Ron to eat as that helps to wear down his back teeth. Also we give him a minimal amount of dried food for brekkie (which doesn't really wear the teeth down), and greens and veg for tea.

We were told by our vet that if we notice he's avoiding chewing there could be a problem with his back teeth, but if you can get the vet to check his back teeth when he has jabs/check ups, that'll be good piece of mind for you :lol:

I saw Sweet Pea weeks ago on the site and was very tempted (but already have three of my own and one foster), as we're in Ealing - he's just gorgeous! Hope he finds a home soon. In the meantime, if you ever need any help pm me :wink:

One of my bunnies is virtually toothless part of the time as she is alwasy having her front teeth ground down - as everyone else has said she'd fine with pellets, and we feed her peas as her veg. Even if we cut veg up she just seems to mash it up and not manage to eat it. Peas are like little sweets to her.

I am currently having an awful time trying to get her to eat any hay (she had dental work last week (spurs removed, front teeth ground back to the gum line and one back molar removed at it was rotten). I only feed them pure timothy grass, I've tried hand feeding her the juicy bits - not luck. Have cut it up in various sizes - she ignores it. I've also tried spraying it with water - she prefers wet grass so I thought it might held - no good.

Any ideas?

For those of you saying how lucky you are that your buns teeth are ok - yes you are, having a bunny with teeth problems is a constant worry. :cry:

Bev

I should think she is in pain.
Why have they taken her teeth down to the gum line?
Poor little thing. I'd get on the phone tot he vets and get some rescue rabbit powders and some metacam.

I would agree analgesia and some rabbit rescue either to syringe feed her with or let her lick out of a bowl would be my first line of thought.

It may be worth considering having her front teeth totaly removed so she doesn't need regular teeth grinding. At least then they learn to adapt to being toothless fairly quickly and then dont have to go through the stress and pain of having to go to the vets every few weeks to have their teeth attended to.

Have you tried finely cut up herbs such as parsley?

Someone on one fo the other forums was saying that they used baby food but I am not sure which type, although I do guess they mean veg not chicken hotpot! Will see if I can find where it was and pm them.

Janice

She's not in pain - she'll eat suparabbit, crunchy biscuit treats, peas and french beans. She just won't eat hay. She's eating enough to be OK, but the only thing that can help prevent her teeth getting spurs is hay - which she won't eat. Viscious circle.

I agree that we could soon be at the stage where she will be having her front teeth taken out. I don't think we need to do it quite yet - but it will be soon.

I'd do anything for her to have perfect teeth like my other bunny - and he munches though a whole rack of hay per day! :?

Back