• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

~Fussy Rabbit~

Toby

Banned
What can you do with a fussy rabbit? Toby is just so picky with his food. He will dig food out of his bowl when I feed him, and picks out the bits he likes. He has ALWAYS been like this. I feed him Rabbit Mix once a day and when I go to feed him he still has half a bowl full of food left from the previous day– he will NOT eat this his left. He hates pellets so I can’t give him that either. He likes hay, and greens but this can sometimes upset his tummy. Is there food out there that is suitable for an old fussy rabbit? :)

Have you tried every pellet out there? Sometimes you just got to keep trying till you find one he likes. But I'm sure you have tried!

Anyone got any unknown brands they want to suggest?

Wish I could help, a lot of rabbits will eat their pellets if you leave them long enough, but...sometimes they don't!

Im afraid im very ruthless when it comes too food i as ive mentioned clarke a butcher pellits, its what i feed but the prinible is the same. they get nothing else but hay untill they eat the pellits. I have done this too hundreds of rabbits, and none ever starved to teath. lol. The worst rabbit i had was a doe that came in 3wks ago, she flately refused the food and ate little hay. 3wks later shes tucking in to the pellits. She was eating enough hay to keep going. Its amazing how little they can eat without problems. most people panic when they refuse a food , stick with it its just the same as kids would u let them get their dinner from the sweet shop no they would eat what was good for them. The heath benifits are alone good enough to do this and change to pellits. val .

Darcy used to be the same. He has Junior Rabbit Excel now which is all pellets. He eats them all up now. Rabbit mixes are too much choice for fussy bunny. Maybe try leaving the pellets in the bowl until he eats them - within reason obviously!! Darcy gets really fussy with his veggies but I keep giving them to him every day and now he loves them. Gobbles them up!! :) xxxxxxxx

I was actually going to divide every single item of food in the food mix and see what it is he likes. Sad I know, but there is not much he likes. I think I know though, I don’t know what they are called but they look a bit like shrived dates (hard black shell and it looks brownie on the inside – looks a bit like wood.). If there is a site on the net showing various peaces of rabbit mix I could point it out.

If he's not eating the pellets in his mix, he's really missing out on some important nutrients...maybe it's the best idea just to leave a concentrated pellet brand (Excel, SS, Oxbow, etc) for him until he gets so hungry he eats it?

I don’t know what they are called but they look a bit like shrived dates (hard black shell and it looks brownie on the inside – looks a bit like wood.).

They are locust beans.
My hamster always loved those!

Just a thought.. how much feed do u give him?
Maybe if he had less food to fuss over he'd eat more of the other stuff?
I'm afraid like Val.. id leave him with the same food for a while til he eats more of it or change him onto pellets and leave him to eat it. You can get a free sample of science selective from www.russelrabbit.com i think thats the right site.

To be honest, if I had a rabbit as old as Toby, I would just continue as you have until now - you must have done something right to get him to such a grand age. As long as he continues to be fit and healthy, I would just feed him what he likes.

Vera

My bunny Pip is quite fussy too. She only really likes the mix altho sometimes eats the pellets I give her!

He is an old man so trying to change his diet will prob upset him. I'd try and get some samples of foods and see if there is anything he will eat more of. I'd be inclined to let him eat whatever food he wants, so long as he is healthy. A bunny's diet should be 80% hay anyway, does he like his hay?

With Pippa I just let her eat wotever she likes, she is healthy and in good shape so why not!! May not be conventional or what the books or packets say, but hey, bunnies are individuals, what works for one may not work for another!!

Is there a reason u want to feed him something different?

Nicola

I'd forgotten he was an old man. How old is he exactly?

Not really fair on a grandpa to make him give up the food he likes, really...

That's exactly what I thought Maaike!! Long as he is happy and healthy I'd let him eat what he likes - he hasn't got to this age just to go on a funny diet that he won't eat :lol:

They are locust beans.

I think that's what they are -- I don't suppose you can just buy them on there own can you? :lol: probably not.

Toby is 13 (14 this year) - it's more about the fact that I throw a lot of food away. I have just not re new his food before so he gets through all his food, but it doesn’t feel right not feeding him everyday. My mum thinks one of the reasons his lived so long is because his picky with what he eats - its like his a health freak rabbit :lol: It would be nice to just see an empty food bowl for a change :roll:

Awww, let him eat what he wants, then! He deserves it! When I reach the equivalent age in human years, I'm eating nothing but yummy stuff aaaaaalllll day...:D

he hasn't got to this age just to go on a funny diet that he won't eat :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: - Agreed. His spoilt he will literally look at me gone out when I give him something different. Do you think they sell bunny walking sticks? hehe. Not that he needs one yet...:wink:

Awww, let him eat what he wants, then!

Hmmm, might try some new things but keep his normal just in case. :)

hi emma how long have you had toby? hes due a bus pass soon anit he!! :lol: :lol:

hes he very energentic? if not i would not bee suprised the ol man is not eating much as he in not using as much energy as the young ones!!!!

fancy some sig work honey!!!!

My buns are spoilt too! What's the point of having a pet if you can't spoil it!! I think you can just get locust beans on their own but not sure about their nutritional content :lol:

I would try him with a few foods, there may be one that he hasn't tried that he actually likes and you might get an empty bowl!! But obv keep his fave :) He is 13 so he must be eating something right musn't he! (and you are doing something right too) :)

I agree with Val, rabbits won't starve themselves unless there's some serious problem going on. But if he's healthy and happy, leave him on what he likes. Also I find that older buns sometimes can't manage really hard bits of food as their teeth can't cope with it.

I always thought locust beans were bad for buns cos they get stuck in their guts and cause blockage :? Most of the rabbit food makers removed them from the feed.

hi emma how long have you had toby

I have had Toby since birth - i bred him from my own stock, but my mum fell in love with him and she had to keep him. Toby and me kind of grew closer together and became good buds. Hey he was a baby and I was a teenager :lol: I remember first seeing him in the nest :) , I thought he would be black at first.

hes he very energentic?

When I get him out (as his to lazy to come out on his own) he is energetic, jumping and running about. He is very strong as well.... i mean his mastered doors now :) but his not speeding all over the place like younger buns do.

fancy some sig work honey!!!!

No problemmo :)

Back