Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ~Fussy Rabbit~

Banned

Default ~Fussy Rabbit~

What can you do with a fussy rabbit? Toby is just so picky with his food. He will dig food out of his bowl when I feed him, and picks out the bits he likes. He has ALWAYS been like this. I feed him Rabbit Mix once a day and when I go to feed him he still has half a bowl full of food left from the previous dayĖ he will NOT eat this his left. He hates pellets so I canít give him that either. He likes hay, and greens but this can sometimes upset his tummy. Is there food out there that is suitable for an old fussy rabbit?

Mama Doe

Have you tried every pellet out there? Sometimes you just got to keep trying till you find one he likes. But I'm sure you have tried!

Anyone got any unknown brands they want to suggest?

Wish I could help, a lot of rabbits will eat their pellets if you leave them long enough, but...sometimes they don't!

Im afraid im very ruthless when it comes too food i as ive mentioned clarke a butcher pellits, its what i feed but the prinible is the same. they get nothing else but hay untill they eat the pellits. I have done this too hundreds of rabbits, and none ever starved to teath. lol. The worst rabbit i had was a doe that came in 3wks ago, she flately refused the food and ate little hay. 3wks later shes tucking in to the pellits. She was eating enough hay to keep going. Its amazing how little they can eat without problems. most people panic when they refuse a food , stick with it its just the same as kids would u let them get their dinner from the sweet shop no they would eat what was good for them. The heath benifits are alone good enough to do this and change to pellits. val .
    exibitor/rehomer of rabbits Greenwich rabbit rescue
    www.greenwichrabbitrescue.com

http://www.freewebs.com/minisanddwarfs/index.htm

Darcy used to be the same. He has Junior Rabbit Excel now which is all pellets. He eats them all up now. Rabbit mixes are too much choice for fussy bunny. Maybe try leaving the pellets in the bowl until he eats them - within reason obviously!! Darcy gets really fussy with his veggies but I keep giving them to him every day and now he loves them. Gobbles them up!! xxxxxxxx

RIP Sweet Frasier bun xxx

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him dominate the world
    (")_(")

Banned

I was actually going to divide every single item of food in the food mix and see what it is he likes. Sad I know, but there is not much he likes. I think I know though, I donít know what they are called but they look a bit like shrived dates (hard black shell and it looks brownie on the inside Ė looks a bit like wood.). If there is a site on the net showing various peaces of rabbit mix I could point it out.

Mama Doe

If he's not eating the pellets in his mix, he's really missing out on some important nutrients...maybe it's the best idea just to leave a concentrated pellet brand (Excel, SS, Oxbow, etc) for him until he gets so hungry he eats it?

Wise Old Thumper

I donít know what they are called but they look a bit like shrived dates (hard black shell and it looks brownie on the inside Ė looks a bit like wood.).
    They are locust beans.
    My hamster always loved those!
    Chris
    Mum to Dylan the lionhead, and Oscar the cat!
    We will never forget you Simba, Nala, Fifi and Daisy xxxx

Wise Old Thumper

Just a thought.. how much feed do u give him?
    Maybe if he had less food to fuss over he'd eat more of the other stuff?
    I'm afraid like Val.. id leave him with the same food for a while til he eats more of it or change him onto pellets and leave him to eat it. You can get a free sample of science selective from www.russelrabbit.com i think thats the right site.
    Chris
    Mum to Dylan the lionhead, and Oscar the cat!
    We will never forget you Simba, Nala, Fifi and Daisy xxxx

To be honest, if I had a rabbit as old as Toby, I would just continue as you have until now - you must have done something right to get him to such a grand age. As long as he continues to be fit and healthy, I would just feed him what he likes.

Vera
    LURCHERS DESERVE BETTER - AND SO DO BUNNIES!

My bunny Pip is quite fussy too. She only really likes the mix altho sometimes eats the pellets I give her!

He is an old man so trying to change his diet will prob upset him. I'd try and get some samples of foods and see if there is anything he will eat more of. I'd be inclined to let him eat whatever food he wants, so long as he is healthy. A bunny's diet should be 80% hay anyway, does he like his hay?

With Pippa I just let her eat wotever she likes, she is healthy and in good shape so why not!! May not be conventional or what the books or packets say, but hey, bunnies are individuals, what works for one may not work for another!!

Is there a reason u want to feed him something different?

Nicola