• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nesting, bored or just being naughty??

bunnyhop

New Kit
Hello
I have 2 bunnies, a neutered male angora pictured and Moo who is female and is 5 months old. Moo is currently un-spayed (waiting until she is old enough). Recently, she has started to chew and rip up the newspaper and hay bedding which creates an awful mess and as Oscar is a very neat (and hairy) bunny, he likes a tidy hutch and therefore does not go into the ‘bedroom’ area when she has made such mess. It also means that there is damp bedding scattered around the rest of the hutch and the run as they use the bedding area as a toilet.

Not sure if this recent problem will clear up when she is spayed, or as she grows up a bit. They have lots of wooden and wicker toys to chew and toss about and when I place a toilet roll in there, it remains un-touched – just seems to go for the bedding.

Do you think she is Nesting, bored or just being naughty??

Could be any of the three, but 5 months is old enough to be speyed in most cases! As soon as hormonal behaviour starts (which this seems to be), she's ready to be speyed. Talk to your vet about it?

One of my girls, Xena, is doing the exact same thing. As a result, they're BOTH being speyed within the next two weeks.

Maaike_Butter said:
One of my girls, Xena, is doing the exact same thing. As a result, they're BOTH being speyed within the next two weeks.

That's the same mean thing they'd do at school. One kid's naughty and the whole class gets punished. :(

Hahahahahahahahahaha, good point! lol

Nah, don't want to put both of them through the stress of going to the vets twice, as I'd bring the other along as a buddy. (I've learned a lot from this forum!!!!) So they're both going in on the same day...poor wee ones.

This is realtivley normal for a doe she is hormonal and is digging up, thats whate a lot of does do. In the wild its the does that tunnel getting ready for having babys. When she is done she will do it much less. val

Thanks for the info - she has made a real mess tonight. This has only started in the last week. As you say, hoping it becomes less frequent when she is spayed.
:)

Back