• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is canker?

just wondered if anyone could tell me exactly what canker is - I was flicking through my a wee leaflet I picked up months ago and it listed some bunny health problems including canker which it said was an ear ailment.

I just wondered what it was and what the syptoms were.

is it common and how would you treat it?

My bunnies are all fine but I was just curious.

lol PAm

In dogs its a build up of wax and gunk that gets infected.I think thats all it is not sure. rabbits tend to get mites in the ears and it can get very itchy and waxy, this is easily treated with drops.you woll have to look it up thorougly to find out more. val

I also thought it is where an ear mite infection leads to a nasty oily build up inside a rabbits ears. That particular species of mite is often called the canker mite and they are usually associated with neglect cases or where a rabbit is too large/old/ill to clean its ears properly.

Caz

Pigeons get canker and you can see it in their throat. I will ask Ian as he is an expert in all this sort of thing and in the treatment.

Ian has just come in from his "doos"

Canker can show itself in other places and I told him about "bunny ears" and yes it can show there. In the pigeon world canker usually manifests itself when there is something else wrong i.e. if the immune system is down. Canker is treatable by prescription drugs.

Hope this help Pam

Glad your bunnies are fine xx

Canker

This ear ailment is sometimes not noticeable externally. If your pet is shaking its head constantly or scratching at its ears, or if you notice any signs of inflammation, it should be examined for canker. For treatment, begin by wiping out the ears with hydrogen peroxide applied with a cotton tipped swab. Afterwards, dust the ear with an appropriate antibiotic. Avoid using preparations that are formulated for dogs. If you are uncertain about selecting the right medication, consult your vet.

http://www.mismatch.co.uk/rabbithealth.htm

Canker (Ear Mites):
Ear mites infest the ear, which causes a discharge that forms a brown crust. It is extremely irritating and the rabbit will shake its head and continuously try to scratch her ears. Canker lotion is available to buy and can be used over several days. Make sure that the hutch is cleaned and disinfected as they can re-infest.

http://www.keyisland.co.uk/pets/rabbits/health_problems.html

Hope they help you out Pam :D

Maybe forget mine Pam..."doos" will probably be different...thought I could be a bit of help. Good job it was just a general query :wink:

Back