• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pus from foot

lucy24

Mama Doe
Lilly and bluebell had a health check yesterday. They live with my parents as we weren't allowed them in our new house. Also the garden isn't big enough for their setup. I miss them and it was the first time I coukd properly check them as my parents are fab but probably wouldn't notice things I would.

Anyway bluebell is fine. She has a small stye type thing on her bottom eyelid but vet said to see if it goes in the next week.

Lilly however has mites so is being treated for that and when cutting her nails loads of pus came out.
The vet couldn't find a noticeable absess so lilly is on antibiotics and back for a check Tuesday.

Anyone have an idea what it could be or any similar experience? I'm not sure what the outcome will be as if the pus is still there the next step is sedation to look closer. Obviously since they are over 10 years old there is a risk and I know absess are particularly hard to treat in buns.

It could be that the infection is fresh so her system has not had time to form an abscess.
I presume vet gave abx?.

Yes she's on antibiotics. So hoping it will clear it. It's her front paw 😔 poor girly was so well behaved too

Thank you. She's still eating snd pooping which is good at least. I'm also glad it's cooler as she hated the heat!

I checked her foot yesterday and I found where the pus was coming from. There's a round red boil type thing but it looks dry now and is small. I think the antibiotics are working . Back in for a check at the vet tomorrow

Sounds like the abx are working, hope she gets on ok at vets. At least you spotted it early :thumb:

The pus was still there. They had to put a local anesthetic on and cut it open to flush it and put antibiotic cream on. I will have to do this every day for the next week until next appointment. Its thankfully small. About the size of a 5pence . It was thought to be a better option than surgery cos of her age.

Since they live at my mums I'm having g to go over every day. Keep trying to think of a way of having them at mine but I've got nowhere to put them lol

Hopefully it will clear

I am sure your mum enjoys your visits with Lily. Sending vibes the lancing and regular flushing will have her healed soon.

Just a quick update

Lillys foot has completely healed. No more pus. Also her skin has cleared from the mites. Really pleased!

Back