• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The poo thread

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
So rabbit poop... I was thinking can rabbit poop have a use, maybe as a slow release fertilizer for plants?

The poo pellets themselves don't smell and are dry so I could put some in the plant pots and planters to use as a slow release fertilizer but then I was thinking... is there much nutrition in rabbit poop that plants could use? apparently so. The only thing that can really smell is rabbit urine and that could burn the plants roots if its mixed with the rabbit poop. So any urine soaked rabbit poop can be composted but the dry poo pellets could be used right away.

Rabbit dung is dry, odorless, and in pellet form, making it suitable for direct use in the garden. Since rabbit dung breaks down quickly, there is usually little threat of burning the roots of plants. Rabbit manure fertilizer is rich in nitrogen and phosphorus, nutrients that plants need for healthy growth

Rabbit manure has four times more nutrients than cow or horse manure and is twice as rich as chicken manure. Cow, horse and chicken manure are considered “hot” and need to be composted (well-rotted) to use as fertilizers. One of the best things about rabbit manure is it doesn't need to be composted.

I agree its a brilliant fertiliser, I've been using it for a few years now & collect some for my mums garden too

I use bunny poop in my veggies soil!

Also.. If you have a long garden where you can put something down the bottom and not smell it.. Definitely put loads in a bucket and add water (definitely cover it!!) anyway after a few days you make a bunny poop tea which I use at like a weak plant feed... But only do this if you have outside space well away from windows etc [emoji38][emoji38] I probably won't do it now I've moved coz not a big enough garden to keep it well away [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I use bunny poop in my veggies soil!

Also.. If you have a long garden where you can put something down the bottom and not smell it.. Definitely put loads in a bucket and add water (definitely cover it!!) anyway after a few days you make a bunny poop tea which I use at like a weak plant feed... But only do this if you have outside space well away from windows etc [emoji38][emoji38] I probably won't do it now I've moved coz not a big enough garden to keep it well away [emoji38][emoji38]

does it smell that bad?

I tried it on my borders but it didnt break down and just sat there for aaaaages!

Yeaaaaa I normally leave it a week and it uhh smells! Also I make one from weeds and that's way worse smell wise [emoji38]

Just shows how 'nose-blind' I must have been as I used to soak some and didn't find it offensive.:lol: It was in a bucket under my kitchen window. I also used them 'neat' in my compost, along with all the hay and wee-soaked newspaper from the litter trays, and sometimes straight on to the soil.

I've nearly layered the house plant pots. I've done the ones in the living room and two plants in the kitchen. I can already see some improvements in the plants. The rabbit pellets don't smell at all, you wouldn't even know they were in there.

My house plants have been responding well to the bunny droppings, there is no smell and I'm getting new fonds on my ZZ plants.

You know, I put bunny poo in a house plant once to see if it did anything, but all it did was attract a whole bunch of little flies! :shock::lol: I'm glad your house plants are responding better to it!

Mind you if you break the poo open its just lots of tiny bits of hay so I suppose there isn't really much to it. When its fresh and you smell it, it smells a bit like a really cheap meat pie.

Back