• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A question please re GI Stasis

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Is it feasible that a Rabbit who has eaten Pellets for breakfast, ate Pellets twice yesterday with small amounts of Cabbage, could be suffering from Stasis at 1pm today? He had also wee'd and poohd overnight as normal.

But he never refused Pellets.

There is all the time between breakfast and 1pm for him to go off his food.

For example, something moving through his GI tract, moving through normally at 9.00 by 11.00 it becomes an obstruction and he starts to feel unwell.

Yes definitely Blossom's most recent bout was fine eating nuggets at 4pm, in stasis by 10pm.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I will explain a little further. Someone brought a Rabbit over to me on Wednesday afternoon to be a Husbun for Summer. I paid for him, they had brought some of his food over and they went home. I gave him some Pellets in the evening with a tiny piece of cabbage and he quickly devoured it all then sat looking at me. I said you can't have any more, eat your Hay! He was fed Pellets twice on Thursday, not a lot, and a tiny bit of cabbage but I was slightly worried that he hadn't eaten much Hay. And,once more, after polishing the food off ,he sits there looking at me as if to say well where is it? Friday I thought maybe the best course of action would be to ring the previous owners and maybe they can throw some light on this lack of Hay eating. They said he probably isn't used to the different Hay and they would bring some of his usual Hay over. They arrived just before 1 pm with a bag of his Hay and she insisted on picking him up to examine him. Then they said they had a friend who is a Vet and he wants to check his teeth and I said OK but you are bringing him back today? They said they were. They also told me he eats Hay all day long and is only 1 yr old, so he shouldn't have any teeth problems. They messaged me about 2.5 hours later on Friday to say the Vet suspects GI stasis and wants to keep him in overnight. I have heard nothing more. I have messaged asking how he is but no reply. Looking back, we should have given him some of his Hay to see if he ate it but they had already arranged to take him to the Vet but I bet if we had give him some Pellets he would have woofed them down. I phoned the Vets where they said he was registered but they are closed now until Monday. I am very upset about this. The Rabbit looked extremely healthy to me,and my friend. He just wasn't eating enough Hay.

What a difficult situation. They should be in better communication but if I was in your shoes, I would be suspecting that they were getting cold feet about rehoming him and have trust issues (no reflection on you, just scared them that he is poorly so soon after being in his new home). Stasis has always been a concern for me when a rabbit arrives here. Benji did full on food refusal. Cupid was the worst as I was fostering him and I 'diagnosed' megacolon within 12 hours of him arriving here.

I hope you get to hear about him soon.

If they had second thoughts, they should say and return your money. Were they paying the vet?
I once was checking out a bunny that a woman was giving away because her young son had allergies. He arrived home from school and questioned why I was holding his pet. Bunny was staying, I left.

I messaged them to ask about George (bunny) but got no reply. Yes they were going to pay the Vet but as he is a friend of theirs maybe not. They were very happy to leave Bunny here when they brought him so I really don't understand what has happened. I had paid for him so he was my Rabbit. I don't think they know a lot about Rabbits as when I said they don't tend to like being picked up they were really surprised. Yes maybe they had second thoughts about re-homing him but they have another boy who George doesn't get on with and they only have room for 1 as they are indoors.

They could at least give you a refund if they have changed their minds but their behaviour is awful in the current situation. Don't they realise you are worried about George?!

I have been very upset about George, he was settling in nicely, it was just his lack of eating the Hay. I love all my Rabbits, maybe it was when I said I don't tend to cuddle them, perhaps they thought it meant I don't love them. Wrong. I am just not a cuddler. When they have a Bunny friend they don't want you as much, which is fine with me.

I'm so sorry tonibun, this must be an incredibly upsetting situation. It's fine if they've changed their minds but they should inform you and refund your money.

Do you have any written communication (such as emails or texts) to confirm your agreement to buy George? Taking a completely hard nosed legal prospective, you do have a legally binding contract with them. Even if it had been an oral agreement, there is still a contract (although it would be harder to prove) as there has been an offer and acceptance, you have given consideration (ie money) but you no longer have the goods. Maybe a threat to sue for breach of contract might flush them out and for e them to reply?

Back