• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits catch fleas from a dog?

Graciee

Staff member
Pretty sure he has fleas but worried about buns and pigs

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Fleas can bite other species, including humans. I've recently had signs of fleas on cats (they don't go outside) which presumably were brought in by dogs (who do go out). I sprayed the house, which seems to have done the trick for a low level infestation. Spot on treatments are readily available and worth keeping in for dogs. I've never found evidence of fleas on my rabbits, Gpigs or smaller furries. Grooming everything weekly tends to catch evidence of fleas early.

It's that time of year - I would spray the house and treat the dog at the first sign of fleas. VetUK is my go-to for flea treatments.

Mine have caught them from cats, so I don’t see why they can’t from dogs- they are a different type of flea (I believe), but fleas will go anywhere rather than no where (which is why we can be bitten by fleas, for example).

Fleas can bite other species, including humans. I've recently had signs of fleas on cats (they don't go outside) which presumably were brought in by dogs (who do go out). I sprayed the house, which seems to have done the trick for a low level infestation. Spot on treatments are readily available and worth keeping in for dogs. I've never found evidence of fleas on my rabbits, Gpigs or smaller furries. Grooming everything weekly tends to catch evidence of fleas early.

It's that time of year - I would spray the house and treat the dog at the first sign of fleas. VetUK is my go-to for flea treatments.
Oh yea I've called the vet, coz he's due new flea stuff but they don't use what he had so my vet is gunna suggest something else. Anyone think it could be a mite I saw? He does have ear mites... I'm guessing not tho.. [emoji38]

Mine have caught them from cats, so I don’t see why they can’t from dogs- they are a different type of flea (I believe), but fleas will go anywhere rather than no where (which is why we can be bitten by fleas, for example).
Ah what did you use for buns? I'm wondering if I treat them too just in case

Fleas leave gritty bits of dried blood poo in the coat - that's usually the first sign there are fleas around. A fine tooth comb will usually pull them out, or feel the fur pulled out during a grooming session. If you look at areas where the fur is thinnest (eg belly, armpits), you may see dark coloured fleas moving along the skin. They are pretty quick.

Ear mites need treating separately with daily ear drops. I hope the breeder has been informed about them, as it's likely their other dogs will also need treating.

I wouldn't treat the rabbits unless you are certain they actually have fleas on them. You can get spot-on treatments for those as well.
https://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&sort=vuk&keyword=flea

Fleas leave gritty bits of dried blood poo in the coat - that's usually the first sign there are fleas around. A fine tooth comb will usually pull them out, or feel the fur pulled out during a grooming session. If you look at areas where the fur is thinnest (eg belly, armpits), you may see dark coloured fleas moving along the skin. They are pretty quick.

Ear mites need treating separately with daily ear drops. I hope the breeder has been informed about them, as it's likely their other dogs will also need treating.

I wouldn't treat the rabbits unless you are certain they actually have fleas on them. You can get spot-on treatments for those as well.
https://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&sort=vuk&keyword=flea

Yea I saw one on his belly well a fast moving sizable bug, no flea dirt tho.

Yes I was at the vets yesterday he has ear drops for a month.

Wasn't a breeder and there's no other dogs there so if they have fleas there [emoji51] coz it wasn't funny getting rid of fleas in this house without a host.. [emoji51][emoji38]

Freddie wasn't in the best state before we got him, I knew all this going in [emoji38] just trying to fix it all now for him!

I use Advantage. There’s another called Xenex, but I had a healthy rabbit die within 24 hours after giving that, so I always stick with Advantage for fleas and have never had a problem with that (we typically get hedgehogs that bring fleas and share with the cat, who shares with her house, who donate to the rabbits :lol:). It’s worth a vet chat to check that they would agree with whatever you decide to use.

I've never known a rabbit to have fleas. None of mine ever got fleas and I used to rescue poorly hedge hogs, I used to remove all the ticks and there fleas would go after a while as well. I fed them up on cat food and meal worms and when they were healthy they would get released back into the wild. Pigeons carry fleas I've rescued a few of those in my time too.

I had a squirrel who used to come into my home a lot and I ended up with bed bugs that took nearly two years to get rid of . It may have been a coincidence I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I think I'll just treat the dog and hope buns are okay, but keep close eye, if not then advantage. My buns have never had fleas before.. But with a dog in the house with fleas... Seems highly likely to me [emoji38] I'm assuming they're fleas! Tbh Idk what they are, but after training today ima go to vets and pick up what they left me to give him.

They said they worm every 3 months, but have given me a wormer and it's been a month... But nurse seemed unclear if he should take that now or not... So Idk about that one

Thanks everyone, I think I'll just treat the dog and hope buns are okay, but keep close eye, if not then advantage. My buns have never had fleas before.. But with a dog in the house with fleas... Seems highly likely to me [emoji38] I'm assuming they're fleas! Tbh Idk what they are, but after training today ima go to vets and pick up what they left me to give him.

They said they worm every 3 months, but have given me a wormer and it's been a month... But nurse seemed unclear if he should take that now or not... So Idk about that one

The fleas are probably on the rabbits but they wont live on the rabbit so once the dog has been treated then the fleas will leave the rabbits, dog fleas will be on furniture and fabrics but wont live on them for long.

What's the name of the wormer? Some are given every 3 months to cover for intestinal worms, but can be given monthly to cover for lungworm. Which is something he would get through ingesting an infected slug/snail or their slime. Anything like milpro, milbemax, milprazon is like that.

I would still treat the house (floors, soft furnishings, under beds, etc)- there will be eggs and larvae if you've seen fleas. It only needs doing once a year.

What's the name of the wormer? Some are given every 3 months to cover for intestinal worms, but can be given monthly to cover for lungworm. Which is something he would get through ingesting an infected slug/snail or their slime. Anything like milpro, milbemax, milprazon is like that.
Uhhh Idk which is which but he has drontal and primovox...? I might have spelt them wrong it was something like that tho! [emoji38] I think the vets said the primovox one they didn't do they use a different one? Have to see what I pick up today

The fleas are probably on the rabbits but they wont live on the rabbit so once the dog has been treated then the fleas will leave the rabbits, dog fleas will be on furniture and fabrics but wont live on them for long.
Yea I'm hoping so! I'll keep an eye

I would still treat the house (floors, soft furnishings, under beds, etc)- there will be eggs and larvae if you've seen fleas. It only needs doing once a year.
Yea I'll have to, gunna pick up stuff from vets today. I got rid of fleas before in this house when we bought it, but I used bombs.. And hoovered to death so Idk if I can do that again

Uhhh Idk which is which but he has drontal and primovox...? I might have spelt them wrong it was something like that tho! [emoji38] I think the vets said the primovox one they didn't do they use a different one? Have to see what I pick up today

Ah ok, prinovox covers not only fleas but also most worms and lungworm, he just needed drontal as it doesn't cover tapeworm. Your vets will chose a combination of what they sell to cover what he needs :)

ETA: when I first started working in a vets I thought there's no way I'd learn what everything covered and for how long, but we have tables stuck up at reception to help :lol: indorex is a good spray sold by vets for the house, you do have to air each room and remove pets from it though

Last edited:
Back