• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mini rex rolling over.

Woodi

New Kit
My mini rex is about 7 months old and today I noticed he was wobbly and keep rolling onto his side or back. He is eating and getting around and doesn't act like he is in pain but something is not right. It is like he is losing his balance. Maybe a hurt back? What can I check or do besides putting him a small box for a few weeks.

My mini rex is about 7 months old and today I noticed he was wobbly and keep rolling onto his side or back. He is eating and getting around and doesn't act like he is in pain but something is not right. It is like he is losing his balance. Maybe a hurt back? What can I check or do besides putting him a small box for a few weeks.

Hi Woodi, welcome to RU, sorry its under sad circumstances

I'm afraid this isn't one for self diagnosis, he needs a savvy vet asap . Good luck

He needs to be seen by a Vet. The symptoms you describe sound as though they could be neurological. It could be Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC). There is no ‘home treatment’ you can give without first obtaining a definitive diagnosis from a Vet. Here is some information about EC which does not always involve the Rabbit having head tilt.

LINK CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...phalitozoon-cuniculi-infection-in-rabbits.pdf

Please contact your Vet straight away, the sooner you do so the better the prognosis.

As others have said, please contact a vet without delay as it sounds as though your rabbit has an infection, which only a vet can treat.

Having experienced this with a bun I used to have, you need to seek vet advice ASAP. This isn't an issue that is likely to resolve itself without treatment, it is likely to get worse and the sooner your bun sees a vet the better.

I hope you've booked him in to see a vet. It could be a few things wrong, for example:
- EC parasite - is treatable - a lot of rabbits have the parasite. It shouldn't be a reason to PTS. Usually daily oral Panacur and metacam for 28 days.
- Ear issues can cause balance problems. Looking at antibiotics, pain relief, etc.
- Injury also needs to be ruled out.

The fact he is eating is a good sign. Check he can actually get to his food and water, and that he is toileting as normal. You may have to keep him clean until he can do it himself. But you definitely need a vet to look at him before he gets worse. Rabbits get stressed very easily, and that can have more serious side effects eg gut stasis, so it's very important to get a diagnosis and appropriate treatment. The symptoms indicate that it's not something that will go away without treatment, and could leave long term problems if not sorted out promptly. He's young and still eating - so that is in his favour. You may not get a difinitive cause - sometimes it's a general set of treatment to cover a broad base (eg antibiotics, pain relief & panacur), then see how he's doing.

Back