• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Caring for a doe after spay

Buka

Warren Scout
Hi all, my little Flopsy is coming home at 5pm after being spayed this morning. I’ve read to keep the rabbit warm post surgery but given the hot temperatures at the moment (26C here), should I cover up with a blanket or is it not needed. It will be 12C at night. Thanks

She shouldn’t need to be covered with blankets but she will need to be indoors, if she is an outdoor Rabbit. Make sure the Vet gives you a 5-7 day supply of analgesia to give her. She should have nibbled at some food and passed poo and wee before being discharged home. This should continue and improve overnight. If it does not and she doesn’t eat or poo you will need to call the Vet again as she would need some additional medication to get her GI tract moving. She would need syringe feeding too. Hope that her recovery goes well x

Thanks for your reply.

She’s now home. She’s looking really rough :sad:

Her eyes are wet, do they put something on her eyes during the surgery? Why do you think they’re wet?

Thanks for your reply.

She’s now home. She’s looking really rough :sad:

Her eyes are wet, do they put something on her eyes during the surgery? Why do you think they’re wet?

A lubricant is used in the eyes to protect the cornea whilst the Rabbit is unconscious as blinking doesn’t happen.

Thank you all.

She’s not eating or drinking at all so I syringe fed her last night and this morning and I will do again around 11am. She’s moving a little though and she passed a few poops.

Thank you all.

She’s not eating or drinking at all so I syringe fed her last night and this morning and I will do again around 11am. She’s moving a little though and she passed a few poops.

Do you have pain relief to give her ?

Yes, I was given metacam in pre-filled syringes. 0.3ml in each syringe. I’m to give her one in the morning and one at night. She’s 1.6kg

Yes, I was given metacam in pre-filled syringes. 0.3ml in each syringe. I’m to give her one in the morning and one at night. She’s 1.6kg

That’s good. Just make sure that she continues to pass some poo. Hopefully she will start eating for herself as the day progresses. Fresh herbs such as Coriander can get a Bunny interested in food again.

Sending lots of vibes for your Bunny. If you can find some Dandelion leaves and grass she would possibly be more interested in these. Otherwise some Spring Greens. She should start to perk up later today. Glad she has done some poohs.

Hoping your girl recovers well. It sounds like she is doing ok - its a big op after all. I agree with Jane & Tonibun, fresh herbs and dandelions are great at tempting bunnies.

Thanks all,

Flopsy nibbled on some herbs and I syringe fed her again. She seems a bit more comfortable than before. Brave girl :love:

You are doing a good job with her care. She should continue to make progress with eating and pooing.
It can be hard to see her like this, yet it is better for her future health.

Back