• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this enough space for my bunny?

Hi all,

First time posting here and I don’t know if I can add a photo, but it’s been years since I kept rabbits and some of the care and treatment of rabbits has changed. This is a huge long post, I know, but I wanted to accurately paint a picture of what she has and ask my questions.

For example, when I had my first rabbit as a child, 30 years ago (man I feel old! lol) we were advised to pick up rabbits by their scruff, which of course, I would never do now.

In any case, I also lived in Canada most of my life and I’ve been in the U.K. since I married a Brit for 10 years now. We finally got a house with a garden after the last 5 years of living in a flat and I got a bunny! She’s a mini-lop and 6 months old and I absolutely adore her. I’ve had her since she was old enough to safely leave her mum.

The breeder had a series of hutches she kept her rabbits in, and whilst they were well-cared for, I felt the space was too small. Her and her two litter mates and mum shared a smallish one story hutch and I knew I wanted more for my bunny. My yard itself has a very high, almost 7 foot tall solid wooden fence, and goes down to the absolute ground. We blocked off a small space near the gate, the only space a bunny or neighbourhood cat could squeeze through (albeit a small cat and small rabbit) and I have chicken wire we’re using to reinforce the entire thing.

Inside the grass was only about 45% covering it, I raked and aerated and planted seed and now I have lush grass I keep mowed and I’ve planted seed for the small areas that were missing grass. I dug s garden that follows the fence line on one side and along part of the back, and we’re finishing the garden on the other side this weekend, only part of it is done and was home to my carrots (which were harvested and fed to my grateful rabbit) and the tomatoes are still growing.

Along the back we have put paving stones down and put her hutch on top of it. Her hutch is very large, probably 5 feet long by 2 1/2 feet deep and has two stories…there is a ramp to the top story which covers half the size as the downstairs and has a large pull out tray and two roosting/nesting boxes that kind of stick out. My husband built a thin wooden cover, so we can open the door to the hutch and it fits in place and has a couple of tabs to secure it. The top half of this cover has hinges, so I can open the top half of the door and access inside her hutch without having to remove the whole door piece, because at the bottom of it he cut a perfect hole and ordered a long tunnel! The tunnel gives access to the lawn, where she has an octagonal pen, that has a hard fabric cover that secures at 8 points with tabs, so I can remove part or all of it, and we don’t have to worry about predators, like birds, swooping down.

In her pen she has a second tunnel she loves to push and drag around and run through when she gets rabbit “zoomies” and sometimes when it is raining and she wants to be outside, she can lie in the tunnel to stay dry or she lies in the grass underneath a small wooden table my husband built for her. She loves that thing, and can be found often on top of it stretched out or underneath it in the shade. She also loves “chewing” on it and has a water bottle inside her hutch and in her pen.

She has a variety of toys she throws and carries around, bunny safe sticks to carry, toys with sticks and mineral blocks attached to the side of her outdoor pen and indoor hutch, a couple of Himalayan salt licks and she has free access to her age specific bunny kibble and clean dishes where she gets regular produce of veggies, fruit and I dehydrated a variety of these as well, I mix with her dry salad - a bunny safe mix of flowers and the produce I dehydrate for her. She gets daily handfuls of her absolute favourite of dandelion leaves and because we have horses, the yard lets us take good quality hay, which she seems to be more interested in making beds out of than eating. She also has lots of grass, which I don’t mow or cut inside her pen and we move the pen around the yard before I mow the yard again.

She has a heavy duty wire basket on its side inside her hutch where she drags her hay to, to make a nest, and she drags the whole basket around to different spots and she also has a soft covered bed (it’s like a little cave for her) that I used to keep in the roosting boxes, but she never used it up there, so it’s down on the ground level and she spends a couple of hours a day curled up in it, or stretched out hanging out if it! 😂 she doesn’t spend a lot of time upstairs in her hutch. It’s changed once or twice a week; I line it with a couple of puppy pads for easy changing and line it in a few inches of quality shavings. She has litter trained herself. She will only go to the bathroom on this tray of shavings, so we’ve also put shavings in the roosting boxes in hopes she will go in there too, so eventually I will put a two layered mat where the tray is, she has one downstairs so she isn’t always on the paving stones, and anything on her feet or food or whatever, goes through the top layer of the pad and I can take it out, shake out the pad and hose it if I need to, so if she eventually only goes in the roosting pads, it will save shavings, time and she might use the big tray lined with the mat I plan on putting there to sit or sleep in inclement or cold weather, but it looks like she isn’t interested in spending time there (except to hide from the mower when I do the lawn) since that’s essentially her toilet and the ground floor has plenty of shelter wheh it’s raining.

I know this was long, but I wanted to accurately describe it. Does this sound like enough room for her? She runs and leaps and hops about and loves to zoom through her tunnels. She has plenty of access to high sun and shade and she’s warming up to me. If I pet her and stop and move my hand, she hops to my hand and presses her face and chin, hard against it and lies down under my hand and closes her eyes, waiting to be pet again. She comes inside when I watch tv and will sit on my lap for over an hour, eyes closed, laying against my chest whilst I scratch and pet her and will dig violently against me if I stop and she still wants pets or if she wants to still be in my lap and not hop down to explore.

I guess I just want reassurance that she’s got space, I’ve given her a bunny palace (especially compared to where she came from), that I’m feeding her correctly and also that she likes me…..the fact that she follows my hand and today I tapped on the side of her pen and called her and she came out of her hutch and through the tunnel at top speed and I opened the top of her pen and she stood up and pressed her head into my hand when it came into reach….and that she sits in my lap with her eyes closed, relaxed and asking for pets, I’m assuming she likes it AND likes me? I think she does, but I’m hoping other more experienced bunny owners will confirm this and her actions are showing me she’s happy with me and loves me?

I would suggest you have a thorough read of the vast amount of information available on the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) website. It covers all aspects about Best Practice regarding the care of Pet Rabbits including suitable accommodation, the importance of neutering and vaccinating and the importance of Rabbits having a companion/ companions of their own kind

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

:D

Hi, and welcome to the forum :love: your bunny sounds like she is very well cared for :love: you are right, thankfully rabbit care and advice has moved on, it’s not recommended to keep a single rabbit now, unless they are indoors and have a lot of human interaction but even then it’s best they have a bunny friend. A rescue may be able to suggest a potentially suitable friend and help with bonding. I would expect her to eat lots of hay and if she isn’t she may need her teeth checked at a rabbit savvy vets. If she isn’t spayed it is a good idea to have her done to avoid cancers

Hi, and welcome to the forum :love: your bunny sounds like she is very well cared for :love: you are right, thankfully rabbit care and advice has moved on, it’s not recommended to keep a single rabbit now, unless they are indoors and have a lot of human interaction but even then it’s best they have a bunny friend. A rescue may be able to suggest a potentially suitable friend and help with bonding. I would expect her to eat lots of hay and if she isn’t she may need her teeth checked at a rabbit savvy vets. If she isn’t spayed it is a good idea to have her done to avoid cancers

Way ahead of you. Teeth are great and she has an appointment to be spayed. We took her immediately after getting her for a checkup with a vet that was recommended to us by our next door neighbour who has used the same vet for years. We are new to this area as I’ve said and I obviously can’t use my large animal vet that we use for our horse, for our rabbit!

She has had her vaccines, but the vet wanted to wait until she was a little older - 7-8 months old - until spaying her. I mentioned that she doesn’t do more than nibble at her hay, but when looking at her diet and the fact that she eats so much grass, the vet did not seem concerned, because the bunny I had as a child and the subsequent one we had after our first had to be put down due to a large tumour in his left hind leg that was malignant and causing him quite a bit of pain (the tumour grew from a small bump we thought was a bug bite as they are quite common in Canada, especially because he lived outside most of the summer except during the worst of the heat, when he sat indoors under the air conditioner!) and the rabbit we got after him that was the devil incarnate and terrified me as a young child because she would viciously attack anyone for any reason, starting when we got her as a young bunny and no matter what we did she was just awful (a friend of ours wanted her as a companion for a rabbit they had that they rarely handled and lived in a big hutch and outdoor pen in their barn with the cows - because they didn’t handle their existing rabbit, she was super shy and would freak out and bite when handled, so they knew we were struggling and I was so upset about being unable to handle her, that they offered to take her, since they were trying to find a doe to keep theirs company and didn’t care about her temperament since they weren’t going to handle her).

The only thing is, we don’t have a companion for her. I know it’s recommended, but we tried to introduce her slowly to the next door neighbour’s rabbit. We look after each other’s rabbit whenever we’re away (I’m actually bunny sitting now for them) which is fabulous, but it didn’t go well, even though we slowly introduced them, their rabbit went after ours (theirs is a spayed doe who had a companion for years before she died). I’ve thought about a second rabbit, but the other thing is, I suffer from Ehlers-Danlos. It’s a connective tissue disorder that affects my collagen production. I always say that the connective tissues, like in your joints is like an elastic band. It stretches and when released, snaps back into place. Mine stretches, and then stretches further (I’m hypermobile or double-jointed) and when released it doesn’t snap back into place. That means I have frequent joint dislocations or subluxations (where it half dislocates) and soft skin, faulty blood vessels (and I’m super unlucky and have a bleeding disorder inherited from my mum which we found out after she almost died after some emergency surgery, and is kids were subsequently tested as a result, as she was adopted so things like the bleeding disorder and the Ehlers-Danlos wasn’t something we knew about until it caused major problems) and terrible scarring and healing after injuries and serious gastrointestinal issues. In any case, I’m on a cocktail of medications and in a fair bit of chronic pain, to the point I can’t work, and can only ride on good days and even then we’ve had to go from DIY livery for our horse to full livery as I can’t depend on my body and sometimes even on better days I thank the stars that my husband loves our horse and has began riding and can help me, as sometimes after riding I need help sorting her out.

It causes some depression which is worse because I don’t know anyone where we moved to recently and I’ve been lonely and it’s frustrating that I can’t control my body or how I feel. I can’t work either except for my Etsy business which I’m starting back up now that I’ve moved, so part of the reason we even got the rabbit was to keep me company. She spends hours every day with me, either in the house hopping around with me or in my lap (she probably spends about two hours a day being snuggled on my lap) and I spend lots of time outside with her in her area, too. I also do a lot of gardening daily and have her with me, and I think I spend more time with her than most people spend with their rabbits. Again, I know they recommend keeping them in pairs, but when I discussed how much time I spend with her, the introduction with the rabbit next door that went wrong and all the other factors, my vet didn’t seem too concerned that we didn’t have a second rabbit for her, based on the fact that she’s basically my “companion” animal that helps me feel better and sits with me and enjoys my company the way a companion dog for someone in my situation would.

A bond between 2 girls is the hardest to attempt and if either or both aren’t spayed it’s not something that’s recommended so I’m not surprised it didn’t work out. Just because one bond didn’t work doesn’t mean she won’t be able to be bonded once she is spayed. I’m surprised the vet didn’t advise you of that.

Back