• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strugging with diet, greens or not

Floppylop

Young Bun
I have five rabbits, all different ages, none of them have normal cecal droppings, they are not fed any greens or raw veg as this makes them worse, I have tried a straight hay diet, which improved things marginally, they are all healthy etc. My question is why? they are in pairs with the exception of the latest baby boy, but he too has soft cecal droppings, they all came at different times from different people, and yet All have this issue, I am stumped, they are fed rabbit pellets (burgess) and I now do add a pinch dried herbs/grasses, , unfortunately for some reason all the shops around here only stock Burgess, I have tried them in the past with other pellets, ......?? any ideas suggestions

I have five rabbits, all different ages, none of them have normal cecal droppings, they are not fed any greens or raw veg as this makes them worse, I have tried a straight hay diet, which improved things marginally, they are all healthy etc. My question is why? they are in pairs with the exception of the latest baby boy, but he too has soft cecal droppings, they all came at different times from different people, and yet All have this issue, I am stumped, they are fed rabbit pellets (burgess) and I now do add a pinch dried herbs/grasses, , unfortunately for some reason all the shops around here only stock Burgess, I have tried them in the past with other pellets, ......?? any ideas suggestions

Burgess Pellets are known to cause unformed/ excess cecal poo for some Rabbits. How long did you have them on a no Pellet Diet. It needs to be done for several weeks before any real benefits are seen

I would suggest trying hay only again for a while and look at transitioning to a different type of pellet feed, cold pressed pellets seem to be less likely to cause cecal problems than extruded pellets

https://haybox.club/collections/pellets/products/premium-rabbit-pellets

Cecal poo is soft, dark and like small raisins. You shouldn't normally be finding any as it is eaten as it is produced. Feeding lots of pellets can cause excess caecos.

Standard poo is hard, drier, round and usually crumbly, depending on the diet. Hay makes it more golden, grass makes it darker.

Burgess pellets can cause excess caecos issues in some rabbits. You could cut pellets out completely (do it gradually) and stick to a hay / grass diet, with fresh herbs and high fibre forage (bramble leaves, willow & apple branches with leaves, dandelions, etc).

Struggling with diet

I give the bunnies 1/2 handful morning and same at night, I have very small hands, so they arent getting too much, their normal droppings are perfectly normal?

Do they eat a good amount of hay, and which hay do you use? Perhaps try them on just 1 1/2 handful of pellets.

Quoting from Shimmer:

"Cecal poo is soft, dark and like small raisins. You shouldn't normally be finding any as it is eaten as it is produced. Feeding lots of pellets can cause excess caecos.

Standard poo is hard, drier, round and usually crumbly, depending on the diet. Hay makes it more golden, grass makes it darker."

I have decided to thin out the pellets altogether and try them with just a herb/hay mix for a while, I was hoping to put pictures on but not sue how to do it/

Back