• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oliver (maine coon)

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Oliver was 3 last month & has recently had a hair cut. I was looking back through my photos and can't believe how fluffy he got over winter though. Photo on the left was taken February this year & the other was this week. He doesn't even look like the same cat!
10146fff7d59925c97d1d5ced73d24e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Lovely lad!:love:
Still one of my favourite breeds, along with orientals - two completely different 'kettles of fish'. :lol:

Still one of my favourite breeds, along with orientals - two completely different 'kettles of fish'. [emoji38]

They're very vocal, aren't they? Freddie doesn't shut up, actually. [emoji1787] And, speaking of fish, he would probably eat a kettle full and ask for seconds. And he always has to be in the middle of whatever is going on. [emoji849]

57357518ff157e50ff77db6811d7444a.jpg

Oliver was 3 last month & has recently had a hair cut. I was looking back through my photos and can't believe how fluffy he got over winter though. Photo on the left was taken February this year & the other was this week. He doesn't even look like the same cat!
10146fff7d59925c97d1d5ced73d24e5.jpg

Omg hahaha yea looks like two different cats! [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

They're very vocal, aren't they? Freddie doesn't shut up, actually. [emoji1787] And, speaking of fish, he would probably eat a kettle full and ask for seconds. And he always has to be in the middle of whatever is going on. [emoji849]

57357518ff157e50ff77db6811d7444a.jpg

Those back feet!! They're hugeeee [emoji38]

We're calling our pup Freddie [emoji7]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Freddie always looks a mess from underneath. [emoji1787][emoji1787] And, yes, he has ginormous rabbit feet!

Freddie is a good name choice, in my totally biased opinion. He's known as Freddie the ****** because he is one, so hopefully your pup will be better behaved. [emoji1787]

Jane, Oliver is actually very sweet. I hold him and my vet nurse daughter clips him & he just sits there purring. Freddie, on the other hand, will slap, bite and kick if you even go near him with a comb. We do what we can by distracting with a tube of lick-e-lix but have to dose him up with gabapentin for a proper groom and dematt. We started grooming them both as soon as we got them home as kittens, to get them used to it, so I have no idea how they both turned out so different. [emoji1787]

Freddie always looks a mess from underneath. [emoji1787][emoji1787] And, yes, he has ginormous rabbit feet!

Freddie is a good name choice, in my totally biased opinion. He's known as Freddie the ****** because he is one, so hopefully your pup will be better behaved. [emoji1787]

Jane, Oliver is actually very sweet. I hold him and my vet nurse daughter clips him & he just sits there purring. Freddie, on the other hand, will slap, bite and kick if you even go near him with a comb. We do what we can by distracting with a tube of lick-e-lix but have to dose him up with gabapentin for a proper groom and dematt. We started grooming them both as soon as we got them home as kittens, to get them used to it, so I have no idea how they both turned out so different. [emoji1787]

Morse has been groomed every day since he was 8 weeks of age. He still makes a drama out of it 6 and a half years latter :roll:

Maine Coon coats have changed a lot from the original 'wild' coat, which the first imports to the UK had in the 1980s - undercoat for insulation and long, weatherproof top coat. They've got a lot fluffier through selective breeding, which isn't what they were designed to be - hence the grooming issues. The 'wild' coat wasn't supposed to mat and knot up - it was a natural adaptation to where they were living.

Aww he us a handsome boy, such a lovely face :love: I groom George every night before his tea, so he's a really good boy and let's me do it, cos he knows he's going to get fed after :roll:

I love your gorgeous lads. :love: The difference in temperament would be normal to me, I've had all sorts, but that cranky, "no touchie" cattitude appears to be more common in cats these days. I haven't had one that was a love bug for years. :(

My bridge boy, Griffy, was hell on wheels if he even suspected you were coming at him with a brush. :( However he didn't really start matting till he got older, developed CKD and began leaving off grooming himself. After that it was a struggle just to keep up with his mess. He also wouldn't just leave fur where he slept...it had a knack for weaving itself tightly to any surface. We started calling him Spiderman because it would be like webbing wherever you found it and damned hard to remove. Griff could've passed for part Maine coon but didn't have the size...I think I figured him to be Asian Tiffany.

Oddly it's Squeegee now who leaves carpets of fur all over and he's just a short haired orange tabby moggy. I wonder how he's not going about naked, it looks like ten cats live here! :roll:

Maine Coon coats have changed a lot from the original 'wild' coat, which the first imports to the UK had in the 1980s - undercoat for insulation and long, weatherproof top coat. They've got a lot fluffier through selective breeding, which isn't what they were designed to be - hence the grooming issues. The 'wild' coat wasn't supposed to mat and knot up - it was a natural adaptation to where they were living.
Freddie's fur is more "original type" I'd say. He has incredibly dense fur (you literally can't part it to find his skin) with a very downy undercoat and a longer top coat. He stays out in all weathers and only the very top layer of fur ever gets wet. Considering how little we manage to groom him, he doesn't get that badly matted & it tends to be mainly in the areas of friction (armpits and groin) and around his bum (which I suspect is because, when we do groom him, lots of loose fur gets brushed to that region and builds up.)

Oliver's fur is totally different. Very fine with very little undercoat & you can very easily find bare skin. It also felts just by looking at it (like an angora rabbit, I guess) so, without regular grooming, he would very soon end up with one huge matted, felted fur coat.

Everything nobody ever wanted to know about my cats' fur lol.....

I'm actually glad Oliver is the more tolerant one as Freddie would be impossible to manage if he had Oliver's fur!

Aww he us a handsome boy, such a lovely face :love: I groom George every night before his tea, so he's a really good boy and let's me do it, cos he knows he's going to get fed after :roll:
Freddie gets fed WHILE grooming is taking place and still gives us grief. He loves a bit of cat toothpaste on a toothbrush too so that gives us a couple of minutes to give him a quick once over. [emoji1787]

I love your gorgeous lads. :love: The difference in temperament would be normal to me, I've had all sorts, but that cranky, "no touchie" cattitude appears to be more common in cats these days. I haven't had one that was a love bug for years. :(

Awww. Freddie is feisty but he absolutely craves attention and affection. He cries in the morning to be let out of the kitchen & often seeks one of us out to give him tummy rubs while he sucks his own foot (a cute kitten thing that he never grew out of) but he just hates any kind of restraint or inappropriate touching lol.

Funny how you described Squeegee; I often think this. So much fur around the house. [emoji1787]

Back