• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating...

Mr Chief is refusing too eat! We have tried everything in the house that is ok for buns. Even apple and carrot. He just refuses and turns away. If we try and wave it in his face he growls at us and pounces with his front paws. We are really worried! [emoji26]

I thought it may be gut stasis so I haven't syringe fed him. We gave him 2 syringes of water which he drank ok. I also lifted his head and front paws and stretched his tummy out and massaged his tummy to help move any gas.

We also gave him 0.5 mls of Loxicom. I realise it is a low dose for him. Should I give him another 0.5 mls? I hate to think he is suffering though!

He is also fast breathing which he seems to do when he is ill and possibly in pain.

Is there anything else we can do that may help him? Should we try syringe feeding him a little and see how he goes? It is so horrible not knowing what is wrong with him!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

He just started nibbling on some curly kale! I'm hoping that is good news!

We wondered if it could be the weather again as it is so muggy today!

He is eating hay again and looks better. Panic over! It has just started to feel a bit fresher. I think it must have been the heat again. He has also pooped but they are really hard. Maybe he is dehydrated as well.

That was a horrible few hours!

It sounds as though he had abdominal pain. It is never a good idea to syringe feed until a blockage has been ruled out by an examination by a Vet. Giving water is OK, but nothing else.

Gas can build up when GI tract motility is reduced and this obviously causes pain. Anorexia and rapid breathing indicate pain. I am glad that he appears to be improving, but keep a close eye on his poo output which should return to normal size and quantity over the next 12 - 24 hours. If it remains very small and dry this indicates the his GI tract motility is still not right, usually due to a poor intake of hay. Dental problems are a possible primary issue so I would want a Vet to take a look at him.

Sorry Mr Chief has had not been his normal self. I agree if he's not back to normal eating and pooping, then a vet visit would be wise. Hope he's ok soon xx

Thank you so much everyone. He definitely did not seem his usual self last night. I will keep a close eye on him to make sure he eats and drinks enough xx

Monitoring his poo output is important too :D
Yes thank you. I have been monitoring them both actually. I took away a huge cardboard box that they keep eating today. I thought maybe they could be filling themselves up on cardboard instead of hay.

He had a drink from the bowl a couple of times that we witnessed so that's good plus he is eating more hay. We have put some hay near where they lie to encourage them to eat more hay aswell xx

Personally I never give my Rabbits access to any type of cardboard. Some Rabbits will just chew it, but many will eat it and I have known of cases of both GI tract obstruction and Cecal Impaction as a direct result of eating cardboard. Wooden chew toys such as Apple tree twigs or things like willow balls and sea grass mats are much safer :D

Personally I never give my Rabbits access to any type of cardboard. Some Rabbits will just chew it, but many will eat it and I have known of cases of both GI tract obstruction and Cecal Impaction as a direct result of eating cardboard. Wooden chew toys such as Apple tree twigs or things like willow balls and sea grass mats are much safer :D
I have taken away the cardboard and got them a mat and some timothy hay chews instead. Mr Chief seems much better now and his poop output is normal both in amount and size.

I am now concerned with Lillabelle. She is pooping fur chains of poop. Tonight she pooped a chain of 16 poops! I have read that chains of poop are normal but this is the majority of her poops!

We feel Mischief's fur seems to be the culprit as she grooms him loads. He has really long fur and he has been moulting for 2-3 months and his fur gets everywhere. He has a really dense coat underneath and it gets very matted at the roots.

He hates being brushed and tries to escape. My OH holds him while I brush him but he gets distressed very quickly. Also a usual brush does not get to the problem matted fur so we have to use a metal comb and do a little bit at a time. And we take any excess fur off his coat with a plastic brush with plastic grooves on it as we wet his fur slightly.

I have cut down their veggies that they have twice a day to try and get her to eat more hay but she is not a big hay eater. She just waits for her veggies. We have also cut their pellets down to a half an egg cup a day at most.

They also have a handful of dry herbs/leaves/flowers at night and a couple of dandelion roots each.

They have mainly meadow hay with a few handfuls of timothy hay thrown over it. We can't afford more as it is so expensive.

Is there anything else we could try to help her poops be more normal? Any suggestions would be a real help. Thank you everyone xx

I have 2 lionheads. I always consider it a good thing when mine are able to pass the fur in their poo, though I do not recall a strand of 16 connected poos.
Hay is a good choice to keep things moving.

Are the poos filled with felted fur?

Perhaps you can trim the fur shorter so the strands are shorter and less likely to form such a long chain?

I have 2 lionheads. I always consider it a good thing when mine are able to pass the fur in their poo, though I do not recall a strand of 16 connected poos.
Hay is a good choice to keep things moving.

Are the poos filled with felted fur?

Perhaps you can trim the fur shorter so the strands are shorter and less likely to form such a long chain?
Hi Bunny momma [emoji847]

What do you mean by felted fur? Sorry if being stupid lol. He leaves little clumps of fluffy white hair almost like candy floss.

I think its the matted fur underneath that causes the problem. Its just short hairs knitted togethe. I've had lots of french lops in the past but never a bun with such dense fur. And Lillabelle buries her nose right in to the matted fur when she cleans him.

We considered trimming his fur but honestly I don't feel comfortable doing it plus now is the wrong time of year to be trimming fur off imo as Autumn approaches. His moulting ends near his birthday on 19th September so not long to go. Then we have chance to get on top of things.

We have cut the fresh veggiesdown to a handful each twice a day in the hope she gets so hungry she has to eat hay.

And also try and brush him more. However I worry he will get too stressed out with this. He does a binky when I go near him as it is and runs off.

Our relationship has gone from really close to no relationship at a really. He never jumps on the bed for cuddles anymore and only comes near me when he wants food. It does upset me and makes me sad sometimes but he is so in love with Lillabelle.

They have the cutest relationship ever and are always together so I know I have done the right thing. They are both so happy together and never argue [emoji173]

Thanks for your help. I wonder if I am over worrying? Maybe I should ask my vet about it but I feel this forum knows more usually.

I hope everybun is well and maybe speak to you soon [emoji4]

Back