• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re: fostering **update page 11**

Welcome, Bugsy, you're one of us now :love:

I have to say he doesn't look 3.5 kilos. Is he very long?

Ok, here is the link of 'Bugsy's' arrival - so you are sharing in the moment he took his first steps here.

Better explain a few things. There's a wire fence if you look closely that seperates the bottom half of our garden.It stretches right across so Flo is kept out of the top part. At the moment Bugsy hasn't strayed out of his run area but we (Alex and me) are taking it in turns to sit with Bugsy in the run area. Bugsy seems to be happy coming out when one of us is there rather than being on his own. Maybe it's a confidence thing? He has eaten some greens. There is tons of hay on the hutch and yes for the observant I know there wasn't a water bottle on the hutch to start with - I can assure you there is now plus a bowl in the fun for him to drink.
The observant amongst you will see a green cover at the fish pond - it's to keep the sun off - Jan's idea not mine.
Yes the lawn is a total state - it last rained here at the start of June. Bugsy likes his little cardboard tube and we have a longer tube in there now as well.
Alex has spent along time in the run - he's out there now and Bugsy is very much starting to trust and bond with Alex. I haven't been out as much - I'm keeping an eye on Flo here and doing 'stuff'.
The video is a bit sketchy - I'll work on that.
I'll post more when I make some - probably tomorrow. It will have been a confusing day for bugsy - he has moved to a completely different environment with new people and smells and noises. Not sure about his wonky ear tho. That's well and truly wonky. he will need some time to tune into this environment and work out what is what and get use dto the trains, the traffic, the birds and all the rest.
And yes Omi, I think he is quite long but he seems very well proprtioned.
Craig

:love: what a lovely boy. I do like a bigger bun.
Same! Big buns are the bestest! [emoji7] Although he's not actually that big.. [emoji38] He's lovely Craig, I'm sure he'll have a great time at yours :) what you gunna name him?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks everybun. Flos already clocked bugsy but so far has remained passive. Her body language was clear as she sat in an observation spot not moving, just watching him in the top of the hut. It’s already very warm here at 8am. Flos having garden time whilst bugsy just takes in the world from his hutch.
Graciee - yes if we do adopt then we’ll change his name but not sure to what.
He hasn’t eaten his food from last night yet but he was eating greens and kale from the run before I covered him up last night.
He also has an incredibly long tongue and a strangely moist nose - probably from licking it.
Flos happily monching on the shrivelled grass and getting used to a smaller area to play in.

He is a handsome bunny :love:

Did the rescue mention his ear? Wouldn't worry me at all aesthetically but I would want to know what the issue was.

Is he eating this morning? What food did he leave overnight?

Make sure that his moist nose is not being caused by a discharge.

He is a handsome bunny :love:

Did the rescue mention his ear? Wouldn't worry me at all aesthetically but I would want to know what the issue was.

Is he eating this morning? What food did he leave overnight?

Make sure that his moist nose is not being caused by a discharge.

Thanks Omi. No mention from the rescue about his ear. It doesn't bother me, he does seem able to move it. I did read somwehere some time ago that on some rabbits, one ear does drop (helicopter ears) but the other doesn't. He's left all the food I put out last night - chopped greens, kale, a bit of herbs and a small handful of excel pellets. I will monitor that closeley. I suspect that it's just all unsettling for him. He's gone from the rescue, to a foster carer, settled, then back to the rescue to then come here. Everything is overload for him.
His moist nose is not a discharge - it's just healthy as noses should be - but you do feel it when you get a bump.
He's been grooming the snuggle bun in his run just now when I was out with him but it's stinking hot outside and he's not really keen to spend much time out. I have put an extended roof alt on the hutch with some extra tarpaulin which has put the inside of his hutch in the shade. Unfortunately with our garden being north facing, the hutch either faces east (as it does now) and gets the not-so-hot monring sun, or it faces west and gets the full force of the hotter afternoon sun. I could turn the hutch to face south but that'll just get full sun. So this is the best postion for him at the moment.

Ah good to see him setteling in. He seems pretty confident and looks good. Hope his ear issue is nothing to worry about and that when the time comes he and Flo are a good match.

He's gorgeous :love: Sorry if I'v missed it, how old is he? maybe the other ear is taking awhile to drop into a lop? Also I assume (sorry if I missed previous info on this too) he will have a lid on the run when he's unattended? as by the size of him and his confidence, I wouldn't be surprised if he would scale that quite easily and you find him sitting in the flower beds or at your door, trust me I have two Houdini's! :lol:

Aside from that enjoy him, he really looks like he's going to be so much fun :love:

He's gorgeous :love: Sorry if I'v missed it, how old is he? maybe the other ear is taking awhile to drop into a lop? Also I assume (sorry if I missed previous info on this too) he will have a lid on the run when he's unattended? as by the size of him and his confidence, I wouldn't be surprised if he would scale that quite easily and you find him sitting in the flower beds or at your door, trust me I have two Houdini's! :lol:

Aside from that enjoy him, he really looks like he's going to be so much fun :love:

Thank you - yes we have already suspected that he is weighing up his options for a leap of faith over the run. He will always be supervised so we can react if he does go over the top. He won't be able to scale the metal fence thank goodness.
He is 18 months old so pretty much fully grown. At the moment, he will only come into the run if someone is there - so he is still adjusting to his new surroundings.

Thank you - yes we have already suspected that he is weighing up his options for a leap of faith over the run. He will always be supervised so we can react if he does go over the top. He won't be able to scale the metal fence thank goodness.
He is 18 months old so pretty much fully grown. At the moment, he will only come into the run if someone is there - so he is still adjusting to his new surroundings.

:lol: Aww I really hope it all works out for you all.

Thanks Omi. No mention from the rescue about his ear. It doesn't bother me, he does seem able to move it. I did read somwehere some time ago that on some rabbits, one ear does drop (helicopter ears) but the other doesn't. He's left all the food I put out last night - chopped greens, kale, a bit of herbs and a small handful of excel pellets. I will monitor that closeley. I suspect that it's just all unsettling for him. He's gone from the rescue, to a foster carer, settled, then back to the rescue to then come here. Everything is overload for him.
His moist nose is not a discharge - it's just healthy as noses should be - but you do feel it when you get a bump.
He's been grooming the snuggle bun in his run just now when I was out with him but it's stinking hot outside and he's not really keen to spend much time out. I have put an extended roof alt on the hutch with some extra tarpaulin which has put the inside of his hutch in the shade. Unfortunately with our garden being north facing, the hutch either faces east (as it does now) and gets the not-so-hot monring sun, or it faces west and gets the full force of the hotter afternoon sun. I could turn the hutch to face south but that'll just get full sun. So this is the best postion for him at the moment.

I completely understand about everything being different for him and that he needs to settle. I also obviously don't want to interfere in your normal feeding routine. I will admit I worry if my bunnies refuse food.

Also, I would always want to observe when my bunnies eat pellets for a couple of reasons. One because of the risk of choking if they gobble (I even hand feed most of the pellets given here) and two because pellets are a good indicator if something is not right with them ie they don't want them. So what I do, and this is more for your interest rather than me saying this is what you should do, is give them a few pellets before leaving them for the night. Then overnight they have just hay or sometimes, if we have them, some sticks to nibble. Then when I greet them in the morning they are offered a few pellets.

If he's feeling unsettled then it's possibly best for his digestion to keep everything very simple for a while and make hay his main food.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about his ear. With Lop X breeds it is not unusual to have helicopter ears. Has he had a good poo output overnight ? Given that he has not eaten I would be super vigilant of his output today.

Stress can cause Rabbits to have a wet nose as their respiratory rate is increased. As long as there isn’t any white mucus or sneezing I would not be worried about that at the moment. I think the important thing is to make sure he has some output and that he starts to eat soon.

Last edited:
Aww he's lovely. I remember Scipio didn't eat any of the greens I left him on the first night he was here. I suspect it was a combination of feeling a bit unsettled and suspicious about new food. Once he was more settled he started gobbling away like a champ. Hopefully it will be the same with Bugsy.

Brief update from the rescue centre regarding input/output. At his previous foster carers, they recorded the same observations on eating. They said he was a bit bewildered by all the change and after a couple of days he had settled and was fine with food. It’s much the same as with human fostering - everything you had that was your world has suddenly gone and it’s hard to understand why that is and there’s usually a wish to have that world back. So it’s natural to get a bit withdrawn until you feel comfortable with how things are and if they are better. If that makes sense.
Also the same with his pooping - I use megazorb and I’ve hit loads of hay and straw in there and he was used to back 2 nature litter so it’s a bit like changing loo rolls.
Our friend from the rescue is popping round on Tuesday for a catch-up and we also have support from the centres bonding expert too plus everyone on here so we’ll see how bugsys journey goes.
He’s doing a couple of mini binkies so he’s reasonably content and I think much happier having half a garden to explore - and I’m in that part with him catching up with some sleep and enjoying the ferocious heat here!

Back