• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re: fostering **update page 11**

It’s much the same as with human fostering - everything you had that was your world has suddenly gone and it’s hard to understand why that is and there’s usually a wish to have that world back. So it’s natural to get a bit withdrawn until you feel comfortable with how things are and if they are better. If that makes sense.
Also the same with his pooping - I use megazorb and I’ve hit loads of hay and straw in there and he was used to back 2 nature litter so it’s a bit like changing loo rolls.

Not quite comparing like with like as we know a Rabbit’s GI tract works very differently to a humans. We know a human won’t become poorly if they don’t eat or poo for 24 hours, but a Rabbit probably will. Hopefully you will find some poo in his enclosure or in the hay piles :D I would be concerned if he had not passed any poo since arrival.

I’ve found some evidence of pee - but no evidence of poop. He’s still not really eaten anything significant. He’s taken a branch of broccoli from jan, a couple of cranberries, a small slice of apple and some carrot tops. We think he’s just very very hot. Will continue to monitor and if nothing indicating eating or output then we’ll ring the rescue and the rescues vet.

I observed Bugsy having a monch on his own about 6:30 - looked as if it was hay on the top deck. I went out at 8pm with some cranberries, chopped blueberries (only 1) and some fresh herbs and cabbage. Bugsy seemed much more interested in food so gobbled down some cabbage, bluberry and cranberries and a few bits of hay. When it came to covering him up for the night, we’ve now discovered he doesn’t like that and immediately took to ripping and eating shreds of newspaper which are on the top deck. Took the covers off, the assault on the newspaper stopped. Covers back on, rip rip rippety rip. So me and him had a chat and I sat with him til he calmed down. The snuggle bun is in with him - I think he’s just incredibly lonely and his world has all changed so he’s trying to process it all. I can’t leave him uncovered so the covers are down now for the night. I think also he was very hot as it’s been really hot here.
His notes from the other foster placement support this. He was placed into foster care exactly one month ago and they observed the same pattern.
Hopefully now he’s eating something then there will be some output. He has a busy few days ahead and a very special important visit tomorrow as has Flo.

Personally I would remove the newspaper. If he not only rips it but also ingests it then he could get into a lot of trouble given that he has now not had any fecal output for over 24 hours.

Did the Rescue give you a diet sheet for him ? It really is best not to introduce foods he might never have had before. I would want to keep his diet simple, just a small portion of the pellets he is used to, hay and water. I would avoid any type of fruit, even in small amounts. Cabbage and other brassicas can cause gas so if you do feed him veg a small portion of greens or fresh herbs would be far better. His GI tract will already be gassy given he has marked reduced gut motility. So diet is super important at this stage.

If he does not have any poo output by first thing tomorrow I would contact the Vet with whom he is currently registered.

How is he doing with drinking water? It may be difficult to tell is his bowl is evaporating or being spilled yet pee is a positive.
Freezing water containers for him to sit near may help him beat the heat.
I agree with Jane in regards to introducing new foods slowly.
Most of my bunnies sometimes shred newspapers, though none ingest the shreds based on my close observations.

I observed Bugsy having a monch on his own about 6:30 - looked as if it was hay on the top deck. I went out at 8pm with some cranberries, chopped blueberries (only 1) and some fresh herbs and cabbage. Bugsy seemed much more interested in food so gobbled down some cabbage, bluberry and cranberries and a few bits of hay. When it came to covering him up for the night, we’ve now discovered he doesn’t like that and immediately took to ripping and eating shreds of newspaper which are on the top deck. Took the covers off, the assault on the newspaper stopped. Covers back on, rip rip rippety rip. So me and him had a chat and I sat with him til he calmed down. The snuggle bun is in with him - I think he’s just incredibly lonely and his world has all changed so he’s trying to process it all. I can’t leave him uncovered so the covers are down now for the night. I think also he was very hot as it’s been really hot here.
His notes from the other foster placement support this. He was placed into foster care exactly one month ago and they observed the same pattern.
Hopefully now he’s eating something then there will be some output. He has a busy few days ahead and a very special important visit tomorrow as has Flo.

I stopped putting newspaper down for my bunnies because they would eat it and I don't like the idea of my rabbits eating newspaper especially with all that ink on it. My rabbits are pretty good with using the litter tray so there is really no need for the news paper. My bunnies wont eat dried fruit. They love cabbage and leafy greens and herbs but fruit on the other hand they don't care to much for it. I bought them some dried fruit as treats for training but they don't even look at it.

Update - 7am. Well, I can honestly say I never saw this coming!
We have output. And the reason I never saw it coming is because I’ve pulled the hutch apart and found nothing. My nerves are shot to pieces and I began scratting round trying to get the vet number and the rescue centre number. Bugsy was out in the garden whilst I was doing this - watching from the kitchen window. Worried as hell, I was just about to type in the vet number and as I was about to, I watched bugsy closely. And this is why I never saw this coming.
He was sitting still, in one very unique spot. And every bun out there is now nodding away going “ah - I know what’s coming”.
Yup, the spot this little bunny was sitting in is the exact spot Flo and Alfred use and have used almost exclusively used now to go to the toilet. So I just sat and observed. Leaving him alone. He sat still for several minutes and moved so I ran out like a bat out of hell and, I have to say, it’s not the best way to start a day when your nose and face is inches away from a pile of fresh moist bum nuggets and people must think I’m a carrot short of a bunch, but there they were - fresh bugsy bombs.
I’m so stoopid for not realising that this area wouldn’t be used by bugsy - and highlights again my lack of understanding and knowledge on these matters. Most of the nuggets were formed well but there were a few slightly runny bits - which I guess is just him adjusting and I’ll monitor this now I know where he’s going.
I could do without a stress overload at the start of my week but at least we’re going forward in the right way and bugsy seems quite happy exploring his half of the garden.
Off to put him in his hutch as I have to get ready for work. Flo has had a run out too and jan will spend time outside with bugsy today.
Craig.

Update - 7am. Well, I can honestly say I never saw this coming!
We have output. And the reason I never saw it coming is because I’ve pulled the hutch apart and found nothing. My nerves are shot to pieces and I began scratting round trying to get the vet number and the rescue centre number. Bugsy was out in the garden whilst I was doing this - watching from the kitchen window. Worried as hell, I was just about to type in the vet number and as I was about to, I watched bugsy closely. And this is why I never saw this coming.
He was sitting still, in one very unique spot. And every bun out there is now nodding away going “ah - I know what’s coming”.
Yup, the spot this little bunny was sitting in is the exact spot Flo and Alfred use and have used almost exclusively used now to go to the toilet. So I just sat and observed. Leaving him alone. He sat still for several minutes and moved so I ran out like a bat out of hell and, I have to say, it’s not the best way to start a day when your nose and face is inches away from a pile of fresh moist bum nuggets and people must think I’m a carrot short of a bunch, but there they were - fresh bugsy bombs.
I’m so stoopid for not realising that this area wouldn’t be used by bugsy - and highlights again my lack of understanding and knowledge on these matters. Most of the nuggets were formed well but there were a few slightly runny bits - which I guess is just him adjusting and I’ll monitor this now I know where he’s going.
I could do without a stress overload at the start of my week but at least we’re going forward in the right way and bugsy seems quite happy exploring his half of the garden.
Off to put him in his hutch as I have to get ready for work. Flo has had a run out too and jan will spend time outside with bugsy today.
Craig.

Fresh moist bum nuggets :lol: thats funny.

Thats great news your bunny is pooing and eating. I was worried about Lamb Chop when I first got her because she wouldn't eat neither and didn't really poop but now she does although not as much as my other two. I wish you luck with your bunny, and I hope your bunny makes a full recovery.

Glad to hear there has been some output. Given that some of the poo was runny I really really would urge you not to feed him any more fruit of any kind, minimise pellets and encourage as much hay eating as possible.

Glad to hear there has been some output. Given that some of the poo was runny I really really would urge you not to feed him any more fruit of any kind, minimise pellets and encourage as much hay eating as possible.

Thanks Jane. Yup fruit is off the menu so it’s hay hay hay greens and what’s left of the dried grass on the lawn.

7pm update. Bugsy presently sitting doing more pooping in the communal area and chomping whatever grass is near. I’ll check once he’s left the area. Been treated to a right binkey fest tonight as he was showing off his moves at the top of the garden. Hopefully this means he feels more settled. He had 5 hours garden time this afternoon with jan and he’s properly grazing away now. Also observed eating a couple of pellets. He seems to be more settled and relaxed.
We have our friend from the rescue coming to check on his progress tomorrow evening and both bugsy and Flo were honoured by a special visitor this evening who was an amazing person.
Will update tomorrow.

Aww he sounds really happy Craig, binkying away bless him. You know the more I hear the name Bugsy, the more I like it, just saying ! :lol::lol:

Lovely update! It sounds like he did not want to poo in his own space.The binky show sounds like he is adjusting nicely!

Good to hear that Bugsy is getting more settled. Sounds like you are getting plenty of exercise too with your sprints down the garden to find fresh bum nuggets!

Back