• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you tell the age of an adult rabbit?

Shimmer

Warren Veteran
I've just picked up an adult rabbit. She was found in a field a year ago and was fully grown then. No microchip, so no clues there. She's obviously an adult, probably at least 2 years old, but not an OAP. I would like to narrow it down a bit. Are there any indicators for ageing a rabbit? I remember FHB mentioning the toes starting to go wonky around a certain age, but can't remember what that was.

I think their nails change as they get older, on my guesstimated to be young buns they start out quite thin / fine & bulk out as time goes on.

The Ungual phalanges of Rabbits aged about 6+ can tend to stick out a bit and the nail grows curling upwards

The skin of older Rabbits is also tougher, so for example you would notice you have to use more force to get a needle into the skin to give an injection.

The Ungual phalanges of Rabbits aged about 6+ can tend to stick out a bit and the nail grows curling upwards

The skin of older Rabbits is also tougher, so for example you would notice you have to use more force to get a needle into the skin to give an injection.

That reminds me when I took in Scally, Ruth (vet) said one way of aging male rabbits is older ones have wrinkly scrotums. ... not applicable when aging a doe, of course but I felt the need to share :oops: ... the tough skin observation does tie in though.

Thank you. Will see what everyone at vet says on Thurs. She must be at least 2 years old, based on the info I have.
Toes and nails are all nice and straight. Nails are a nice opaque white with no other colouring. Suggesting nearer 2 than 6?
No idea if she's neutered, either (suspect she may be with lack of reported hormonal behaviour - but will have to be checked anyway). Or what colour she is - suspect opal or lynx VM lionhead X.

Tough skin - I had 2 vaccinated yesterday (1 yr and 2 yr old). Has problems getting the needle into both of them, which I thought was odd.

Back