• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit hates me.

groseivy

New Kit
I got a rabbit in march and i love her more than words can say. she’s honestly saved my life and makes me happier than i can even comprehend. she recently got into some chocolate (friday night) and she went to the vets straight away where they prescribed her this liquid charcoal and said she would be fine. my rabbit (ivy) is stubborn to say the least. she hates the charcoal more than anything and the first time she had it went okay because the vet done it. the second time it was a three person job and the most recent (just now) was awful and i had to tip her upside down to put her into freeze mode or whatever it’s called. the vet put ivy in this position before and she hated it (most rabbits probably do i’m not too sure) but after trying for two hours i didn’t know what else to do. it makes it worse because she already was barley coming out of her pen which i assume is because of how hysterical i was when i had found her (we had come back around 1-2am from the hospital for my dad) and so i think i scared her. i have no idea what to do when she’s out she’ll let me stroke her and will climb all over me but i am just so afraid of her hating me. please tell me if i’m being dramatic it’s honestly been such a rough couple of days i don’t even know if i’m being dramatic or not.

Last edited:
Firstly, please don’t administer anything to her by mouth when she is on her back. She could aspirate it. In a very few limited clinical situations a Vet might use Tonic Immobility (Trancing) to ‘stun’ a Rabbit into being compliant. But it should never be used in other settings.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/maintenance-handling/trancing/

It is unlikely that giving any more Charcoal now would be of benefit anyway if the chocolate was eaten 2 days ago. Toxic effects of Theobromine usually occur rapidly in Rabbits and are amount ingested dependent.

I would make sure your Rabbit has access to AND EATS lots of hay and that she has a good intake of water. Monitor poo and urine output carefully.

Try not to handle her for a few days unless absolutely essential, just sit quietly in her company and allow her to approach you if she wants too. Rabbits don’t have the capacity to ‘hate’ as humans do. Any behaviour that could be interpreted as hate are usually fear and/ or stress induced. Ivy won’t bear any grudges against you in the long term, just give her time to de- stress.

If you are concerned that she is not eating well, has any abnormal poo output eg very small poo, no poo or diarrhoea, then you need to contact the Vet again.

Hopefully Ivy will be fine :)

Bunnies can bring us tremendous joy and when they need care it is stressful on both bunny and human.
You already got excellent advice above.
IME your bunny will not hate you.
Sending vibes your bunny makes a full recovery.

Firstly, please don’t administer anything to her by mouth when she is on her back. She could aspirate it. In a very few limited clinical situations a Vet might use Tonic Immobility (Trancing) to ‘stun’ a Rabbit into being compliant. But it should never be used in other settings.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/maintenance-handling/trancing/

It is unlikely that giving any more Charcoal now would be of benefit anyway if the chocolate was eaten 2 days ago. Toxic effects of Theobromine usually occur rapidly in Rabbits and are amount ingested dependent.

I would make sure your Rabbit has access to AND EATS lots of hay and that she has a good intake of water. Monitor poo and urine output carefully.

Try not to handle her for a few days unless absolutely essential, just sit quietly in her company and allow her to approach you if she wants too. Rabbits don’t have the capacity to ‘hate’ as humans do. Any behaviour that could be interpreted as hate are usually fear and/ or stress induced. Ivy won’t bear any grudges against you in the long term, just give her time to de- stress.

If you are concerned that she is not eating well, has any abnormal poo output eg very small poo, no poo or diarrhoea, then you need to contact the Vet again.

Hopefully Ivy will be fine :)

This.

Back