• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mouldy food touching non mouldy food, how bad is it ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Babydarling had apple from the fridge.

I had no idea the rest of the animals had an apple from the fruit bowl which had a very mouldy nectarine in there. James didn't wash it, I'm so cross.

If the apple had touched the black mouldy nectarine, is there any risk ?

I have thrown everything away now. I should not have let James fed the animals, I usually do it and check everything.

Hopefully any risk will be minimal. They will only have ingested a small amount and it was a one off event. Problems would be far more likely to occur if they had long term ingestion of a contaminated food.

Just keep an eye on poo output and encourage a good intake of hay and water. If I were you I would give them a probiotic such as Fibreplex for 5 days and some Milk Thistle. The latter can act as a Liver protectant.

Try not to stress and overthink things too much. Rich, coming from me I know !!

That's a great help. It probably happens more often than we think.

I was making a salad this week and the shop bought parsley had a ladybird on it, sadly gone. Could have easily not noticed and eaten the poor thing.

I agree with Jane and that it's very unlikely to be a issue with a small amount. I also agree with you that it will be happening a lot more often than people are aware of.

We garden organically and so a lot of the green food that our rabbits and chickens eat will not be absolutely problem free.

I agree with Jane and that it's very unlikely to be a issue with a small amount. I also agree with you that it will be happening a lot more often than people are aware of.

We garden organically and so a lot of the green food that our rabbits and chickens eat will not be absolutely problem free.

Thanks x

Back