• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in Extreme Heat - Things to Look Out for

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Most Rabbits cope with our Summers but I have 2 small Netherlands which can start to tremble when it gets very hot. I am not sure why they do this, maybe someone knows, but I am assuming it is not a good sign and I shall be keeping a careful eye on them and will bring them indoors where it is cooler. I have also noticed this year that although they aren't drinking any more or less, they aren't weeing as much, so I assume liquid is being absorbed in another way. Just thought I would mention these things.

Thanks Tonibun, I hope your bunnies manage to cope ok. We've shut the blinds in our kitchen for our house bunnies and made more shaded areas near the patio doors. Luckily our kitchen is the cooler side of the house at the hottest part of the day. We've also cleared and opened up our cupboard under the stairs for them to hide in, there is a vent in there too so they've got a good flow of cooler air and of course there'll be lots of water available!

I'm very worried for tomorrow because its not just the heat but the higher risk of fire. I just hope nothing really bad happens, other peoples lack of common sense really concerns me, people having BBQ's etc etc I could lose everything if a disaster were to happen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my animals and my home come out of this unharmed otherwise life wont be worth living if lose everything.

Last edited:
Mine don't seem to be too bad, I've got all the windows and blinds closed today with a fan on, not that it does much... Lilac is clever and lies on cool tiles, but Rupert usually seeks out the sun when it shines in so I think he actually must like it? I give them bottles of iced water to lie against and have occasionally wiped a damp cloth over their ears but they're not massive fans of that! Hope everybun manages to stay safe.

Its not been too bad today. The rabbits have been lying down a lot and I put them on the couch with me in front of the fan and put some water on there ears. Lucky got frustrated a couple of times and nipped me which must be due to the heat. There droppings have become wet and clumpy.

All my rabbits live outside and none of them will go near their frozen water bottles, despite encouragement.

All my rabbits live outside and none of them will go near their frozen water bottles, despite encouragement.

Mine don't like frozen water bottles either, Lacey digs a shallow hole in the damp compost and lays in it to keep cool. I put a frozen water bottle in there sleeping area for tonight regardless.

I brought the 2 which start to shake into the kitchen with the fan blowing onto them and they were much happier. The house and garden kept at around 26-29 all yesterday and it's still 26 indoors today. Too hot for me but Bunnies were still keen to eat! :roll:

I brought the 2 which start to shake into the kitchen with the fan blowing onto them and they were much happier. The house and garden kept at around 26-29 all yesterday and it's still 26 indoors today. Too hot for me but Bunnies were still keen to eat! :roll:

Glad you and bunnies are getting on ok down there Tonibun, will they let you share the fan :lol:

I bought Loganberry and Moondust in. Their shed was at 31 degrees and has since gone over 40 ...

They were delighted and have been hopping around, eating hay and generally being normal rabbits.

The other 3 are in the bigger, insulated shed with an aviary run and all seem to be pretty ok. They were eating when I went in earlier and definately make the most of the run in the evenings, unlike Logan and Moondust who NEVER went in their run.

I bought Loganberry and Moondust in. Their shed was at 31 degrees and has since gone over 40 ...

They were delighted and have been hopping around, eating hay and generally being normal rabbits.

The other 3 are in the bigger, insulated shed with an aviary run and all seem to be pretty ok. They were eating when I went in earlier and definately make the most of the run in the evenings, unlike Logan and Moondust who NEVER went in their run.

Aww glad they are all doing ok :)

Glad you and bunnies are getting on ok down there Tonibun, will they let you share the fan :lol:

I'm not a lover of fans really so they had it all to themselves. While they are indoors I am going to blitz their hutch, when it cools down.

I can't wait for the rain. Clouds are forming, Me and my bunnies will be watching the rain and hopefully a fantastic thunderstorm but a safe one that wont blow my roof off. Rabbits are quite resilient but I can tell they are really not enjoying the heat. Judging by the looks of the clouds its just going to be a light drizzle. The clouds aren't very dark.

Last edited:
It's gone overcast here, but there's no rain forecast for days. At least it's cool enough to take the dogs out now

I've been so grumpy & argumentative today. We never got rain & now its not forecast at all :evil:

Buns are ok. Eddy in the mood for some lovin, Boo grunting her rejections

Hi everyone. Sorry not posted for a while. I am looking after my granddaughter a few days a week and I'm constantly shattered.

I am concerned about Mr Chief. Lillabelle is fine. Her coat is shorter plus she is younger at 1 years old. However Mr Chief is not coping so well.

He is breathing much faster than usual and his ears are warm. I have been spritzing them but he hates it and is hiding under the bed constantly. He is also not eating much. I gave him veggies and some pellets and he ate some which I know must be a good sign. Other than that I don't know what to do.

They have cooled water in both bottles and bowls and I add ice cubes but I've not seen him drink today. That is not to say he isn't drinking. He usually would be out in the evening for veggies and fresh hay but he just lies there.

His breathing seems to be slowing down now as I write this and we have a nice wind through the flat so hopefully it has cooled him down. He did just flop on his side but got straight up again but he is falling asleep. I hope this means he is less stressed now.

It has been a horrible day and my stomach has been in bits worrying he is ok and being prepared we may have to take him to the vets.I think we will clip his underside now as his fur is so long. And get ceramic tiles to lay down in the flat. I'm just glad the worst of the hot weather is over now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mr Chief will probably have lung scarring from his previous infections. So this will make the heat even more of a challenge for him. I hope by now his respiratory rate has slowed down/ returned to normal. It sounds as though you are doing all you can to try to keep him cool. But any Rabbit with compromised lung function might need pharmacological intervention too. So if he is still really struggling I would call the Vet for advice.

Back