• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

IMPORTANT! Outdoor buns in hot weather

belly

Young Bun
With the weather being ridiculously hot over the coming days I thought a thread for those with outdoor buns would be useful.

Personally I will be bring mine inside for the hot hot periods. Lots of cold water and keeping the room at a good temp.

What is everyone doing? Anyone have any experiences/advice/tips of keeping buns hydrated and cool in this weather.

Unless you live in a basement its hotter inside than it is outside, keeping them in shade is vital. There is no wind in this heat neither.

Here is what I'm going to do. I'm going to keep an eye on things and if I feel temperatures are getting hotter then I'm going to prepare the bathroom by putting some wet towels on the floor and having more damp towels on hand and me and the bunnies will spend those couple days in the bathroom. I can sit in a cold bath while I keep the bunnies cool in damp towels and they will have food and plenty of water. I think its only going to be for two days. the bunnies will have the hallway too as a dry area outside the bathroom.

I have been hosing down the sheds. All windows are covered with sheets or duvets (shed windows are still open).

Going to get some bottled water and freeze it overnight so that they can all have cool things to cuddle up to. Will cover with cotton pillowcases to stop tongues sticking to the cold bottle.

Our house seems pretty cool inside so the dogs, guinea pigs and hamster are ok.

Back