• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump on Jaw

The injections went terribly, I think we've just covered ourselves and Blossom in them. I've cleaned her as best i can but I've no idea if it's dangerous?

She's very dopey but I had a lot of trouble getting a triangle of skin so I think possibly she needs more fluids. She ate a tiny bit of romaine lettuce.

I'm waiting til our main vets open at 8.30 now rather than spend 40 mins taking her to the other one.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

The injections went terribly, I think we've just covered ourselves and Blossom in them. I've cleaned her as best i can but I've no idea if it's dangerous?

She's very dopey but I had a lot of trouble getting a triangle of skin so I think possibly she needs more fluids. She ate a tiny bit of romaine lettuce.

I'm waiting til our main vets open at 8.30 now rather than spend 40 mins taking her to the other one.

I suspect you are right about her needing more fluids. Are you syringe feeding?
Sending more vibes.

I suspect you are right about her needing more fluids. Are you syringe feeding?
Sending more vibes.
No we weren't initially just in case of a blockage and then the emergency vet said her stomach was very gassy and big so we only gave a tiny amount.

She's been admitted for fluid therapy today and then we'll probably have her home again tonight or tomorrow once her fluid levels are a bit better.

No update yet but I wonder if anyone knows if possibly it could be an EC flare up?

We only finished treatment about 2 months ago buy I wonder if the bonding has caused enough stress to reignite it?

No update yet but I wonder if anyone knows if possibly it could be an EC flare up?

We only finished treatment about 2 months ago buy I wonder if the bonding has caused enough stress to reignite it?

Its not something I associate with EC but no clue if its possible. sending love Blossom lots of feel better soon wishes x

Thank you J&B

Just had an update she passed some hard dry poos after Iv fluids and syringe food around 2pm.

She has just now passed a pile of normalish poo so things are still a bit sluggish but gut sounds are picking up.

We could be looking at delayed dehydration from the heat wave as a possibility. They had lots of extra water and ice pods available but she may just not have had enough.

She's staying in overnight to keep her Iv in and keep her gut nice and hydrated and then home in the morning if things continue as they are.

Rodney has been keeping her company and warning off the nurses by stomping at them nice and loudly.

Sounds as though she is responding to treatment. I am a great believer in fluid therapy for all cases of gut stasis. It really can be as beneficial as prokinetics.

Sounds as though she is responding to treatment. I am a great believer in fluid therapy for all cases of gut stasis. It really can be as beneficial as prokinetics.
Yes I definitely agree. I've taken to asking for them every time now, most of the vets at least agree to sub q before we go home if they're not staying in.

It's not as effective but still seems to make a massive difference. I do need to learn how to do these and injections properly, this morning was like a comedy sketch where everyone else got medicine except the bun.

I jabbed myself with the needle making it unusable, then hubby pressed too hard on something and sprayed us all with it before he got under the skin. I didn't want to waste anymore after that as they were almost £10 each

Good to hear that Blossom is improving :love: Good also to hear that Rodney is being Rodney :lol:

Yes I definitely agree. I've taken to asking for them every time now, most of the vets at least agree to sub q before we go home if they're not staying in.

It's not as effective but still seems to make a massive difference. I do need to learn how to do these and injections properly, this morning was like a comedy sketch where everyone else got medicine except the bun.

I jabbed myself with the needle making it unusable, then hubby pressed too hard on something and sprayed us all with it before he got under the skin. I didn't want to waste anymore after that as they were almost £10 each

I give sub Q fluids for stasis. Since they must be absorbed, which may be difficult for a bunny who is very ill, they do not work as quickly as IV. They also may need to be warmed slightly to keep from lowering body temp. This is also why IME, I initially give a smaller quantity and see how quickly they absorb it before giving more. However, in a recovering rabbit, who is maintaining their body temp, I find I only need to give sub Q fluids twice a day and the bunny absorbs the fluids as needed.
Your story about jabbing yourself is familiar, though with some bunnies it is easier to give an injection than to get a liquid med into their mouth.

Update from the vet, she's in good spirits and taking syringe food like a champ.

Still tolerating the IV as well which is amazing, last time she chewed through 4 of them [emoji1787].

Provisionally coming home at 3pm if nothing changes, her output is still small for her but good volume. Still not eating fantastically just nibbling.

She has some points on her teeth butthe vet feels they're ones that shouldn't cause any irritation and there's no evidence of any but it's possible it's making eating feel strange to her.

She's home!

They have had one of the loveliest nurses I've ever met and tested the vets new exotics only ward.

She's still on 4 hourly feeds and had iv fluids this morning but she's very much back to herself and not dopey or sleepy anymore.

She's been munching a bit of greens and hay and her output is still a bit small but nice and regular.

We've got three days of meds and then we'll review but fingers crossed we're through the crisis now.

Back