• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump on Jaw

Wonderful news. We would make a fortune if we invented no chew IV lines! Blossom, I hope you get extra treats for being such a good girl.

Unfortunately we're not seeing much munching and no output at all.

I wonder if the stress of the trip has upset things, or the Buprenorphine that she had this morning has run out and she's sore.

She also seems to have weepy eyes which she didn't have at the vets. I wonder if we have an irritant here that's bothering her.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Unfortunately we're not seeing much munching and no output at all.

I wonder if the stress of the trip has upset things, or the Buprenorphine that she had this morning has run out and she's sore.

She also seems to have weepy eyes which she didn't have at the vets. I wonder if we have an irritant here that's bothering her.

Have a feel around her face for lumps again. I suspect something Dental going on. Did you mention the disappearing ‘lump’ episode to the Vet ?

IME Buprenorphine can cause marked sedation and lack of appetite in some Rabbits.

Is there a specific reason why the Vet prescribed it instead of Meloxicam ?

Have a feel around her face for lumps again. I suspect something Dental going on. Did you mention the disappearing ‘lump’ episode to the Vet ?

IME Buprenorphine can cause marked sedation and lack of appetite in some Rabbits.

Is there a specific reason why the Vet prescribed it instead of Meloxicam ?
It was the emergency vet, I asked him for something else because of the side effects but he said it was the only stronger painkiller he had on hand for her and he was worried about how stressed she was presenting and thought it might help.

To be fair her flinches during the examination were terrible and he was worried Loxicom wasn't enough. I actually had to ask him to up the dose of Loxicom because he wasn't giving her enough. He dealt very well with all my challenging questions.

Then the regular vet said he'd continue to use it while they were managing her fluids and then taper it off for coming home.

She has now started producing dry little poos so fingers crossed we're making some progress.

Both vets said she had spurs but no signs of any irritation and the lump had disappeared completely. She had skull xrays not long ago for the EC and no signs of any tooth root problems then but that may well of changed.

It was the emergency vet, I asked him for something else because of the side effects but he said it was the only stronger painkiller he had on hand for her and he was worried about how stressed she was presenting and thought it might help.

To be fair her flinches during the examination were terrible and he was worried Loxicom wasn't enough. I actually had to ask him to up the dose of Loxicom because he wasn't giving her enough. He dealt very well with all my challenging questions.

Then the regular vet said he'd continue to use it while they were managing her fluids and then taper it off for coming home.

She has now started producing dry little poos so fingers crossed we're making some progress.

Both vets said she had spurs but no signs of any irritation and the lump had disappeared completely. She had skull xrays not long ago for the EC and no signs of any tooth root problems then but that may well of changed.

Hopefully thinks will continue to move through now. Is she still having fluids ?

Just some oral syringes from me because she's not drinking. Plus the syringe feed is quite wet, it's not one I've used before and it's like a cross between baby formula and custard.

The bits she has been nibbling are wet as well.

I'm starting to think we're not on enough pain relief. She's not really relaxing much and progress on poo is slow.

I think we'll see how we go at 4pm meds and feed but I'm not optimistic I would have thought the Buprenorphine would have worn off by now and she's still very quiet.

So we're adding an extra dose of ranitidine and Emeprid at midnight so she has it 3 x today and see if she improves.

If not she has an appointment tomorrow afternoon in case.

Thank you for all the vibes.

The more water I get into her the better things seem to be. Her poo is still tiny but much more often with the extra dose of meds.

She ate a bit more of her breakfast romaine leaf but again not much else.

Rodney is now starting to show signs of shrinking poo as well, I suspect the stress is starting to take its toll. Or we have an environmental stress that I haven't been able to find.

I do think this is likely her teeth even though she doesn't have ulcers or cuts on her tongue or cheek. She sits by food or water like she wants it but can't bring herself to have any. I fear maybe her roots are causing an issue.

But we also noticed some squinting in the loo today, maybe from the Emeprid cramps but I wonder if sludge might be a thought. I think we'll probably need some xrays.

If you can get the Vet to show you how to give SQ fluids it can be a huge help. With stasis getting enough fluids in just orally is unlikely to be possible. But if you can do SQs at home then it means less stress for the Bunny with having to go back and forth to the Vets.

If you can get the Vet to show you how to give SQ fluids it can be a huge help. With stasis getting enough fluids in just orally is unlikely to be possible. But if you can do SQs at home then it means less stress for the Bunny with having to go back and forth to the Vets.
Yes I think I will ask them to teach me how to do one while I'm there so I can get a feel for it rather than just watching.

Blossom is usually a big drinker so getting the same amount in to her via wet food, syringe feed and syringes just isn't possible.

hows Blossom today?
She's a bit perkier and badgering me for treats (the only thing she eats reliably) but she's tired a lot and poo is terrible.

I really think we're looking at teeth as both her eyes are wet and a bit goopy.

She's a bit perkier and badgering me for treats (the only thing she eats reliably) but she's tired a lot and poo is terrible.

I really think we're looking at teeth as both her eyes are wet and a bit goopy.

I'm sorry it looks like dental :( Good she is feeling perkier though

Well vet has had another look and so far so good. Ironically Blossom presented really well and was happily showing off to the vet how healthy she was feeling.

We're going to carry on as we are until Thursday and if things don't improve then xrays and bloodwork will need to be done.

Back