• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump on Jaw

Blossom seems to have developed a lump on her jaw. Her fur is sticking out at an odd angle over it.

She's still eating, drinking and pooing as usual but seemed a bit upset when I felt it.

I know abcess is probably the most likely option but I'm sure there are others and I've booked her in at 5pm.

Could anyone share what kind of treatment plan I might be looking at for her?

Unfortunately her EC used up almost the max of our insurance for the year so I'm terrified I'm not going to be able to afford it all.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Not sure it's totally visible here.
30ba77073ed1144542fa2e28fccceafd.jpg
996ff0c3d7b56518fcb1412dce3e08d0.jpg

Sending loads of vibes for Blossom and I hope her vet appointment goes well.

It will depend on what the vet suspects the lump is. If he considers it's an abscess, then I think the likely treatment would be abx and excision. It will depend on the size and exact location of the lump, I think. When Tan, my Rex doe had a cheek abscess, she had a course of abx first of all to try to shrink it a bit. Then it was totally removed under GA, with abx beads put in the excision site, which was then closed. Sometimes it seems the wound is left open to drain, but I'm not sure under what circumstances this would be. Tan then had a few weeks of injectable Penicillin. This completely cured the issue and she never developed another one. The vet told me that the abscess was not connected to her teeth.

I don't have insurance and I'm sorry but it was several years ago and I can't remember the total cost.

Sorry to hear this. An abscess is the most likely cause of a lump on the jaw. They can be due to tooth root infections but skull radiographs would be needed to fully assess that. Surgical intervention is almost always needed as systemic abx alone are unlikely to be curative. The one ‘good’ thing is that not all jaw abscesses cause a lot of pain. I hope the Vet can give you a better idea of exactly what you are dealing with.

Now it seems to have disappeared! I went in to get their carrier and massaged her again and now I don't think I can feel anything!

Starting to feel a bit paranoid now, have called hubby home to check I'm not going mad in the heat.

Now it seems to have disappeared! I went in to get their carrier and massaged her again and now I don't think I can feel anything!

Starting to feel a bit paranoid now, have called hubby home to check I'm not going mad in the heat.

Could it have been a dried cecotroph ?

Could it have been a dried cecotroph ?
You know what I think it might have been and maybe I dislodged it having a feel.

Hubby has checked her very carefully and it's completely gone.

I've called the vets to cancel for now and we'll just keep a close eye on her. I am feeling very silly. I always seem to go straight to worst case scenarios with these things!

well I hope it has gone! Everything crossed. If its any consolation I took my Noodle to see FHB for a lump that disappeared - most embarrassing consult ever :lol:

No don't feel silly, whatever you felt at the time was there. You did the right thing making an appointment, but thank goodness for a happy update. I think sometimes bunnies do these things just to worry us, little darlings :lol:

Don’t feel silly! She probably had something stuck inside her mouth at the time. A friend once thought a bunny had a lump, turned out it was the microchip!

Thank you all for being here.

So much going on at the moment I seem to lurch from one disaster to the next constantly so I'm always on alert for another one!

It is better to make the appointment because spaces are so limited at good vets.
Usually things does not go away until after we get to the vets.:lol:
Good news.

Just back from the emergency vets. Now a different one to our daytime one as they've outsourced.

Blossom is in stasis unfortunately with lots of gas. She was rather stressed and high heart rate and seemed a bit dehydrated.

She's been given Loxicom, Emprid and Buprenorphine by injection along with 10ml sub q fluids, and we've been given injectable ones to continue with (new one for us).

Also on my apparently black market according to the vet supply of Ranitidine.

Fingers crossed we've caught it early and nipped it in the bud! She was in a lot of discomfort but seems much better now we're home and 40 mins after her injections.

Back