• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionheads in 36c Temperatures!

Zarla

Alpha Buck
We have three 36c days forecast and a very fluffy bunny who's not coping too well even with the 31c days we've had this week. She won't drink water but gets all her hydration from dark leaved lettuce.

So far I've been lightly sponging her ears and coat with cool fresh water at the hottest time of day (not drenching her). She's not keen but at least spends some time licking the water off. Any other tips? She's a house rabbit.

We have three 36c days forecast and a very fluffy bunny who's not coping too well even with the 31c days we've had this week. She won't drink water but gets all her hydration from dark leaved lettuce.

So far I've been lightly sponging her ears and coat with cool fresh water at the hottest time of day (not drenching her). She's not keen but at least spends some time licking the water off. Any other tips? She's a house rabbit.

Keep her in the coolest room in the house

Close all blinds/ curtains

If you have an air con unit they really are a godsend

Fans just push hot air about really, but might be better than nothing

Frozen water bottles that Bunny can lie next to

If you have any old ceramic tiles then put them in the freezer for a while, then place on floor so Bunny can lie on or near them too

If you don’t already do so give water in a bowl

You could add a splash of unsweetened apple juice to the water, it might tempt her to drink

Thank you, Jane! I will try those tips. Forecast is now 39c on Tuesday which is hotter than Cairo or the Maldives.

I think a lot of us will be going through this heat with our bunnies. Unless you live in a basement apartment/home then there will be no cool rooms. Its always hotter indoors than it is outside. A fan is good short term for like 20 minutes until you get hot air blowing about the place. My bunnies don't like ice bottles much I think the ice freaks them out because its strange to them but they will lick the water from outside the bottle.

These hot summers won't be going away and we're all going to need air conditioning systems. Perhaps there is something you can buy like a water cool air conditioning thing for you and the rabbit.

Last edited:
"My bunnies don't like ice bottles much I think the ice freaks them out because its strange to them but they will lick the water from outside the bottle."

I tried her with a big ice bottle last year and she was horrified by it and steered clear, but she was only around six months old then.

The unsweetened apple juice is a great idea which I'm going to try.

I am starting to really worry how this is going to go... I just ordered lots of ice packs so I can put them inside the guinea pig cage and just keep them on rotation.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I am starting to really worry how this is going to go... I just ordered lots of ice packs so I can put them inside the guinea pig cage and just keep them on rotation.

If you're really worried I'm happy to piggie sit for you for Monday Tuesday, we have air-conditioning [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Open your doors and windows really early in the morning for a couple of hours and let the air blow through the house. It really cools the house down.

If you're really worried I'm happy to piggie sit for you for Monday Tuesday, we have air-conditioning [emoji38]

Aww... that's so nice of you! Every year we talk about getting air con...

The film on the piggy window that someone recommended (Shimmer?) definitely does something. So at the moment I'm thinking of taping tin foil to all of the windows on Sunday and Monday. We'll look like some kind of squat/crack den.

Aww... that's so nice of you! Every year we talk about getting air con...

The film on the piggy window that someone recommended (Shimmer?) definitely does something. So at the moment I'm thinking of taping tin foil to all of the windows on Sunday and Monday. We'll look like some kind of squat/crack den.

Ah like reflectix!

Yea the aircon has been amazing tbh in this hot weather, idm the heat but Michael can't stand it and the house feels so cool, like a fridge when you come in from outside [emoji38] even I'll be in the aircon on Monday, Tuesday tho that's too hot, especially in the UK.

My bunnies are scared of iced water bottles too, it's been a bit of a nightmare, but this year I found a solution.

I wrap ice blocks (the kind designed for picnic baskets) in towels, putting them side by side to create flat base that the rabbits actually lie on when they want to cool down. I use these ones: https://www.lakeland.co.uk/72239/polar-gear-ice-board on rotation.

Mine won't lie on the Snuggle Safe cool pods either, I think because they take a while to feel cool.

I also hose their shed and run down, get everything wet, including towels on top of the run (they will hide from the hose so stay dry themselves).

Back