• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Forecast hot weather - Outdoor rabbits

Chrisrules334

Warren Scout
Hi all,

The rabbits are currently based outside and the forecast for Mon-Tue is showing highs of 34c,

We have plenty of measures in place:
- Tiles in shade for them to lie on
- Shaded hutch
- CoolPod from Snugglesafe
- Cool water
- Can spray them occasionally to mist their ears and cool them down
- Fresh cool veg

I am wondering if this is enough - 34c is very hot and I can tell they've been pretty hot the past few days as the temperature has come close to 30c. They're quite snoozy/lie flat out on the slabs to cool off.

Is it worth bringing them inside for a couple of days so they have a cooler room to chill out in?

P.s sorry if there's a post on this elsewhere, I have had a search but couldn't find anything obvious!

Thanks.

I think if you have the opportunity to bring them in to a cooler spot then I would do it. It certainly won't do them any harm. x

I would let them have access to somewhere very shady - inside if that fits best for your situation. I definitely wouldn't leave them in a hutch in this heat as they have no escape from the heat - even if it seems shaded, they could get too warm. Don't think I would be spraying their ears as it might cause more stress. Provide extra water bowls and plenty of fresh greens / grass to keep hydrated.

Thanks all,

We'll bring them in on Saturday, can tell they're getting hot already.

They've been in before when one of them was ill and we needed to keep them in an easy to monitor place. Hopefully doesn't take them long to settle down!

Back