• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Daily Bunny Update

I went out to a store called Wilko yesterday. People had been telling me how great it was and that they had lots of bunny things and even though you can just buy things online, it is nice to go out and buy stuff because I really miss that sometimes.

I got to Wilko I wasn't feeling very hopeful when I got through the door. In terms of bunny stuff they literally had nothing other than some bags of rabbit food and that was it. I needed a bit more than just a bag of food but on the positive side its one more store that sells cheap decent sizable bags of rabbit food. Its much better than paying extortionate prices for tiny bags of rabbit food in pet stores so that is always a plus.

I was hoping to find some other rabbit things that I needed:
Bunny Treats
Clicker for training
Something to help with keeping there teeth in order
Wire mesh
Bunny sleeping beds
Some tube tunnels they can play with.
Waterproof couch protector
Cable protectors

Oh well... if I was in the U.S I would have found everything I was looking for plus more. What is going on with the UK? Its rubbish for shopping it really is. I will have to "just go online" :roll:

The local park had more of what I was looking, I got some willow twigs and branches for the rabbits to chew and I could probably make some foraging toys for them out of willow stems. The plumbing store has some large PVC piping. I could make some tube tunnels for them to play in.

I went out to a store called Wilko yesterday. People had been telling me how great it was and that they had lots of bunny things and even though you can just buy things online, it is nice to go out and buy stuff because I really miss that sometimes.

I got to Wilko I wasn't feeling very hopeful when I got through the door. In terms of bunny stuff they literally had nothing other than some bags of rabbit food and that was it. I needed a bit more than just a bag of food but on the positive side its one more store that sells cheap decent sizable bags of rabbit food. Its much better than paying extortionate prices for tiny bags of rabbit food in pet stores so that is always a plus.

I was hoping to find some other rabbit things that I needed:
Bunny Treats
Clicker for training
Something to help with keeping there teeth in order
Wire mesh
Bunny sleeping beds
Some tube tunnels they can play with.
Waterproof couch protector
Cable protectors

Oh well... if I was in the U.S I would have found everything I was looking for plus more. What is going on with the UK? Its rubbish for shopping it really is. I will have to "just go online" :roll:

The local park had more of what I was looking, I got some willow twigs and branches for the rabbits to chew and I could probably make some foraging toys for them out of willow stems. The plumbing store has some large PVC piping. I could make some tube tunnels for them to play in.

Well, firstly, rabbits eating the recommended egg-cupful of good quality, non-muesli food a day means that even 6 rabbits will take a considerable time to get through a standard-sized bag.

Wilko iis a store selling a variety of goods at, very often, much cheaper prices. It is not intended as a pet shop and can hardly be expected to carry a stock of everything pet rabbit related.

Not sure what to say about your comparison with shops in America ……

All of what I get for our bunnies is either sourced online or obtained from around the property. I do feed a small amount of rabbit pellets per day, but mostly what they eat is foraged or online hay. I try to give them as natural a diet as possible. They get no bought treats.

I don't get anything especially for their teeth, as I consider the best way to wear them down is lots of hay.

Well done for finding some Willow twigs and branches. They are usually very popular and our bunnies will spend a long time stripping the leaves away, even returning to munch the smaller diameter twigs and strip the bark from the larger ones. Building sites sometimes have small offcuts of pipe that they will let you have. Ifyou know someone with an Apple or Pear tree, they might be willing to give you some prunings, which rabbits find very tasty.

From your shopping list - some suggestions:

Bunny Treats - I don't use commercial treats - they are really not necessary. A piece of apple or carrot, maybe. Dried forage is good.
Something to help with keeping there teeth in order - Hay and grass are essential for this, and should form at least 80% of their diet. Don't get those shaped wooden chews.
Wire mesh - try Wickes, Screwfix or other DIY stores. Weldmesh is preferred to chicken wire. Puppy run panels are also useful (eBay).
Bunny sleeping beds - deep litter tray or underbed storage box filed with hay. Some people use Ikea wooden toy beds
Some tube tunnels they can play with - drainage pipe offcuts, or cat play tunnels.
Waterproof couch protector - look for car seat covers for dogs. Often in poundshop type places or eBay for about £8. Or large picnic blanket.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153281257169?epid=1805529741&hash=item23b0465ed1:g:PyAAAOSwusdb~rCv

Toys: make your own -
- toilet rolls stuffed with hay
- hang willow/ apple tree branches up so they can stretch up to get the leaves
- use fresh willow to make woven play balls, etc
- empty plastic plant pots - they like to throw them around

Oh yes - I’d forgotten how they love to pick up and throw empty plastic pots, and not just small ones!

I love a good Wilko trip :lol: but generally the small pet sections are small/unsuitable, I do sometimes get willow ball trio, chube tunnels and their dandelion mix though. Is it science selective the pellets from there? I buy my guinea pig science selective from there as the other diets I've seen are muesli or their own brand pellets I'm not sure how good they are. The science selective or excel small bags last ages when I had 3 bunnies as only get an eggcup a day each so doesn't matter really where I get them from.

I use vet uk, hay and straw.co.uk, and hay experts for other bits on your list

Most definitely on the store bought treats I find they are not worth buying considering they are mostly made from junk and you can make better treats with dried fruit and stuff. I have been looking at puppy pens and they look just what I'm after although I'll be buying a few to make larger pens and also make the walls higher. Lamb Chop is quite the jumper. They all get plenty of hay I just thought they might need something tougher to chew to help maintain there teeth. I'm going to be naughty and steal some nice willow logs from the park before they start rotting. I could make a nice natural looking table out of them for my living room which will double as a bunny chew and play thing.

I've just had to remove Lacey from Lam Chop as Lamb Chop keeps humping her chasing her about so before a fight happens I've separated them.

I think lino is there favorite treat although it can't be good for them, they seem hell bent on eating it lol. I don't care about the lino and I'd tear it off the floor myself except its very old and well stuck down Its only in the hallway which will one day be tiled when I get around to doing it. They have lots of hay, food, and willow but they want the lino instead. I've got to say it must be very tasty. I've put slabs over the parts that they were eating until they find another area of lino.

I have access to some plum trees would they like the branches of those?

Last edited:
I think lino is there favorite treat although it can't be good for them, they seem hell bent on eating it lol. I don't care about the lino and I'd tear it off the floor myself except its very old and well stuck down Its only in the hallway which will one day be tiled when I get around to doing it. They have lots of hay, food, and willow but they want the lino instead. I've got to say it must be very tasty. I've put slabs over the parts that they were eating until they find another area of lino.

I have access to some plum trees would they like the branches of those?

Good decision to separate Lamb Chop and Lacey before they actually fight.

I have had lino nibbled at the edges in their shed. The problem is that if they are also ingesting it, it could cause a blockage, so I would try to prevent it.

I do not feed the branches of any tree with stone fruits, as some sites consider that it is toxic for rabbits. I'm not completely convinced that it is, however, I have access to other wood here so don't take the chance. Apple, Pear, Hop Vine and Grape Vine are definitely all safe. Rose is also OK as long as it hasn't been sprayed. They particularly like Rose petals :)

They usually like to play in and out of a large, sturdy, upturned cardboard box too. Just cut a couple of holes in the side for and in and an out. Make sure also that they are not eating it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations everybody. My local park has plenty of willow so I'll just give them that for now. I suspect if I put out an ad for some other pear/apple etc I could get some trimmings or maybe even some nice logs.

Lucky has managed to find more lino to eat which I wasn't happy about so I'm going to have to block off the hallway until I can put something down otherwise I could end up with a very sick bunny He also uncovered a hole by the front door which I can see was a bodged repair by the council. I have some repairs to do. Mice can be a common sight when you own rabbits so I will need to block that hole up properly with some cement. I also will need to fill in some holes outside to prevent mice where there outdoor enclosure is.

Last edited:
I think I have found a solution to stop rabbits from eating things that might be harmful to them. Rabbits will always find something to chew that they shouldn't no matter what. My solution is Neem oil which is non toxic and will not taste very nice so it should prevent rabbits from eating things they shouldn't. I used neem oil for my plants sometimes which acts as a natural pesticide. It seems to be working so far.

I think I have found a solution to stop rabbits from eating things that might be harmful to them. Rabbits will always find something to chew that they shouldn't no matter what. My solution is Neem oil which is non toxic and will not taste very nice so it should prevent rabbits from eating things they shouldn't. I used neem oil for my plants sometimes which acts as a natural pesticide. It seems to be working so far.

I am familiar with Neem Oil. I would keep a close watch on whether your bunnies are consuming any. As you say it is a pesticide, whether natural or otherwise, and so I would be concerned if they ingested any.

This wiki page advises that it's not harmful to mammals as long as it's not concentrated directly onto their food source. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil

Whilst I know it's not easy, I would try to physically prevent them from accessing things they should not be eating.

I am familiar with Neem Oil. I would keep a close watch on whether your bunnies are consuming any. As you say it is a pesticide, whether natural or otherwise, and so I would be concerned if they ingested any.

This wiki page advises that it's not harmful to mammals as long as it's not concentrated directly onto their food source. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil

Whilst I know it's not easy, I would try to physically prevent them from accessing things they should not be eating.

I agree. Personally I would not use Neem Oil on anything that a Rabbit might ingest.

I've found the only way to stop rabbits destroying something is to either stop access to it altogether or provide alternative entertainment so they are no longer interested in destruction. Lino edges can be hidden by screwing narrow wooden strips down along the wall edge, or use puppy panels to keep things out of reach. Food usually works as a distraction - which is where willow branches, etc come in. If you are inventive about placing them (ie not just chucked on the floor), it makes them more interesting.

I've found the only way to stop rabbits destroying something is to either stop access to it altogether or provide alternative entertainment so they are no longer interested in destruction. Lino edges can be hidden by screwing narrow wooden strips down along the wall edge, or use puppy panels to keep things out of reach. Food usually works as a distraction - which is where willow branches, etc come in. If you are inventive about placing them (ie not just chucked on the floor), it makes them more interesting.

The thing is that its the floor and I can't stop access to it. I have covered up the parts they were eating but they always bite new holes to eat. I'm going to be putting down some slabs over the lino today so they can't eat anymore of it.

Back