• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Daily Bunny Update

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
So I just wanted to make a thread about my bunnies which will be lots of different stuff.

Right now I have Lacey and Lucky who are Dutch rabbits. They are so trusting and chilled I plan on free roaming my bunny family around the house but I still have areas that I need to bunny proof and then after that they will have the run of the house apart from the bathroom because it would be gross if one went behind the toilet for a lay down so the bathroom will be out of bounds.

Today I was unsuccessful of my latest rescue I was hoping to have another doe to join Lacey because I'm having to separate Lucky because he is an un-neutered male. Tomorrow I will give the RSPCA a ring to get some advice. I've always got my hands tied because I may have another rescue of a very nice dalmatian mini lop with blue eyes to join my bunny family.

I'm hoping to have the perfect bunny family although it may change in terms of rabbit colors and breeds.

Its very hot right now so Lacey and Lucky are mostly laying down chilling out.

Last edited:
The best thing to do is neuter and vaccinate, and bond the two you have and see how you go on with those. Then add to them in the future.

They are bonded but I need to think about getting Lucky neutered as a first priority but if he is to young for it I will get there vaccines sorted in the mean time. Lucky will have his own space. He is a very nice rabbit and very sociable and loves attention and hanging out with me.

I've just been thinking of ways to bunny proof my entire house because the more space the better. Bunnies love peeing on couches or beds, they always choose the soft things to use as a toilet so this is where a water proof couch protector comes in. I also have house plants which some can be toxic to bunnies and I know they will want to chomp those down like there is no tomorrow and originally I was going to use wire mesh but it contains lead and can be harmful if chewed, so I came across wire sheaving grids to where I can zip tie them together and make a fence around the plants. Things like shoes and clothing will be put away in plastic boxes and cables rapped up in cable tubes or re-purposed garden hose if it works out cheaper. The rest is common sense. I have a lot of antique wood all around my house so making a bunny safe but foul tasting spray to put onto the wood might be a deterrent from bunnies chewing up parts of the house.

If there are any ideas people have, or things people have re-purposed I'd love to hear about them.

They are bonded but I need to think about getting Lucky neutered as a first priority but if he is to young for it I will get there vaccines sorted in the mean time. Lucky will have his own space. He is a very nice rabbit and very sociable and loves attention and hanging out with me.

Please, please make getting the Rabbits you currently have vaccinated your absolute priority. I am on a FB Group about Myxo and RHD and there are heartbreaking accounts of multiple Rabbit deaths due to RHD. Deaths that in most cases could have been prevented had the Rabbits been vaccinated.

It is obvious you want to do the best for any Rabbits you obtain and making sure the two you currently have are vaccinated really is the most important thing before anything else.

I understand.. They will be vaccinated I'm going to make an appointment today.

I gotta watch out for fly strike in this heat but I think as long as things are kept clean everyday it shouldn't be a problem. I don't completely clean out there litter trays I only empty them because I need to make sure the scent in still in the tray so they know where to go. I'm trying to litter train them right now. I have some fly strike spray on hand just encase.

RHD is a bigger threat than flystrike, and the vaccine takes a couple of weeks to take full effect - so they will be vulnerable in the meantime and there are no warning signs that the disease has struck, other than a sudden death.

Normal hygiene measures and checking bums twice a day should be sufficient to check for flystrike in healthy, mobile rabbits. It predominantly affects rabbits with urinary incontinence or messy bums as the flies are drawn to that - so any at-risk rabbits should be checked more often and the cause of the issue addressed.

You mention getting another doe for Lacey, is Lacey a buck? A male/female combo is usually the easiest to bond.

When I had my crew indoors they had a room to themselves with a baby gate covered by c and c grids to stop any escapes. I have 2 dogs so they had to be completely separte.

Female Rabbits are very hard to bond, especially when unneutered. Even when they are sisters they will fight. You don't want to incur more stress with the heat.

Female Rabbits are very hard to bond, especially when unneutered. Even when they are sisters they will fight. You don't want to incur more stress with the heat.

My previous rabbits were does and they were fine, sometimes there was the odd fights but for the most part they got on well. When I later rescued a female Flemish Giant I had to keep her on her own because the others would bully her.

No more bunny rescues at the moment. I've been looking and there are new ads but all always outside of London "the obtainable ones" I can get the same day. After yesterday I'm going to take a break from rescuing bunnies and concentrate on the ones I have.

I saw a nice looking French Lop White with red eyes she is a bit far, however reachable. I'm to busy and tired to spend another day traveling to pick up rabbits. I can't wait for the cooler weather.

"Right now I have Lacey and Lucky who are Dutch rabbits."

I don't think Lucky is Dutch. He's pure black.

"Right now I have Lacey and Lucky who are Dutch rabbits."

I don't think Lucky is Dutch. He's pure black.

He is from the same litter with white markings. He has two white paws and two more white markings under his mouth and neck. I've been trying to get a clear photo of it but he keeps moving. Not all Dutch rabbits will be born with the Dutch markings some can come out as one color pure black etc. I used to breed them many years ago

No more bunny rescues at the moment. I've been looking and there are new ads but all always outside of London "the obtainable ones" I can get the same day. After yesterday I'm going to take a break from rescuing bunnies and concentrate on the ones I have.

I saw a nice looking French Lop White with red eyes she is a bit far, however reachable. I'm to busy and tired to spend another day traveling to pick up rabbits. I can't wait for the cooler weather.

Concentrating on the ones you already have is a great idea. It’s very easy to get overwhelmed by the need to save them all. Vaccinating and neutering the buns you have will mean they can be re bonded and will love having the run of the house.

I finally got a photo of Lucky's markings although not the best photo but it will do.

OosN662.jpg

Jcy0ucS.jpg

Lacey behaving like a dog lol

QcEuuBQ.jpg

I just had to remove part of the floor because Lucky has decided he wants to feast on the old lino. I don't mind but I don't want him eating things that might be bad for him.

I feel that Lamb Chop and Lacey can actually be left alone together tonight as they seem to get along perfectly. Lamb Chops fear has almost gone. She was a very scared and dirty bunny, now shes like a different bunny already and the vet has given her a clean bit of health other than some minor issues which will resolve themselves. I will be checking up on Lacey and Lamb Chop during the night just to make sure they are OK together.

Here are some photos of Lamb Chop.

zn4poZI.jpg

xtmNwPO.jpg

jd05Idv.jpg

OIev3Q4.jpg

Lamb Chop is a very cute bunny. She looks quite young. Do you know how old she is?

I hope she and Lacey still continue to get on OK. Personally, I would have kept Lamb Chop for longer in quarantine before introducing them.

Lamb Chop is a very cute bunny. She looks quite young. Do you know how old she is?

I hope she and Lacey still continue to get on OK. Personally, I would have kept Lamb Chop for longer in quarantine before introducing them.

She is about 8 weeks old. I was going to keep her in quarantine longer but I had to find some more cage bits to use on Lucky's enclosure as he keeps finding more things to chew lol and apart of me was eager to introduce Lamb Chop to Lacy now that I know shes is not ill. Also having one lonely bunny would be better than having three lonely bunny's. Lacy don't like being by herself and she has began to thump her foot during the night since I separated Lucky. The vet said it would be better to wait until Lucky is at least 4 months old before he can be neutered, before that he has to go back to the vet for something and I've forgot what its called now.... with the females I have to wait a bit longer before they can be spayed. They have had there first set of vaccines so far.

This will be all the bunny rescuing I'm going to do, so no more bunnies for now. Three is enough I will get a forth one at some point in the future who will be a neutered giant dalmatian breed with blue eyes and that will be my bunny family complete. :D

I watch a youtube channel where cages are chucked away when they could still serve a purpose. Rabbits shouldn't be kept in cages but the cages can still be used to bunny proof parts of the house. I found a large hamster cage the other day and took it home with me to dismantle and I made two door gates out of it and the base could be used as a litter tray or a rabbit bed, I used mine as a catch tray for some plants I have. These cages are always useful. I've got Lucky sitting here with me. The other two rabbits have been getting along very well. Lucky has been getting up to more mischief and he found more lino to eat so I may have to relocate his enclosure somewhere else before he makes himself ill on lino. I will look for some bunny safe toys for him tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back