• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harness Training

farmrbrwn

New Kit
I picked up my rabbit from the local shelter around 3 weeks ago, she's has an exercise pen but she's also allowed to roam freely throughout the basement. The main floor is full of flowers and plants which she cannot eat so the door is kept close. The basement leads out to a large garden that she can see through the glass panels on the door and often she'll sit next to the door and watch outside. I got her a harness so I can take her outside and she can explore to her hearts content, which I know she will love. Unfortunately she will not allow me to put it on her. Ive tried leaving the harness by where she eats for a few days so she can get used to the harness and slowly draping the harness over her so she can get used to the feeling. She has a very large dewlap and at the slightest hint of me trying to secure the harness around her, she'll tuck her head in her dewlap and its impossible to get anything around her. I'm running out of ideas and if anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Its lovely you've rescued this bun & thinking through all the ways to give her as nice a life as possible. Enrichment is important so I can see why you want her out there exploring. The vast majority of rabbits hate harnesses though & they carry risk of injury so best thing would be listen to her (bunnys are very wise), chuck the harness & maybe get a run so she can explore safely, in her own way & time

Its lovely you've rescued this bun & thinking through all the ways to give her as nice a life as possible. Enrichment is important so I can see why you want her out there exploring. The vast majority of rabbits hate harnesses though & they carry risk of injury so best thing would be listen to her (bunnys are very wise), chuck the harness & maybe get a run so she can explore safely, in her own way & time
Yea completely agree, YouTube bunnies binkying, can't do that in a harness! They're so funny when they zoom too [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

As others have said, unfortunately most buns hate harnesses. If your garden is not secure I would just get a run where you can supervise her, then she will be able to explore safely.

Back