• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfred - sadly passed

So very sorry for your loss. He had such a sweet time in your household.

Rest in peace Alfred.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and support. I know you have all felt the grief and loss of your own beloved pets and that in all your different ways, you all understand how it feels. I just feel so incredibly empty now. I have not posted a tribute to Alfred yet - not because I do not want to but simply because I am struggling so much now.
I have spent the last hour communicating with a bereavement councillor from the blue cross in an attempt to try and help me understand why. But I am still not able to process the last 2 days of Alfreds life. A week ago everything was absolutely fine. Both Flo and Alfred had their own routines, they had loads of happy garden time and everything had a balance. But my world is once more just ripped apart and I feel more alone and more empty than I have ever felt. Today I have just done things because they were automatic. Nothing had a purpose. I looked into our garden and all I could see was Flo. It is empty. Even now, I’m sitting in the garden and it’s empty. Flo is inside and she is hurting and she doesn’t understand and I have to again find a way somehow to move forward and to find a way to support Flo. Poor Flo - she deserves so much better than me. And I don’t have the skills to help her.
She has come out into the lawn as I type - I am her only comfort now - she has lost both her companions in 18 months and my own heart just can’t take any more. My eyes are sore with the tears I’ve shed today and will continue to shed. Our house, our lives are so much emptier now without the imposing presence of Alfred.
I’m sorry everyone - I’m just not in a good way right now.
Craig x

Oh Craig don’t apologise. What you are going through is heartbreaking and I, for one, recognise that gut wrenching emptiness which just goes on and on. xxx

It's little wonder that you are heartbroken Craig, so please don't feel the need to apologise. You and Jan have had so much heartbreak in recent times, it doesn't seem fair, yet still you've opened your hearts and welcomed another bunny into your home. You are obviously very caring and selfless people who love bunnies, and I think that's why they find their way to you both. Big hugs Craig xx

I hope you can find comfort in knowing that although Alfred had a short life, it was a full and happy one once he met you, Jan, and Flo.
I suspect you are trying to make sense out of an incredibly sad situation because that is what I did when the sudden loss of a beloved bunny could not be explained.
It is hard to process because You did everything right, yet the outcome is not in sync with that fact.
I hope you will continue to post pictures of Flo as she once again adjusts to having humans as her best friends.
Hugs.

I think you did all you could for Alfred, but from what information you posted on here I fear that once again you were let down by the Professionals . I really cannot understand why the Vet did not immediately take abdominal radiographs when a BG reading of 23 was found. Or not even after a significant deterioration in Alfred’s condition a few hours later. It is so important for the Vet to visually track what is going on with the blockage, if it is moving, moving and then getting stuck again leading to bloat, or many other possibilities.

Of course we should all be able to trust the Professionals when we hand over our very sick Rabbit into their care. But until Rabbit Savvy Vets become the norm rather than a rare exception sadly this type of situation will happen again. The client should not be expected to know the first thing about Rabbit Medicine. I am NOT Vet bashing, one of my best friends is a Vet, but something needs to change at the very roots of Veterinary Training, making Rabbit Medicine a much more in depth part of the Veterinary Medicine Syllabus, a separate entity to the Exotics part. Rabbits have been the third most popular domestic Pet for many years. So Vet Med Training needs to catch up.

Craig, you did your best,which is all any of us can do.

Last edited:
I’m so so sorry to hear of all you and he went through in such a short space of time.

I think you did all you could for Alfred, but from what information you posted on here I fear that once again you were let down by the Professionals . I really cannot understand why the Vet did not immediately take abdominal radiographs when a BG reading of 23 was found. Or not even after a significant deterioration in Alfred’s condition a few hours later. It is so important for the Vet to visually track what is going on with the blockage, if it is moving, moving and then getting stuck again leading to bloat, or many other possibilities.

Of course we should all be able to trust the Professionals when we hand over our very sick Rabbit into their care. But until Rabbit Savvy Vets become the norm rather than a rare exception sadly this type of situation will happen again. The client should not be expected to know the first thing about Rabbit Medicine. I am NOT Vet bashing, one of my best friends is a Vet, but something needs to change at the very roots of Veterinary Training, making Rabbit Medicine a much more in depth part of the Veterinary Medicine Syllabus, a separate entity to the Exotics part. Rabbits have been the third most popular domestic Pet for many years. So Vet Med Training needs to catch up.

Craig, you did your best,which is all any of us can do.

I agree this is likely. You know I’m not far from you. If you ever want to meet for a coffee and chat or want to talk vets and vet practices, you’re always more than welcome to drop me a message.

Binky Free Alfred. Xx

Thinking of you still Craig, I know you won't be ok but hope you're getting by. Please talk to us if it helps

I'm so sorry Craig:( I hadn't read your other thread but have caught up now and you did everything you could do for Alfred.

I'm glad he died at home with you rather than alone at the vet. Your buns have such a fantastic life with you and Jan. Sending my love to you all.

Binky free Alfred xxx

Thank you all again. I really feel very much broken now as a person. I want to make sense of all of this, and yet I am not able to. The circumstances, the situation is beyond my capacity for understanding and yet somehow I have to find someway to continue and carry on. If this had been my first loss, then perhaps, inside me, I might be able to find a coping mechanism - an acceptance perhaps that we all face the loss of a beloved pet. But this is not the first or second or third.
I joined the forum after the loss of my special rabbit Ben, and in joining the forum I have found friendship from people I have not met, but who are there to share and to hold a hand when it is needed. Years have passed but every time the grief I feel from the loss feels greater, more intense. It is getting incredibly hard to lift myself up and stare at life as I bury a pet whom I have loved so dearly and who I have lost in unexplainable circumstances.
I find myself agreeing with Jane in her previous comments - and I would like to state for the record that for someone to make such candid opinion is a sign of great strength, courage and trust. I have absolute admiration for Jane because she has those qualities.
And I also say a heartfelt sincered thank you to everyone who has taken the time, no matter how hard that may have been for them, to make a contribution to this and my other posts.
We laid Alfred to rest today. Even then, that task was trying to defeat me. Alfred had a special area he liked to sit in our garden but when we attempted to dig there, the ground was harder than concrete, baked dry by the lack of rain and compounded by the sheer volume of root interferance from the surrounding bushes which have drawn all moisture from the soil making it as compact as concrete. So i was unable to give Alfred even that last honour. We had to resort to digging up the area where all our other rabbits are laid to rest and even that area was baked solid. It took all 3 of us, my son doing more than his share of digging, 3 solid hours just to get enough depth through the clay and compact dirt so we could lay Alfred to rest. I held Alfred one final time, and even as I type this, my tears are still flowing. It just gets harder each and every time and each time I question my abilities. I keep asking my self what if, why didn't I and almost every other question about the last 3 days. Alfred was binkeying in the garden on Thursday evening. By 10pm he was at the hospital. By saturday morning he was gone. I just cant process this or understand why. Alfred was beautiful. He had such love for life and Flo was so happy with him. Flo's behaviour has noticably changed - she is also hurting and she cannot understand why Alfred has gone. And I must prioritise Flos life. She cannot change things but we have to find a way. Life is so extremely hard as you get older. Some people can deal with grief better than others and unfortunately I am one of those people who sadly, become very deeply effected. It hurts. It hurts so so much and I am tired from crying.
But I am grateful to you all for sending such kindness and supporting words.
CRaig

I'm so sorry to hear this Craig, sending love to you and your family, including Flo. You are such a devoted owner and although I don't know you I can see you have always wanted the best for your buns. I'm sorry you've been let down by your vet and I'm so sorry you lost Alfred. Thinking of you.

Oh Craig my hearts breaks for you.It's just so utterly unfair that you have lost some wonderful bunnies.Years ago I lost a little otter lop "Cleo " to bloat.within two days gone.She was only 4 and her husbun Rio was so sad.He lived a good lot of years after her.I cried for her and the unfairness of it all.Look after yourself too,sending virtual hugs.❤

I just cant process this or understand why.

You've been in my thoughts a lot since reading about Albert. You've had some terribly bad luck in recent years with your rabbits but I hope you know that none of this is your fault. Rabbits are such fragile creatures and sometimes our best just isn't enough. It's clear from reading your posts on the forum how much you deeply care and love every single rabbit in your care and they are so unbelievably lucky to have you, no matter how short their time with your family might have been. The time your rabbits have spent with you will have been the happiest of their lives, please hold onto that. Sending gentle hugs xx

Everyone hurts differently but most of us here have felt profound bunny loss & we're sat alongside you.
I lost 3 buns in 3 years, although I think about it everyday I still can't write Mousey's tribute. I can make sense of her death but I kind of did a lot of grieving when she was still here if that makes sense. When its sudden its hard - but moreso on us I think. I've had 2 sudden deaths in buns but they were pre my forum days. Alfred had a really lovely life with you & Flo but it was too short & that must really hurt. In terms of making sense of his illness, blockages happen so fast & I'd say are the top most dreaded conditions in rabbits, why we worry about stasis so much & insists buns go to the vet. You acted really fast & did everything right. It makes sense that buns go downhill so quickly with blockages, they eat something (as BB says, often their own poop) which will be moving happily through their gut til the passage gets thinner & I can imagine thats instantly uncomfortable, more so as time goes on, gas builds up, food gets stuck... It doesn't have the best prognosis but it is getting better over the years as treatment & vet understanding improves. Sadly as Jj says so many vets are nowhere near what they need to be with rabbit care, despite their love for animals, bedside manner etc

I'll never forget Alfred, King of Flops :love: Many hugs for you

Thinking of you Craig, and sending you so many hugs, losing a member of your family is heart wrenching :(

I always try to remind myself that at least I got to know them, and just have so much joy with them, but when they're taken too soon it's so so hard :'(

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Back